04 swap problem... need advise

fstcobra2

Established Member
Ok Ive done a 04 swap on my 97 Cobra car is running and driving just trying to get small things fixed. I have All 03-04 wiring from front to back, I pulled all my interior and rewired dash, body harness ect. Now the problem, some of my gauges airn't working on 04 cluster, fuel level, oil pressure, volts and boost are not working the temp, rpm, mph are working fine is there seperate grounds for these that i could have missed while wiring in harness to dash I have looked and looked without going to extent of pulling dash. All of the gauges cycle when key on and boost needle acts like it wants to but doesnt. :shrug: so any help would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Ok Ive done a 04 swap on my 97 Cobra car is running and driving just trying to get small things fixed. I have All 03-04 wiring from front to back, I pulled all my interior and rewired dash, body harness ect. Now the problem, some of my gauges airn't working on 04 cluster, fuel level, oil pressure, volts and boost are not working the temp, rpm, mph are working fine is there seperate grounds for these that i could have missed while wiring in harness to dash I have looked and looked without going to extent of pulling dash. All of the gauges cycle when key on and boost needle acts like it wants to but doesnt. :shrug: so any help would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice

You may want to try posting on Modularfords in the mod swap section. A lot of information there.

fstcobra2

Established Member
You may want to try posting on Modularfords in the mod swap section. A lot of information there.

:beer: thanks I do have a post there as well figured someone would have had this problem at some point with all the termi swaps that have been done

itSSlow98

Established Member
I really dont know but im throwing this out there, are the sensors that arent working the same part number(compatible) with the 03-04 stuff?

fstcobra2

Established Member
I really dont know but im throwing this out there, are the sensors that arent working the same part number(compatible) with the 03-04 stuff?

hmmmmm thats a very good question never thought about that, its all 03-04 cobra I know ther was few changes in from 03 to 04 like heads but figured sensors would be the same. And gas guage works off the float doesn't it? I didnt have a donar car I ordered parts from everywhere,you maybe on to something. Guess i could cross reference the part numbers with ford see if numbers work for both years ... thanks makes since :beer:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Yea I know some gas sensors output different signals to the cluster. Might be worth looking at. I'll poke back in to see.

fstcobra2

Established Member
Yea I know some gas sensors output different signals to the cluster. Might be worth looking at. I'll poke back in to see.

well got oart numbers off today gonna call some friends at ford tomarrow and cross reference the part numbers between the 03-04s thanks for the advice, hoping its this easy dont wanna pull the dash again lol

Jiffy

Established Member
Boost gauge runs from a rubber tube from the back of the blower to the gauge - it's not electric until it gets into the cluster...

If you dismantle the cluster, there is a voltage regulator on the inside of the main motherboard that has a two wire connection, you need to ensure that it's still plugged in securely...

Last edited:

fstcobra2

Established Member
Boost gauge runs from a rubber tube from the back of the blower to the gauge - it's not electric until it gets into the cluster...

If you dismantle the cluster, there is a voltage regulator on the inside of the main motherboard that has a two wire connection, you need to ensure that it's still plugged in securely...

Yes sir you are correct about boost gage shoulda realized that and either way parts on car are the right ones, Is it common for those plugs to come out ? Im gonna pull them tomarrow and check that thanks for the advice didnt think about checking inside the cluster thanks for the info hopefully thats the problem, hate problems that drag on and on without making progress. :beer:

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member

If the dash cluster gauges swipes to right, Every time you turn the ignition key to on position. These are symptom's of a faulty ground no ground wire not connected. BTW did you change the dash harness also?

fstcobra2

Established Member
If the dash cluster gauges swipes to right, Every time you turn the ignition key to on position. These are symptom's of a faulty ground no ground wire not connected. BTW did you change the dash harness also?

Yes I pulled every harness from car and rewired it including the dash harness, and when i turn key to on position all the needles cycle all way up and back down, my theft light is flashing like a strob light upon start up and continues while in idle for few mins then slows to like once per second then after few mins goes off completely... My pats is by passed in the tune

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
How old is your Battery? I heard that sometimes when the car battery is about to go out. The gauge cluster will start doing that, might want to check the battery and the connections. Yes that's is normal for the theft light to flash like that on startup, because you by passed the PATS system. Good luck.:beer:

Last edited:

fstcobra2

Established Member
How old is your Battery? I heard that sometimes when the car battery is about to go out. The gauge cluster will start doing that, might want to check the battery and the connections. Yes that's is normal for the theft light to flash like that on startup, because you by passed the PATS system. Good luck.:beer:

Battery is a brand new one, wish I had a diagram that showed all the grounds and locations but cant find one anywhere on computer. Thanks for info about the pats system glad thats not a problem too lol guess im gonna continue to ground hunt :read:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Battery is a brand new one, wish I had a diagram that showed all the grounds and locations but cant find one anywhere on computer. Thanks for info about the pats system glad thats not a problem too lol guess im gonna continue to ground hunt :read:

i can post up acouple sections of manual...

insrument cluster testing
https://acrobat.com/#d=55gJG8oS8SZS3bQqY411pA

plugs behind dash/rightside
https://acrobat.com/#d=9jp2bgVfeNSehHsRSAjcDQ

theft light
https://acrobat.com/#d=Tbq8Bh4aO-r9eb0Fth3arg
plugs behind dash leftside
https://acrobat.com/#d=e*QwGxOi36pW9aMHa1LwGg

behind dash center
https://acrobat.com/#d=H*9ghyYmVafrEFG1qPqUtw

cell 60-1
https://acrobat.com/#d=YKEUcZIOyef3H9gV*FcXpA
60-2
https://acrobat.com/#d=f5eupujk*S*bOF9Ngx9uNg
60-3
https://acrobat.com/#d=dyAJ6uozNyLlBOgar6XcKg

ground g204
https://acrobat.com/#d=9nJ-acSYLtG1pP18lw8c*w

Last edited:

fstcobra2

Established Member

fstcobra2

Established Member
Ok here is a update for future reference and may save someone alot of time if they ever do this swap all my grounds where in place all my fuses ect where correct. Found the problem to be in the drivers fender at the plug that runs through firewall. It is the square plug that plugs in and has a bolt that you tighting down. I had it plugged in and tighted it till it stopped and wasnt moving... I wasnt even close Ford put a plastic cover over it with a hole over bolt to access the bolt, The plastic cover will not allow you to tighten all the up but will give the appearance that it is. Mine wouldnt turn and more and wasnt moving when I grabbed it, but when I took screw driver and popped the cover off I put a wrench on it and spun it clock wise from 12 to 12 about 20x the access whole allows you take it off but should be popped off when putting back on. Problem is fixed :) Thanks everyone hope this saves someone else down the road. Another member on here blwnsnk was having simular problems gauges sweeped and radio and dome lights wasnt working, he lives local I was helping him work on his, we removed plastic cover tightened his was as mine was and his, gauges stopped sweepng and everything works, same problem diffirent symptoms.... thanks everyone who was helping and thanks hotcobra03 for those diagrams

Users who are viewing this thread