04 Cobra running bad. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
Its got to be the tune. sounds like to me the load values are off. here is another guy haveing similar problems. if i had a log or the ecu i can take a look at it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...5160-breaking-up-under-hard-acceleration.html

considering more then 1 shop has tuned it and that link has no relation to the issues he is having, i would disagree.... as a matter of fact, you do realize that this issue existed BEFORE it ever came to our shop? This happens when you go to accelerate from ZERO MPH to 5mph... this has NOTHING to do with breaking up under boost etc...

04Cobra85

Established Member
Hey guys. This is my first post but I have been a member for a while. I am having a big problem with my Cobra and I am at the point of pulling my hair out. The car is an 04 Mystichrome with 26k miles. I am having some driveablitity issues. The cars idles great and I can drive it as long as I do not get into boost. If I am just cruising the car does awesome but as soon as I do any type of tip in or acceleration the car will just backfire and fall on its face. I let out as soon as it does it but it feels like it will die if I did stay in it. It will do this at 1 pound of boost. I am stumped I use to be a Ford mechanic and I am at a loss.

LIST OF MODS:
2.8 kenne bell with low vacuum bypass valve running 25lbs boost
Comp Cam stage 3 cams with beehive springs
ARP head studs
SCT BA3000 MAF
JLT High boost intake
Glenns Performance 1000hp twin walbro pump fuel system
Fore fuel rails
80 lbs Ford inj
Magnafuel fuel regulator set at 42lbs baseline
NGK TR6 gapped at .025
AFCO Heat exchanger
Head cooling mod
Mac longtube headers, x pipe, magnaflow magnapacks
Spec 3+ clutch
Liberty input shaft
UPR tubular k member
Solid axle swap with Baseline Suspension
Strange Struts

Parts replaced since problem began:
MAF
Fuel pumps
fuel regulator
All fuel lines and filter
spark plugs
all ignition coils
TPS sensor
CAM and Crank sensor
Boost bypass valve
Had all exhaust valves and seats replaced
Tried a different shop for tuning

Quick history from when the problem started. The car ran great with just the 2.8 kb. I then added the comp cams and fuel system. I removed the motor and had Marvin Bridge from Bridge Racing degree the cams for me. I towed the car to Kurgan Motorsports where it did awesome on the dyno for 6 pulls. It made 710rwhp and 626ft trq. We backed the car out to test drive and the problem started as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot. He kept the car for a month and was unable to figure it out. I picked up the car and took it to BB&t Racing and they told me my heads were bad so I took the motor back out and had the heads rebuilt but the problem is still there. I am just tired of throwing money away at it. this has been going on since last summer and I need it ready For Bowling Green in October. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

it says it does it under boost here.

modular89

Established Member
04Cobra85 I will give you a call tomorrow. I am gonna add some more ground wires this week and see. I have moved the battery to the trunk so I will add some more. Bridge Racing timed the cams again the second time as well.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
as i stated, i have tried so many things it's not even funny...

between bart and me, we have over 40yrs experience with mustangs... and then throw BB&T into the mix... thats alot of experience troubleshooting... hence, why i believe there is an electrical gremlin

mikedi5775

Established Member
I had the same issue. I had a glenns Performance triple walbro setup. Turns out one pump had died. It was creating all types of air in the lines because the other two pump were pushing fuel back through the dead pump. My fuel pressure always remained normal, even with the dead pump.

modular89

Established Member
I have sent the pumps back to Glenns Performance and they sent me 2 new ones and I also upgraded to a larger Magnafuel regulator.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Same issue I had from what it sounds like. Check those sparks man, mine was wrong size from dealer :/

modular89

Established Member
Well my alternator went out so I had to replace it. I was hoping that was the problem but it is still there. I had a fellow svtp member look at it for me and we noticed that the fuel system sounds like it either has air or is pulsating. You can only feel it and hear it in the return line. He had 3 other cobras at his house and none of them had this sound. I am wondering if my pumps are not big enough for my fuel line setup. Maybe they are not able to give the volume. The fuel pressure was not increasing as boost kicked in. I just wonder if I need bigger pumps than the 2 walbro???????????

Ironhand

Banned
Well my alternator went out so I had to replace it. I was hoping that was the problem but it is still there. I had a fellow svtp member look at it for me and we noticed that the fuel system sounds like it either has air or is pulsating. You can only feel it and hear it in the return line. He had 3 other cobras at his house and none of them had this sound. I am wondering if my pumps are not big enough for my fuel line setup. Maybe they are not able to give the volume. The fuel pressure was not increasing as boost kicked in. I just wonder if I need bigger pumps than the 2 walbro???????????

It's return style so it's 100% all the time.

This is a problem.

You must have and use a boost reference fuel pressure regulator. As boost goes up then fuel pressure will go up 1psi for 1psi.

There should be a nipple on the regulator that you need to hook up to the intake track Post blower(where boost pressure occurs).

You set your base pressure with the key on and the car off at x psi. As the car pulls vacuum or boost then the reference port helps adjust the fuel pressure accordingly.

Ironhand

Banned
I have a magnafuel boost regulator part number mp-9950-b. It is supposed to support 2000hp.

"Power ratings are for naturally aspirated engines running gasoline."

I would double check the reference line and make sure all routing to the regulator is correct and fix that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread