04 Cobra Hesitation Under Load

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
New Terminator owner here. I was going through the EZ pass toll last night, so probably rolling through in 3rd gear at about 35 mph. When I gave it some gas exiting the toll, not a lot, just accelerating back up, the car lurched and fell on it's face for a brief second, like I hit the rev limiter and fuel was completely cut off. It was raining really hard, I thought the traction control kicked in. I don't think I was even building boost at that point, probably only at 3k RPM and slowly building. Anyway, I eased into the right lane and just cruised for a bit. Almost every time I gave it some gas after that it would do the same thing, but less severe the less throttle I was giving it.

The car I purchased is an 04 with 71k on it over a month ago and I've put 3k on it since. It has a 2.93 pulley and a predator tune that came with the car, and the other bolt ons, CAI, exhaust etc. There was a dyno sheet in the glove box from 2011 and the owner and tuner's name on the sheet matches the names in the Predator tune. The billetflow pulley has some cosmetic wear so that leads me to conclude, although I don't know for sure, that the pulley and tune have been on the car for quite a few years. The car has run flawlessly the past 3k with no issues like this whatsoever. Right now the car idles with no issues, and drives with no issues, but I haven't gotten on it at all since last night. I did pull a few spark plugs, they are NGK TR6's and the tips looked whitish, like a lean condition. So I'm going to at least change the fuel filter for piece of mind and rule that out.

I've searched a lot and the most common theme is the fuel rail pressure sensor. I took the vacuum line off the sensor and it didn't have any fuel in it, and I didn't smell fuel inside the line. Do these symptoms sound like a bad FRPS? I would think there would be other driveability issues, especially under boost, which I wasn't at the time. But intermittent electrical issues can act up differently I suppose.

Dan

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wet outside..

Your lucky to touch throttle without spinning. .it's just so much torque. .

I just put new tires on and it was raining on way home..still wasn't much better..just better to handle going straight.

I try again when dry..before going crazy

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Wet outside..

Your lucky to touch throttle without spinning. .it's just so much torque. .

I just put new tires on and it was raining on way home..still wasn't much better..just better to handle going straight.

I try again when dry..before going crazy

I took it out for a spin today, nice and dry, and had no issues. I just never expected the traction control to kick on with such a light throttle. But the road was drenched, and it seems these Nitto 555's don't like water very much. Looks like you were right.

You might want to clean the MAF and I would check the tune on a dyno. Those plugs should not be white.

My thoughts exactly, I'd just feel better being a part of the tuning process instead of crossing my fingers that someone else did it right. If the plugs were fouled with fuel I wouldn't be as concerned, but lean conditions on these cars is a big no no.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fwiw..

Keep traction on when wet..

It will go sideways and point in wrong direction as fast as you can blink..

I just went with the new nittos and went 315 for 1st time.
Shopping now for new rims.they kinda to fat for stock..

Good luck with the car..ours has been great..but driven easy

awakened

Established Member
My thoughts exactly, I'd just feel better being a part of the tuning process instead of crossing my fingers that someone else did it right. If the plugs were fouled with fuel I wouldn't be as concerned, but lean conditions on these cars is a big no no.
This is the right thought but you need to act on it sooner rather than later. 3,000 miles trusting an old unknown tune is risky. Get a dyno tune on it ASAP.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Sounds like a misfire to me. Did you see the little green spinning wheel on the dash indicating the traction control activated? TC is usually turned off in the tune as well. When I got my car tuned I requested he leave the TC in working condition and he looked at me all crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
This is the right thought but you need to act on it sooner rather than later. 3,000 miles trusting an old unknown tune is risky. Get a dyno tune on it ASAP.

I'm on it ;)

Sounds like a misfire to me. Did you see the little green spinning wheel on the dash indicating the traction control activated? TC is usually turned off in the tune as well. When I got my car tuned I requested he leave the TC in working condition and he looked at me all crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely wasn't a misfire, I've felt those before and I've felt fuel shutoff. This was definitely fuel shutoff. TCS is not turned off in the tune, and I have chosen to leave it always on for now because this 04 is a big power bump from my 99.

The green wheel does come on for a second when TCS is activated, but it was so unexpected I wasn't paying attention to that at the time, so I can't say for sure.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
When my alternator was dying it had the same feeling, misfire and no acceleration. Check if its charging

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Calling around it looks like it might be a little bit before I can get on a dyno and tweak the tune. Does anybody have any experience with the "canned" pulley tune that comes with the Predator? It's not ideal, but it might be the safest bet until I can get on the dyno.

I haven't checked it out on the Predator yet, but I believe it comes with one of those tunes.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Calling around it looks like it might be a little bit before I can get on a dyno and tweak the tune. Does anybody have any experience with the "canned" pulley tune that comes with the Predator? It's not ideal, but it might be the safest bet until I can get on the dyno.

I haven't checked it out on the Predator yet, but I believe it comes with one of those tunes.
I'm running it with performance tune. .

I would trust mine if I just bumped down on pulley..

There was an update on these..I didn't do it..

From others. .you will lose options on obd2 o2 sensors...

When you plug it in it will give version number..

It will tell you what tune it's running if married to car

speedoflife

Established Member
The Nitto NT-05 is about the best (stickiest) street-legal tire that you can get other than R-compounds or drag radials.
He had NT555s.
I agree with you on the NT-05s, however - I have enjoyed the set I have on now. Hated the 555s though.

speedoflife

Established Member
So what would you recommend for a good all around tire in a 275?
Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The NT05 really is a great all around tire. Traction (dry or wet) is great, it has a stiff sidewall, it's affordable.
But I would expect 5-15k miles out of the rear tires and 7-20k out of the front. It only comes with 7/32 from the factory, which is very shallow.
That question depends more on budget than anything.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Isn't there an NT05 street and NT05r? I had the bald NT05r on mine when I got it. I'd never had a drag radial tire on a car before and I was impressed how they hooked when it's warm outside. Got new tires and decided to go with a 555r because the tire shop who's into fast car builds etc said it's a good tire for a longer life for a drag radial and hooks pretty good still too. I have been happy with them but when they get bald I'm gonna try Toyo R888r. My car only sees about 3-5k a year tops though and never rain unless it was a totally unexpected situation where it wasn't forecasted at all

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
The NT05 really is a great all around tire. Traction (dry or wet) is great, it has a stiff sidewall, it's affordable.
But I would expect 5-15k miles out of the rear tires and 7-20k out of the front. It only comes with 7/32 from the factory, which is very shallow.
That question depends more on budget than anything.

Well budget isn't as important as "use" in my situation. I'm not taking the car to the drag strip any time soon. I just need a good overall tire that balances traction and treadwear. I'd rather pay more for treadwear than traction I suppose. A tire that is best for everyday use because between May and October I'm driving the car everyday. So it will see rain.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread