04's w/the TIC TIC TIC

Do 04 Cobras built on or after 11/04 have the tic?

• Yes, my 04 has the Tic

Votes: 96 25.5%
  • No, my 04 doesn't have the tic

Votes: 280 74.5%

• Total voters

jiggy988

Established Member
I Have 2800 Miles On My 04' And I Have (had) The Tick. It Sounded Like It Was Comming From The Cats. Replaced With X-pipe W/out Cats And Havent Noticed The Tick Anymore. Btw, I Paid 28k For Mine Brand New!

csumt76

Established Member
Picked up my 04 for 29.9...... Just perks of working for the same company. I got screwed on the trade in for my 03 Gt though, especially since I traded it in 3 months after I got it(used).. Doohhhhh!!!

04SVTCobra

Established Member
8500 miles and I do have the tick. Started at around 700 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't make it go away.
I just learned to live with it. :shrug:

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
So, the tick is in the cylinder heads....What damage occurs if it's not "fixed"?

I'm looking at a potential swap and I'd hate to get this issue in a hot rod project.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i dont think the tick is as common as it looks on the forums. i have only heard one that had a distinct noise "tick" and this car had been pullied, chipped, ect. the heat buildup on the pistons with the resulting cylinder scuffing could be the problem in a lot of cases.

Skywarp

Established Member
swlacobra said:
i dont think the tick is as common as it looks on the forums. i have only heard one that had a distinct noise "tick" and this car had been pullied, chipped, ect. the heat buildup on the pistons with the resulting cylinder scuffing could be the problem in a lot of cases.

This would seem more likely why this problem occurs. Not all, but most. How many pullie, do the exhaust, install the cold air intake etc,etc and don't get it tuned? How many also create more heat by installing a pulley alone? Besides the Apten cooling mod, what other cooling mods can be done?

wpd736

Back to Blue
Established Member
2004 oxford white #3316 born on 03/16/2004
2000 miles no tick ..... paid 30,126

2.76 billetflow predator tuner mac mas motoblue cai

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
jiggy988 said:
I Have 2800 Miles On My 04' And I Have (had) The Tick. It Sounded Like It Was Comming From The Cats. Replaced With X-pipe W/out Cats And Havent Noticed The Tick Anymore. Btw, I Paid 28k For Mine Brand New!

:nono: :nono:

That's not the tick.

BTW, I now have 5400 miles on my 04 and I MAY have the tick developing. I can hear a slight ticking noise after it's been driven for a while and is good and warm. I haven't investigated it yet, but since it sounds like there is a new head out that will fix it, I will probably take it to the dealer and at least get it noted in the file until it fully develops. If the new heads have the revised spark plug threads, I'm definitely going to try and have the heads changed!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
BradN01 said:
I thought 04s already had the revised threads on their heads?

Nope. Don't I wish. I thought I did too...even checked them out with the thread counts. Still the same old 3 to 4 threads. Even the updated head they came out with only has limited threads. I'm hoping like crazy that this newest head has the full 9 threads. I will be amazed if it doesn't. I can't imagine Ford not fixing one of their known problems when they have the chance like this.

By the way, my car was built in January of 04.

Brannon

Established Member
The info below came from SCT.

http://www.sctflash.com/vehicle_show_profile.php?VID=1

"Installing an Upper Pulley will cause the engine to run much leaner because the factory tune was not setup to handle additional boost. This makes a Custom Tuned Chip necessary

Some 2003 Cobras have a problem known as the "Head Tick". If your cobra was built before December 2003, we suggest having this problem resolved before you heavily modify your cobra. You can check the build date by looking at the lower part of the drivers side valve cover. The tick is caused because of a problem with the cylinder head design on the drivers side. The faulty design caused the head to overheat and warp the valve seats. There is a new head that has the problem fixed, and as far as we are aware Ford will replace the head under warranty if your vehicle exhibits the problem."

jophis37

Established Member
boost happy said:
Do any of you guys w/04 Cobras built on or after 11/03 have the tic or any other issues/bugs? I have a Silver 03 w/the tic (10800miles) and was thinking about trading it in for a 04 Torch Red (btw this color looks kick @ss) rather than to have the dealer replace the heads......... Does $25500 for the trade and $33600 for the 04 sound good to you guys?........... Is $33600 too much for a 04 Cobra that will be replaced in later 2006 w/a 07 Cobra?

If you end up paying out the door 33,600 and that includes what you were under on your 03 then it's a good price. If your not under, and it's a new 04 I would check for current rebates, and offer invoice (33,500 or so) minus rebates, but 33600 sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread