04 Cobra running bad. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

modular89

Established Member
Well, looks like the motor is coming BACK OUT. The couldnt get it tuned either but the noticed my intake temps were around 180 degrees at idle. The said they are 99% sure that the problem is the cams. The think they may have been ground wrong and it is creating excessive valve overlap. So I am just putting the stock ones back in and eliminating that possibility and wipping my hands clean from them. They are gonna have them spin schecked to see if they are out and if they are I'm taking them straight back to comp to get my money back. On a positive side, I am getting really good at taking my motor out. Had it out in 4 hours.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
Well, looks like the motor is coming BACK OUT. The couldnt get it tuned either but the noticed my intake temps were around 180 degrees at idle. The said they are 99% sure that the problem is the cams. The think they may have been ground wrong and it is creating excessive valve overlap. So I am just putting the stock ones back in and eliminating that possibility and wipping my hands clean from them. They are gonna have them spin schecked to see if they are out and if they are I'm taking them straight back to comp to get my money back. On a positive side, I am getting really good at taking my motor out. Had it out in 4 hours.

shoot me an email

thanks bob kurgan

Zacharyx

Established Member
so the cams ran good for the dyno pulls and then went to shit??? trying to wrap my head around that

On a positive side, I am getting really good at taking my motor out. Had it out in 4 hours.

Slow Poke

04Cobra85

Established Member
Do a leak down before you pull it! If your car is getting that hot it pulls timing it was -9 degrees on the data log

hayabusa04

Established Member
04 running bad

Sounds like a voltage problem to me. A friend of mine had the same problem but under heavier boost levels. The car started fine and voltage seemed to look good. Come to find out, he had a diode burnt causing the problem. Ill get more info for you asap

horspla2000

Established Member
so the cams ran good for the dyno pulls and then went to shit??? trying to wrap my head around that

Slow Poke

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
This may sound wierd, but I'm sure you're open to anything at this point. I know you said the engine is out, but GOD FORBID if you put it back together and still have an issue....... Check the B+ voltage at the coils. Load test it somehow of put a voltmeter on the + side of a coil while driving and see if you have good strong voltage. If for some reason you had a voltage drop in that circuit, the coils may have enough to work somewhat at idle etc, but under a load and then under boost, there is inadequate spark, hence the backfires and no power. Unlikely yes, but easy enough to check. Def post back your progress. Very curious! Best of luck to you also!

modular89

Established Member
I have checked the coil circuits and they were good. I did a leak down test again with the cams out and it was good. I got the stock cams back in and the motor back in the car. I gotta work this weekend so I will have everything finished up on Monday. I will post how it does when I finish. I also took the comp cams back and the are checking them for me. Hopefully I will hear back from them on Monday.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
I have checked the coil circuits and they were good. I did a leak down test again with the cams out and it was good. I got the stock cams back in and the motor back in the car. I gotta work this weekend so I will have everything finished up on Monday. I will post how it does when I finish. I also took the comp cams back and the are checking them for me. Hopefully I will hear back from them on Monday.

call me??

modular89

Established Member
THE CAR IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge shout out to Dynospeed Racing here in Memphis and to 04cobra85 for all his help. I put the factory cams back in it and it runs its A$$ off now. So I guess the cam lobes were off. I am still waiting to hear back from comp cams about that. I am taking it back to Dynospeed this thursday for a retune.

Zacharyx

Established Member
THE CAR IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge shout out to Dynospeed Racing here in Memphis and to 04cobra85 for all his help. I put the factory cams back in it and it runs its A$$ off now. So I guess the cam lobes were off. I am still waiting to hear back from comp cams about that. I am taking it back to Dynospeed this thursday for a retune.

This great news, still can't figure how they ran well on Kurgan's Dyno and then went to shit.

04Cobra85

Established Member
I'm glad to hear you got it running but like ^^^^^ said it still bugs the piss out of me that the car ran good on the dyno then went to shit. keeps us posted on the retune number if you would.

Zacharyx

Established Member

did the keyways get ground when they installed the cams??

modular89

Established Member
No grinding on the keyways. I don't know how it was good at first and then started acting up. I'm just glad someone figured it out.

modular89

Established Member
Well Comp Cams said the cams were within their tolerance allowance. They said I can't return them because they were installed and I bought them over a year ago, even though I explained the entire situation to them and that I have spent over $5k between paying shops to help diagnose the problem and travel expenses between 2 trips to Atlanta, 1 to Savannah, and Mississippi. Plus I have had the engine out 3 times. I am not very happy with them and I WILL NEVER BUY A CAM FROM THEM AGAIN.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I can see where they are coming from..... the cams ran on the dyno, you bought them a year ago , so unless the lobes got wiped during the runs.... How where the degreed?? simply aligning the marks??

It really sucks that it cost you so much to get it running but I don't see it being comps issue, do you know of another car that may be willing to install the cams??

Last edited:

modular89

Established Member
They are gonna be paper weights. I'm not gonna sell them and then someone else and then they have the same problem. I can't do that to anyone. I know they said they were ok, but the were installed by one of the best modular engine builders and now the problem is gone with the stock cams. They are just garbage to me now.

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
They are gonna be paper weights. I'm not gonna sell them and then someone else have the same problem. They are just garbage to me
I was meaning more to ensure they have the same issue, not sure if it would hold weight with COMP.

Users who are viewing this thread