04 GT starts pullin really slow in 4th (WOT) after about 115 or so..

EJ23

Established Member
Mods are: K&N in stock air box w/Ram air kit, and Borla Stinger Cat-Back. Is the stock 4 cat H pipe the cause? The ram air kit has a BIG scoop that fits under the RF bumper and I would think the car would get a big kick at high speeds!? could it be throwing off the MAM?? Cuz I mean at 115MPH it has to be ramming A LOT of air in the air box! I bet it's the cats. Bastards! :bash:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Take that ram-air system off before you hit a puddle. They're a waste of money and have left many motors hydrolocked.

You're going 115 in a practically stock 04' GT, you're not gonna pull very fast, sorry.

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
To be honest, you shouldn't even be in 4th at 115 in a STOCK GT. with 3.27's you should be able to go on over to like 130 :)

That is probably your problem ;-)

-Will

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
if the tune is stock then it is your air/fuel. ford has them pig rich in the higher rpm range. get a gear and a custom dyno tuned chip

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
NO he doesn't. A higher gear ratio would take away from his top speed. Gears are good for getting you off the line and that's it.

A LOWER gear ratio would take away from his theoretical topend.....

BUT

A lower gear also alows him to USE more of the gear, because there is more pull there. Quite often, people are able to go higher top speeds after a mild gear swap JUSt because there is more power to be found in the added RPM's, after the swap.

Personally, I'd suggest 4.10's or 4.30's in a N/A car. I had both, and loved them both!!! And the car won't "top out" at 120 ;)

-Will

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Where do you come up with that? You add the gear and you're gonna hit your rev limiter a LOT quicker than you would with stock gears. Plus the stock GT's still aren't going to pull very hard at high speeds. It's not like they put out a lot of power and they're not exactly aerodynamic and a stock suspension set-up isn't made for high speeds.

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
Where do you come up with that? You add the gear and you're gonna hit your rev limiter a LOT quicker than you would with stock gears. Plus the stock GT's still aren't going to pull very hard at high speeds. It's not like they put out a lot of power and they're not exactly aerodynamic and a stock suspension set-up isn't made for high speeds.

I got that from experience ;). Alot of stock GT's can run out of pull topend to use all their gear, thats all I was saying.

Personally, I'm against top end street racing, but to each his own. I say if you can't do it in a 1/4, or on a straightaway at a road course, you've got no business doing it on a public road.

-Will

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I agree with you on the top end racing. I guess some people think this is nascar or rocket car races or something. Plus, you can pretty much tell which car is faster/quicker within the first 5 seconds of a street race.

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
I agree with you on the top end racing. I guess some people think this is nascar or rocket car races or something. Plus, you can pretty much tell which car is faster/quicker within the first 5 seconds of a street race.

:rockon:

-Will

Ponygirlracing

*Liz*
Established Member
Get rid of the stock H get on x-pipe. i would recommend bassani with hi flow cats. i have an offroad bbk. it gave me a big boost but it a pipe with no cats sounds like ass to some people. even though i kindof like it. I would go with 3:73 its a good middle ratio. not too much but enough.

2000blackone

Established Member
How many miles are on the car? If you didn't have such a new car, I'd assume your clutch is slippin. Are you hard on the clutch (assuming you have a 5spd)? Lately, I've been hearing about lots of Mustang clutches going around the 35-40k mark.

Ponygirlracing

*Liz*
Established Member
Originally posted by 2000blackone
How many miles are on the car? If you didn't have such a new car, I'd assume your clutch is slippin. Are you hard on the clutch (assuming you have a 5spd)? Lately, I've been hearing about lots of Mustang clutches going around the 35-40k mark.

Yeah most all the people i have talked to with a new mustang are having clutch problems. My prob is the Throw out bearings.

EJ23

Established Member
I got a MRT Catted H and tested it, pulled hard to 130 and red-lined 4th.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread