04 Cobra overheated,smoked and died on freeway.

art408

Mr.Termi
Established Member
I was just cruising along on the freeway at 50 mph. When all of a sudden the main radiator hose burst open and the temp jump from 50% to 100% hot redline. Then I could see clouds of smoke thru the rear view mirror,then the engine died. Then I pulled on the side of the freeway. This all happened under 1 minute 15 second. When I popped the hood smoke was rising from the around the blower under the fuel rails. Engine was extremely hot.There was a little smoke coming from the driver side exhaust. The radiator and intercooler reservoir was cool to the touch. There was 75% royal purple(in the engine) with Zmax to protect the engine from burning in times of overheating.Also what I noticed when the radiator hose blew I heard a slight rattling due to the water pump having no water or detonation due to overheating. I don't know.There was no coolant in the oil. There was no oil in the coolant.
Now the engine turns over and will not start. Help Advice Please! What Am I looking for and what steps should I take to correct this problem? Thank you.:(

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I was just cruising along on the freeway at 50 mph. When all of a sudden the main radiator hose burst open and the temp jump from 50% to 100% hot redline. Then I could see clouds of smoke thru the rear view mirror,then the engine died. Then I pulled on the side of the freeway. This all happened under 1 minute 15 second. When I popped the hood smoke was rising from the around the blower under the fuel rails. Engine was extremely hot.There was a little smoke coming from the driver side exhaust. The radiator and intercooler reservoir was cool to the touch. There was 75% royal purple(in the engine) with Zmax to protect the engine from burning in times of overheating.Also what I noticed when the radiator hose blew I heard a slight rattling due to the water pump having no water or detonation due to overheating. I don't know.There was no coolant in the oil. There was no oil in the coolant.
Now the engine turns over and will not start. Help Advice Please! What Am I looking for and what steps should I take to correct this problem? Thank you.:(

I am a little confused about the sequence of events.

"radiator hose burst open and the temp jump from 50% to 100% hot redline. Then I could see clouds of smoke thru the rear view mirror,then the engine died. Then I pulled on the side of the freeway. This all happened under 1 minute 15 second."

It almost sounds like you drove for another minute and 15 seconds after the hose first blew? Is this correct?
Are you posting from a smart phone at the side of the road right now?

art408

Mr.Termi
Established Member
Jimmy,

Everything I told was in detail in the exact chain of events. No BS .Give or take might have been slightly longer but no longer than 2 minutes. But I will take a look and check for spark Now why would there be coolant in the plug well? Now you are scareing me! Btw it happened last night and I had it towed home.What a problem to deal with and I'm moving to houston in 2 months.

Ironhand

Banned
If you over heated it then chances are the deck of the block, and the heads are warped. Probably with a slight head gasket leak as well. Your motor needs to be torn down and inspected. You need to look at rod and main bearings as well as the oil pump.

Look for any signs of excess heat which will usually give a ''blueing'' to aluminum surfaces. Even 30 seconds is way to long for the engine to be at that temp. I can show you what 30 seconds overheating the motor can do to a camshaft.

Im being very serious when I say you need to tear the motor down and inspect it. Also, replace those spring clamps on your radiator hoses with regular screw type hose clamps.

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
Im being very serious when I say you need to tear the motor down and inspect it. Also, replace those spring clamps on your radiator hoses with regular screw type hose clamps.
Good info here, other than the fact this is what you didn't want to hear. I'll just emphasize the screw type hose clamps (but not the crappy ones from Home Depot) that give way and thread sideways once you start clamping :nono: Use good nice ones, there is a huge difference between what I can get locally at Shucks (O'reilly, whatever...auto places) and what you get at home stores usually.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Hopefully you get it worked out man, sounds kind of bad. Subin to see how this ends.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Why didn't you pull over sooner? I wouldn't care if there was 10 miles of traffic behind me, I would stop and shut the car off. Good luck man.

hotcobra03

Established Member
did you check the fuel shut off switch? just a thought being it most likley went into limp mode during overheating

also is everything hooked back up like maf?

Users who are viewing this thread