04's w/the TIC TIC TIC

Do 04 Cobras built on or after 11/04 have the tic?

• Yes, my 04 has the Tic

Votes: 96 25.5%
  • No, my 04 doesn't have the tic

Votes: 280 74.5%

• Total voters

Ontariomystic

Established Member
My car build date is January 6/04, engine build date no idea. Can't see a date on the driver side cover. I used a fine wire and rubbed it on the plug threads and there were definately 9. Even if the cooling problem wasn't taken care of it's less chance of a plug blow out.

mtl-biker

Established Member
No i dont have the click but just a pifff noise coming when i start my a/c or the ventillation thats come about each 45 sec like a sound from a blow off valve.Its close from the a/c compressor

When i put the vent swith at off middle thats stop

Somebody can explaine me that
Thanks
Mario

Spanishfly

Established Member
mtl-biker said:
No i dont have the click but just a pifff noise coming when i start my a/c or the ventillation thats come about each 45 sec like a sound from a blow off valve.Its close from the a/c compressor

When i put the vent swith at off middle thats stop

Somebody can explaine me that
Thanks
Mario
I hear the same noise coming from under the hood. Like a pressure release of some kind, but very brief. Lasts only about a split second.

mtl-biker

Established Member
xchpstang said:
I hear that on mine. I think it's just AC related. Not any issue.

Yes its like a small blow off valve lollll more wnen i put the a/c dont found a disconnected hoses :rollseyes

Mario :coolman:

Sharkster

Established Member
12000 miles and no tick. I got my 04 a little over a month ago and I came out paying like $26300. after getting nailed with my trade-in 01 (i took a little loss on it) figured up to right at $28800
fuel injectors and MAF are loud but thank god so far.... no tick

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
boost happy said:
Do any of you guys w/04 Cobras built on or after 11/03 have the tic or any other issues/bugs? I have a Silver 03 w/the tic (10800miles) and was thinking about trading it in for a 04 Torch Red (btw this color looks kick @ss) rather than to have the dealer replace the heads......... Does $25500 for the trade and $33600 for the 04 sound good to you guys?........... Is $33600 too much for a 04 Cobra that will be replaced in later 2006 w/a 07 Cobra?

same here i was understanding that they fixed the problem on the 04's with ticking sound from the engine. Mine doesnt either and I have an 04 cobra vert.

WDW MKR

Established Member
snakebitten1975 said:
same here i was understanding that they fixed the problem on the 04's with ticking sound from the engine. Mine doesnt either and I have an 04 cobra vert.

No, they didn't fix it on the 04 production cars. They are hit'n'miss like the 03 models. Only the Jan05 head design seems to have truely fixed the problem. That certainly doesn't mean you will get the tick if you don't have these heads.

WarrenB

Established Member
I would not put up with worn valve guides " the tick" My buddy Mike Bell, Owner of Dayton 5.0 had the tick in his 03. How can Ford sell you a car, and expect you to deal with a problem like that. Its pure shit ,and they have to fix it. Mike sued Ford and won. Almost 40k on a mustang thats a ****ing lemon, while the whole time fords saying Ohhh its normal...I dont think so. He took the heads apart and visualy proved his case. So anyway yes.. he won back every penny he put into that car, and enough extra for a nice downpayment on a 03 f-150, If it ticks DONT STAND FOR THAT SHIT. They have to fix it. FRee o charge

MineralG03

Established Member
MineralG03 now SilverM04

I bought my Silver 04 last May (new) built 2/04, I now have 4900 miles on her, no tick, hiss, vibe or any other issue. Just love drivin it.

My 03 did have the tick!!

Rich

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
My 04 Cobra Was Built On 03/04 And It Started To Tick At 6k Miles, It Was A Come And Go Tick, But Its Here Now..anybody Knows If The Tick Gets Louder Cuz Right Now Its Not All That Bad Of A Tick, I Heard Worse!!!!!!!

V8Mustang

Established Member
WarrenB said:
I would not put up with worn valve guides " the tick" My buddy Mike Bell, Owner of Dayton 5.0 had the tick in his 03. How can Ford sell you a car, and expect you to deal with a problem like that. Its pure shit ,and they have to fix it. Mike sued Ford and won. Almost 40k on a mustang thats a ****ing lemon, while the whole time fords saying Ohhh its normal...I dont think so. He took the heads apart and visualy proved his case. So anyway yes.. he won back every penny he put into that car, and enough extra for a nice downpayment on a 03 f-150, If it ticks DONT STAND FOR THAT SHIT. They have to fix it. FRee o charge

Think we could get some details from your buddy? Any paper work from his case ? If he paved the way, many of us could follow. If you can get some documentation and someone could turn papers into PDF files, I can post them on my web site. Thanks!

04CobraOwner

Established Member
Can someone describe the "tic" to me?

I have a slight "tic tic tic" when under heavy load (driving uphill, or with lots of passengers in the car) and I am at low rpm's (1800-2100) and when I go wide open throttle (problem exists when I do all three together).

However, this only started after my pulley and tune. I went back and they changed my tune slighty and the problem went away except on very rare occasions (have only heard it once under the above conditions in the past three weeks).

Is this the same "tic" problem you guys are talking about?

WDW MKR

Established Member
04CobraOwner said:

I have a slight "tic tic tic" when under heavy load (driving uphill, or with lots of passengers in the car) and I am at low rpm's (1800-2100) and when I go wide open throttle (problem exists when I do all three together).

However, this only started after my pulley and tune. I went back and they changed my tune slighty and the problem went away except on very rare occasions (have only heard it once under the above conditions in the past three weeks).

That sounds more like detonation, which can be much worse for your engine. Do not beat on that car until you get it on a dyno to confirm the air/fuel ratio! You likely need to have your tune adjusted.

BurnTire

Established Member
04CobraOwner said:

Don't do that anymore. That is tip in detonation. You need to have some timing pulled in the low RPM range at various loads.

Users who are viewing this thread