04 gt mod ideas?!

williamshelby

Established Member
hey whats goin on i just bought my first and probably last mustang. its an 04 gt mustang i bought it bone stock with 70k miles. ive done a lot of looking and cant decide what performance mods to go with first. it seems like everything doesnt give enough bang for my buck as to increasing performance. im interested in find out what mods give the most performance increases. ive already put on borla mufflers and removed two cats. ive smoked the headlights and the car has cobra rims on it. i want this car to look and sound good with no intentions of dumping a shit ton of money into it.
i would appreciate any information on mods that you all have done to your new edge:burnout:ill try to post some pictures up as well, Thanks!

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Here's Shelby's car. He's a good friend of mine and I figured I'd do all the image hosting for him lol.
552103EB-3408-4D71-81E1-72B5F9533FB7-8186-0000048EA15840AD.jpg

B50D49A6-A961-4A9C-BF96-57CB0A23C36D-8186-0000048E974CEA29.jpg

froush

Established Member
Well if a blower is out of your budget, get gears. But a blower can be pretty reasonable. You can find a kit for $1500-2000 and then get it tuned ~$500. That is if you install it. Bolt ons are useless on these cars. Suspension would be the best bang for your buck after gears. So flsfcs and new lcas would be another recomendation. Appearance wise, chin spoiler, mach 1 grill delete, new wheels will change the look of your car tenfold. You can cut down your antenna for free. If cheap is what you want you can lower it by cutting a coil or two off each spring. Theres a lot you can do to these things if youre handy.

Last edited:

froush

Established Member
And sorry slow2v. When he said not dumping a shitload of money in it i dont think a blower is a lot. These cars have been around for a while and there are lots of deals floating around. Hell, he could even do cams on the cheap if he knows how.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
That's also another thing he was wondering about is the TrickFlow top end kit. What do you guys think about that?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
IMO the jury is still out on the Trick flow 2v heads. Here's some fast and dirty stuff that works, when I had to run the "stock" class at the autocross.
1. Air intake
2.75 mm throttle body and elbow
3. "X" pipe
4. Gears
5. alumimun flywheel
6. shifter
7. lowering springs, don't forget the lower ball joints so you don't screw up the car's roll center
8. reprogram the ECM
9. Cobras brakes
10. bump steer kit IMO stay away from offset rack bushings if you can

not necessarily in that order, but that makes for a good, relatively inexpensive package

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
Why is it your last mustang? X2 on bolt on's, not really going to give you much. Do an S trim gears and offroad X or H. Make 400 to the tire and with a good tune it should last.

Stanger00

Established Member
Trickflow top end kit costs more than a good used Vortech S trim setup.

Gears, off road mid pipe, short throw, lowering springs, lower control arms and full length sub frame connectors.

I bought trick flow heads and I bought them when they still were 2300 for the pair and the cams were another 550!

wildride02gt

Established Member
full bolt on can be done cheap via browsing ebay, craigslist, and mustang forums.
gears, shifter, CAI, 90mm MAF, 75mm TB and upper plenum, off-road mid pipes w/stock manifolds or long-tubes preferably, exhaust, sub-frame connectors, springs and shocks, rear upper and lower control arms, ball joints, and tie rod ends, 13" front brakes, a lighter flywheel and a decent clutch will be nice too. oh yeah, and a custom tune.
take the time to dig out the deals, and a New Edge GT can look and run pretty good for little money. Almost everything I've got on my car is stuff I grabbed from the classifieds. I looked for deals every time, haggled over prices, and if buying new, worked out the best deal possible at the time.
Most of the above parts can be purchased for less than 2K total if you do the shopping right. coil overs are sweet, but a set of used H&R's will provide the drop and ride quality if matched with a decent set of shocks, for a lot less.
None of this will make it a beast, but it will be fun to drive. later on good power can be had from the TFS heads and intake with a cam, or there are the various boosted routes.

williamshelby

Established Member
yeah im deffinatly going to be looking into some used parts, its going to be my last mustang because it seems like its too much money to get power out of it. i dont see forced induction as a reliable power adder. this car is going to driven mostly on the street.

ive heard a lot about the gears being the best performance increase over stock. im really looking forward to getting long tubes and a off road x pipe that way my exhaust will be done. then ill probably go with getting the suspension low(slammed) and stiff and maybe one day the trick flow top end

what is "lsfcs and new lcas"? im going to get away from the cobra rims asap simply because its not a cobra.

I really appreciate all the advice guys!

Last edited:

laserred2v

Established Member
What do you actually want out of the car? I think you should ask that before you go buying parts. Are you occasionally hitting the track, is it track only, are you just trying to get a fun comfortable car? Or are you trying to build up a beast? Do you have a certain rwp number trying to hit?

williamshelby

Established Member
honestly i dont want to build this car up due to the amount of money it takes to get over 400 whp. i would probably be satisfied with the trickflow top end due to the set up i had on my 99 trans am. i bought the car to be a 5 speed daily that looks and sounds great.

it seems to me parts for this mustang are a lot more expensive than my bird i spent about 5k on it and i dont want to do that to any daily driver ever again thats why i bought this car

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
honestly i dont want to build this car up due to the amount of money it takes to get over 400 whp. i would probably be satisfied with the trickflow top end due to the set up i had on my 99 trans am. i bought the car to be a 5 speed daily that looks and sounds great.

it seems to me parts for this mustang are a lot more expensive than my bird i spent about 5k on it and i dont want to do that to any daily driver ever again thats why i bought this car

trick flow top end without cams is pointless

that + tune = more then a blower with less power

Users who are viewing this thread