04 gt mod ideas?!

wildride02gt

Established Member
yeah im deffinatly going to be looking into some used parts, its going to be my last mustang because it seems like its too much money to get power out of it. i dont see forced induction as a reliable power adder. this car is going to driven mostly on the street.

ive heard a lot about the gears being the best performance increase over stock. im really looking forward to getting long tubes and a off road x pipe that way my exhaust will be done. then ill probably go with getting the suspension low(slammed) and stiff and maybe one day the trick flow top end

what is "lsfcs and new lcas"? im going to get away from the cobra rims asap simply because its not a cobra.

I really appreciate all the advice guys!

man, I've had my 2v for almost 6 yrs. Since day one, everyone has hassled me about just boosting it. Yet, everyone I know who has run a boosted 2v is not entirely satisfied, mainly they are really unhappy. I'm also in the camp of not trusting boost for a DD style car. I could only trust boost if I had built the motor under the blower to be un-killable. For me, its NA power all the way, especially if budget is limited.
Bolt-on NA cars with good suspension can be great DD cars, and still capable enough to play on the track.

williamshelby

Established Member
yeah i planned on getting cams a long with the heads. that type of motor work is more a long my skill level ive never messed with forced inductiona and unfortunatly NOBODY tunes fords where im from so i would have to do some research on where to take it to.

the 330 whp from the 38 cc heads full exhuast would probably satisfy. looking nice and low is the main thing

Stanger00

Established Member
I ran my Vortech for over 30k miles with 11psi 3 different dyno tunes over 5 years before I removed my running long block for a aluminator with trickflow head long block install.

Vortech route is cheaper than a trickflow top end kit, IMO.

williamshelby

Established Member
yeah leaving it stock would be pretty smart its an awful nice daily compared to what my buddies with modded goats and hondas daily drive

do any of you guys tune your mustangs yourself? if so tell me about it
i got to see a little hp tunners goin on on my firebird

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
yeah leaving it stock would be pretty smart its an awful nice daily compared to what my buddies with modded goats and hondas daily drive

do any of you guys tune your mustangs yourself? if so tell me about it
i got to see a little hp tunners goin on on my firebird

I'd rather just pay a tuner to tune the car, than mess with it myself. More things/headaches could happen if I tuned my cars myself.

But seriously though. Subframe connectors, gears, longtubes/offload x, cat back, shifter, upper/lower control arms, lowering springs and a nice set of shocks/struts would be a good start. Also a 13" front brake upgrade would be a good idea and some better brake pads out back. And some nice wheels/tires.

I wish I did that to my 04' and just had fun on a road course. Not the fastest car out there but would still be fun as hell.

froush

Established Member
I could show you multiple people with boosted cars that have over 100k with the setup. Its all about the tune. If you wanna go the n/a route be my guest. A month or so ago before i started ripping my car apart i was n/a with 312/342 to the wheels. Best et to date was 12.10@115. Im sure i couldve hit 11s if i went when it was cooler outside and not 100+. That by no means is fast but its definitely quicker than most cars on the road and i use to eat up stock termis all day long

froush

Established Member
Also, the tfs top end kit will only benefit you if you decide to build the engine up a little. They really dont shine until higher in the rpm range and in stock form our cars cant handle that. I would just get a nice set of ported heads and some stage 2 cms n/a cams. Just my $0.02 though

coposrv

Established Member
I don't really understand. You want a more power. trick flow top end= more money than a blower. But you don't want a blower because it not reliable? I think you should sell the car. It seems like you're not sure what you want.

Kcobra99

Established Member
Just do gears and a tuner with some lca's to help it accelerate from lights and get rid of that snap oversteer if you decide to peel out in a cloud of tire smoke on occasion.

Suspension wise I wouldn't drop a dd much, if at all. Look for a mach 1 handling kit, they used to be in the ford racing catalog and came with springs, shocks, struts and sway bars for very little. Sometimes you can find a kit left in stock.

For hp bolt ons, just stick with cai, tb, plenum and midpipe. Solid gains for every piece, but won't kill mileage or reliability.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

williamshelby

Established Member
im just not interested in a blower when the car is my daily driver, i have a hard enough time staying out of it getting 16 mpg on a good week. im just simply looking for the best bang for buck because im not going to dump a ton of money into a car that will never be faster than a v6 firebird without forced induction.

i havent even looked at the compression ratio's of these motors. im still learning about the 2v's and how they react to mods. the trick flow is the only thing ive seen other than a blower/nitrous that has made a big difference with these motors

i like the idea of a road course car. im really interested in the slammed and good wheel fitment. gettin the car to look and sound good is top priority the trick flow top end was about the only that sparked my interest other than long tubes and x pipe

188slo50

Mustang GOD wana b
Established Member
If boost wasnt reliable than all major car manufacturers would sell them on there cars. The boost isnt your problem its tuning it for your aplication and not thinking just cause its got a blower on it its the fastest car around and everyone needs to see what it will do. Sounds like to me you should do some gears, a plenum with a tb, cold air intake and a shifter and leave it alone after that performance wise.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
If you've already decided that you want a trick flow top end kit, why ask such a stupid question? For one, putting boost to a 2v is the ONLY good bang for the buck when it comes to adding power. Don't believe me, read the thousands of threads where people talk about it. Worried about blowing it up? Well don't drive it like a jack ass. There is more chances of something going wrong on an aftermarket heads/cam setup than strapping a blower on.

I truly don't understand why this is still a debate, you're goin to waste money on long tube headers? But don't want something that actually adds horsepower in forced induction. The factory exhaust manifolds do not become restrictive until upwards of 500+ horsepower. My car drives like stock, idles like stock and is a blast to drive when you mash the pedal. All done realiably through an eaton. I'm not sure if you've ever driven a h/c/i car but I can assure you that one will probably not ever have stock drivability. These are facts, not opinions.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
A stage 2/3 cam car is a pain to drive daily. Too damn choppy but the cool factor outweighs the negatives.

TFS heads and cam ~340hp at the wheel

Vortech 8-10psi intercooled 390-410hp at the wheel

They cost about the same too. Vortech might even be cheaper.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
His car he owned (and still does) before the mustang is a 1999 v6 firebird that he built with a h/c/i set up himself. And it's pretty impressive for a 3.8. Come on guys you gotta remember that most of the GM guys out there are use to h/c/I setups with their larger cubic inch motors over forced induction applications

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
IMO a heads and cam 4.6 will be a pain to daily and will be about the same money as a blower that will practically drive stock until 3500 rpm.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
His car he owned (and still does) before the mustang is a 1999 v6 firebird that he built with a h/c/i set up himself. And it's pretty impressive for a 3.8. Come on guys you gotta remember that most of the GM guys out there are use to h/c/I setups with their larger cubic inch motors over forced induction applications

When you invest thousands into a v6 and have a 14 second car it isn't impressive, just foolish. Had a pristine 99 red v6 I daily drove for about a year, it was easy on the eyes but never would I have thought it a good idea to do that to one.

It doesn't matter if GM guys are used to h/c/i setups, we're not talking about GM products here. We're talking about a mustang and a blower is the better way to go, roots of course, screw that centri crap of its daily driven.

Users who are viewing this thread