04 Cobra Internals??

ANIVNM

Established Member
Before my Vette sells I want to get this right, how strong are the stock internals? What kind of boost can I run and still sleep at night? I am considering pulling the bottom end and building it stronger but I do not know enough about the motor to do it myself, or to know if I should even worry about it. I am wanting 500 RWHP minimum. Plan was to send the Eaton to get ported, and do all of the normal upgrades but I am unsure if this will produce the 500 I am looking for. If I have to swap the Eatong for a Whipple mind as well yank the motor and set it up for some major boost, right?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You won't have any trouble.

800+ has been made on the stock bottom end and cams. You won't have any trouble with that level of power and a proper tune.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yea, considering the forces some of these guys are subjecting their bottom ends to, it's somewhat rare when one "lets go". It's nice to see that Ford did one thing right and built the lower unit in these engines pretty stout.

Any minute some guy going to start ragging about how his motor consumes his pistons in short order on his 700 hp 281 cid mill :whine:

mblgjr is absolutly right about getting it tuned right. In a high state of tune these engine (any engine for that matter) life expectancy is measured in millisecond if your timing or A/F ratio goes out.

Have fun :pop:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Your internals can deffinitly hold 500 rwhp. PSI I'm not too sure what it can hold. If you want TT's id probably go with a new motor, but with a Whipple or KB, and getting rid of the Eaton, you should be able to use the same black, maybe minor things upgraded, but it wont be hard :)

BoneCrusher

Established Member
My HP/TQ numbers are from a ported eaton, TB, plenum and 2.76 upper. I added an SCT MAF and a BAP with a nice safe tune as well seeing 14-15 lbs of boost.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Pistons seem to be the weak point. With 500 rwhp you will need to do more than just basic port, pulley, intake, chip and exhaust. You will also need supporting mods such as an upgraded MAF (or MAFextender, of Diablo version), and very likely fuel pump mods. At that power level, you might also want to seriously consider cooling mods. (Do a search for posts by ShadowGray03, toofast4u and Jimmysidecar). The bottom end is not as strong as some people think, as there have been several failures. There was a poll on this site that tallied up the numbers of broken motors
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72153&highlight=bottom+end
And there is this more detailed thread as well:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12489&highlight=blown+engine+summary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread