04 Mach 1 Mods

Takis31gk

Established Member
So my dad & I bought a wrecked Mach 1 that we are going to put in a Factory Five car. The drivetrain is in good condition, and has about 70k miles. What mods have you guys & gals used on your cars. I'm not a supercharger/turbocharger fan, want to keep it naturally aspirated. I'm thinking of bigger throttle body, comp cams, and headers. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Intake, headers, x-pipe, cat-back, tune, 4.10 gears, Underdrive pullies, stage 2 clutch. Just a few things I have, also running N/A for now :p

Takis31gk

Established Member
My budget would be a few thousand, let's say >$5k. I don't want to do anything crazy, just get some more horses and torque out of it. It's going to be put into a 2200 lb car so it's gonna be quick anyway. It's a manual so I also want to put in a new clutch & hurst shifter. Why 4.10 gears, wouldn't it lose speed in the top end? It comes with 3.55's, you don't think that's enough? Plus I have to pass Massachusetts emissions.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dont waste your money on a throttle body, they gain next to nothing and tend to cause all kinds of driveability issues on these cars

BLKFOX

Established Member
Why 4.10 gears, wouldn't it lose speed in the top end? It comes with 3.55's, you don't think that's enough?

It'll pull alot harder with 4.10's. How fast are you wanting to go? I mean...the speed limit's 55, just get there really fast!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
K&N filter, 1/2" spacer, ported lower intake, longtubes, x pipe, catback, aluminum driveshaft, tr-6 plugs, sct flasher and dyno tune will put it on another level and not go over your budget.

If you're dead set on cams, comp 106100 are nice pieces and don't require changing the springs.

Keep the 3.55s. These engines make great mid range power and the stock gears compliment it nicely. People seem to get the c heads we have confused with the earlier B heads of the sn95 cobras. Those heads have too large of ports that kill velocity and in return need short gearing to keep the rpm's up because of a lack of low end and midrange power.

watman02

Established Member
guys its going in a factory 5 car if its a cobra kit car then it will weigh like 2800#.
he dosnt need 4.10's. I would look into some cams and a ported intake, LT's and a tune.

Takis31gk

Established Member
If I decide to send the motor out to a speed shop to have it tuned, should I do the same with the transmission or should a TR3650 be strong enough?

Kcobra99

Established Member
3650 should be fine in that light of a car. Change the clutch and fluid and call it a day.

You'll get the most bang for the buck with headers and cams.

4.10 gears won't kill too much top end, you'll still be able to run past 120mph at the top of 4th.

Last edited:

Maustang

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last cobra kit car I seen had to use shorty headers.
There was no way long tubes would fit.
But I don't know what brand of kit car it was.

Oh and for 5k you could do an eaton swap. Make over 400hp and still have money in the bank.

Takis31gk

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last cobra kit car I seen had to use shorty headers.
There was no way long tubes would fit.
But I don't know what brand of kit car it was.

Oh and for 5k you could do an eaton swap. Make over 400hp and still have money in the bank.

You're correct, shorty headers will be needed.

As for the Eaton S/C, I'm not a huge fan of "power adders" (i.e. Superchargers, Turbo's, & nitrous oxide). Call me old school, but Natural Aspiration is the way to go IMO.

O3dsg

Established Member
I would drive it awhile before you swap gears as traction might be a problem with steep gears on such a light car. Also a nice ported short runner manifold can do wonders as well. The manifold on my car makes for a lot more useful power band over the ported stocker I had before. Any way good luck and keep us posted on the build.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread