04 cobra/tune

rexisme

Established Member
04 cobra/tune *a/f pic now*

Alright, i just bought an 04 cobra. It doesnt have a tune on it. Current mods are bassani x, bassani catback, mac straight shot, and apparently its "pullied". I have no idea what size pulley it is, one of the pullies says motoblue under it (if you are looking at the engine its on the right of the s/c). The car has boost, trans temp, and a/f gauge. Currently, the car is running in stoich(uhhh) most of the time, which i believe is good...when i really hammer it , it goes rich, boost hits and holds at roughly 14-15psi. Right now, i am in a rock and a hard place, i dont know what to do with the car as far as tuning goes. I only have about 1k to spend immediately, i could spend about 4k in a couple weeks but, i find that maybe pointless since the car will be parked till april or may. I was thinking about taking it in and getting it tuned though for ease of mind. What would all of you recommend?

Last edited:

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
Get a tune asap, and stay out of the boost. These cars stock only saw 10psi so you are probably running lean. I somehow doubt that it doesnt have a tune, but post in the at home section and find a good tuner in your area, or get a mail order tune from amazon. A good tune should be around 500 dollars with the tuner so you will be well under the 1k limit. The other pulleys you see are idler pulleys to keep the belt from slipping. My guess would be you have a 2.76 pulley or a 2.80. Welcome aboard to the SVT club. Just remember its all in the TUNE.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
rexisme said:
Alright, i just bought an 04 cobra. It doesnt have a tune on it. Current mods are bassani x, bassani catback, mac straight shot, and apparently its "pullied". I have no idea what size pulley it is, one of the pullies says motoblue under it (if you are looking at the engine its on the right of the s/c). The car has boost, trans temp, and a/f gauge. Currently, the car is running in stoich(uhhh) most of the time, which i believe is good...when i really hammer it , it goes rich, boost hits and holds at roughly 14-15psi. Right now, i am in a rock and a hard place, i dont know what to do with the car as far as tuning goes. I only have about 1k to spend immediately, i could spend about 4k in a couple weeks but, i find that maybe pointless since the car will be parked till april or may. I was thinking about taking it in and getting it tuned though for ease of mind. What would all of you recommend?

I recommend getting your tune double checked for the safety of your motor, and for your piece of mind.

Check the regional forums to find a reputable tuner in your area. Once on the dyno, he'll be able to tell you if your tune is good or not, and will advise you from there. Good luck.

liedenfrost

Established Member
What part of Indiana? I'm in Greenwood. Get the A/F checked on a dyno. The car's tune might be just fine since you said it goes rich at WOT. If you actually need a tune, I can help point you in the right direction. Get a good dyno tune rather than a mail order tune if possible. PM me if you have questions about a dyno or tuners in the area.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
It more than likely has been flashed a tune if you know for a fact you're rich @14 lbs, but I would still get the tune verified and or improved on a dyno. and congrats on the new pimp ride :rockon:

rexisme

Established Member
SNIPERDOG said:
It more than likely has been flashed a tune if you know for a fact you're rich @14 lbs, but I would still get the tune verified and or improved on a dyno. and congrats on the new pimp ride :rockon:

Alright, so this is all normal? the car performs amazing. It has a a/f gauge, its a autometer, it doesnt have the digital read out on it. However, when the car is running normal it is like a tach, it stops off in "stoich" and when its floored it goes to "rich". I wouldnt imagine that a guy would go through the hassle and keep this car immaculate w/ 9k miles on it, dvd player, all these other expensive parts on it, and not get the car tuned. I've contacted pauls hp and they want 385 for the custom tune, 150 per hour for tuning @ 2 hours, and then the price of the sct.

liedenfrost

Established Member
Chances are you are tuned properly by the sound of things, but get it checked on the dyno, usually about $100 or so to be sure. What did the seller tell you about the car? Are you anywhere near Indy? There are a few shops around here that check your air/fuel ratio.

convert03cobra

Established Member
Like everyone else is saying, get on the dyno ASAP and get the A/F checked. I would call the tuning shop, work out a deal for just a dyno read at first. If the car's tune is fine, your done and it only cost you $100. If you need it tuned, you are already on the dyno and will cut down on the time and will save you money. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes!

rexisme

Established Member
liedenfrost said:
Chances are you are tuned properly by the sound of things, but get it checked on the dyno, usually about $100 or so to be sure. What did the seller tell you about the car? Are you anywhere near Indy? There are a few shops around here that check your air/fuel ratio.

I am about 3 hours away from indy. I live in NW Indiana..... as to the other question about what the seller told me about the car, he said its got a bassani x, bassani catback, mac straight shot cai, and its "pullied"(i forgot to add it has autometer boost, trans temp, and a/f ratio gauges). He did not know what size pully, i asked him if it had been tuned he said he didnt' know that he would contact the guy that owned it before and find that out and also get me a exact list of the mods. The car had 9k miles on it when i bought it and judging by the condition and it being a one owner, i would think whoever owned the car obviously "loved" it and took great care of it so i dont see why it wouldnt be tuned.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
you can tell if is has a chip by looking at the PCM of the vehicle..it will be sticking out of the portal...if it has been reflashed then there should be a hand held flasher unit with the vehicle...if you can find none of that I would get it checked out asap by someone who knows these vehicles..I would also get SCT versus Preditor if you do decide to get a used flasher because if it has been reflashed the Preditor needs to have a stock program which you will not have..and make sure it is unmarried from the previous owners vehicle or it will be useless to you..

rexisme

Established Member
Linn@Amazon said:
you can tell if is has a chip by looking at the PCM of the vehicle..it will be sticking out of the portal...if it has been reflashed then there should be a hand held flasher unit with the vehicle...if you can find none of that I would get it checked out asap by someone who knows these vehicles..I would also get SCT versus Preditor if you do decide to get a used flasher because if it has been reflashed the Preditor needs to have a stock program which you will not have..and make sure it is unmarried from the previous owners vehicle or it will be useless to you..

i am going to buy whichever handheld device new. I was leaning towards the SCT. Now, where is this portal located at? If there is something in there and i do not have the handheld that the previous owner had, and have no way of getting the handheld am i pretty much up shit creek?

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
If there is a tune in there you can still retune the unit. Also the chip would be located in the kick panel by the passenger side door. If you removed the door trim by the passenger and the remove the cover below the dash/glove you will see the pcm. The chip would be sticking out of there.

rexisme

Established Member
Alright, awesome, thanks for the helpful info guys. Here is a pic of the gauge from when i am driving. Sorry about the quality, it is from a camera phone, it dawned on me to try to take a pic while i was driving to show you guys.
airfuel.jpg

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
rexisme said:
i am going to buy whichever handheld device new. I was leaning towards the SCT. Now, where is this portal located at? If there is something in there and i do not have the handheld that the previous owner had, and have no way of getting the handheld am i pretty much up shit creek?

no you are not up the creek.. you just need to get it datalogged and checked out since you dont know if it has been reprogrammed before you staring beating on it..just to get a clean bill of health for your own peice of mind

you can datalog with the SCT XCAL3 but unless you have a portable wide band you will have to go to a dyno that has one to get your AF.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
rexisme said:
Alright, awesome, thanks for the helpful info guys. Here is a pic of the gauge from when i am driving. Sorry about the quality, it is from a camera phone, it dawned on me to try to take a pic while i was driving to show you guys.
airfuel.jpg

That looks like a air fuel gauge. Not a Wideband gauge.

-Jeff

rexisme

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
That looks like a air fuel gauge. Not a Wideband gauge.

-Jeff

Ya, thats what i was sayin earlier. But does it look to be reading right, or what is going on with that thing(lol)? When i floor it, it goes to the rich side. .. but idling and driving normal it sits like that.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is no way to tell really what a A/F gauge is saying other than richer than Stoich, or leaner than. It is showing that you on the rich side. But IMO that just means that you are richer than 14.64:1. By how much is anyone's guess.

-Jeff

rexisme

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
There is no way to tell really what a A/F gauge is saying other than richer than Stoich, or leaner than. It is showing that you on the rich side. But IMO that just means that you are richer than 14.64:1. By how much is anyone's guess.

-Jeff

being rich is better than being lean though right?

Users who are viewing this thread