07 Cobra Vs, Terminator

03yellow

Established Member
I was getting excited about the 07 cobra until I read that the pistons will come from the GT program.
The reason I purchased an 03 cobra was to add HP. My 00 GT was only able to handle another 100hp due to the piston and rings; the ring sits very high on the GTs pistion,thus it gets hot and folds.. when they fold they snap off the top of the piston. You can not put a lot of heat to a GT piston!!!

If this is the case with the 07 cobra, the car will only be capable of another 100hp or so.
At the rear wheels; this would amount to 520rwhp (at the most) with the stock internals. Thats great with a pulley swap and some mods but the car will not be able to handle an aftermarket blower and some boost!

A pullied, ported, terminator would run with any modified 07 cobra, If you consider the added weight.

Im excited about the Block on the 07cobra but if they put the GT style pistons in the car, I'm sure other" saving " changes will be made to the internals. On the GT these "savings" included weak, rods,springs and crank.

If this is the direction of the 07 cobra I wouldnt assume that you could slap on a Whipple or a KB and have the fastest car in town. Actually, You will probally get left at the light by one of those older body style TERMINATORS!!!

dougwg

Established Member
There will be no need for an aftermarket blower.... it will come with a Whipple....

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I must have missed where they said it would use the GT pistons

I only read that it was using the piston rings from the GT

03yellow

Established Member
Super,
Well.... its down to the internals.

It sure would be sweet to add a BAP, Pulley and a tune for ($700) and be over 650 at the rear!!!

dougwg said:
There will be no need for an aftermarket blower.... it will come with a Whipple....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
03yellow said:
How are the internals on the GT40???

the 2005 Ford GT....you know...550 whipple charged HP...212 top speed...$150k...that car

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
dougwg said:

I would guess Doug is correct. I would also expect electronic boost controls so pulleys may not be an option...until the tuners can figure it out and increase boost.

Finally! It's officially here...and it is a winner!! I can't wait....

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I believe Mahle supplied the pistons for the Ford GT program. I haven't read any real details on the internals of the new "Cobra".

JerseySVT

Established Member
dougwg said:

Well, if you use your imagination....i'm seeing a Whipple 3.3 on there. :drool:

:beer:

S/CCobra03

Established Member
My guess is with all of the people complaining about Ford voiding their warranties on their 03-04 Cobra, I'm seeing Ford making it HARD to change a pulley for a power increase on the 07.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
I remember in MM&FF they were stating with a twin turbo setup it would be relatively easy to get a basic stock GT"40" mill to blow past the 1000 hp mark. However they didn't mention much about the internals.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
mblgjr said:
I believe Mahle supplied the pistons for the Ford GT program...

you are correct sir!

Mahle high strength, forged aluminum with anodized top ring land

they are also gas-ported and get cooled from underneath by oil squirters in the block

Last edited:

Z O SICK

Established Member
S/CCobra03 said:
My guess is with all of the people complaining about Ford voiding their warranties on their 03-04 Cobra, I'm seeing Ford making it HARD to change a pulley for a power increase on the 07.

How hard can it be? Someone will make a tool just like they did for the 03/04 Cobras. I bet the problem will be tuning. From what i hear the 05 GT (Mustangs) has problems with the traction control. I read this in a MM&FF a while back so it could be fixed by now. I hope the new Cobra doen't have as many problems as some of the first run 03 Cobras. I want a new Cobra so bad, but i might just have to wait till Ford fixes any problems the Cobra might have.

S/CCobra03

Established Member
JSTA46 said:
How hard can it be? Someone will make a tool just like they did for the 03/04 Cobras. I bet the problem will be tuning. From what i hear the 05 GT (Mustangs) has problems with the traction control. I read this in a MM&FF a while back so it could be fixed by now. I hope the new Cobra doen't have as many problems as some of the first run 03 Cobras. I want a new Cobra so bad, but i might just have to wait till Ford fixes any problems the Cobra might have.

I saw a picture somewhere of the SC on the new Shelby and it looked like a clutch system so there are ways to make it tough to pulley it. But it will only be a matter of time before they find a way around it. I'm just saying I bet Ford will make it harder that they did with the previous Cobras.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
S/CCobra03 said:
I saw a picture somewhere of the SC on the new Shelby and it looked like a clutch system so there are ways to make it tough to pulley it. But it will only be a matter of time before they find a way around it. I'm just saying I bet Ford will make it harder that they did with the previous Cobras.

Lets not forget that we could still change the lower pulley! :beer:

PDubs

Established Member
I just can't wait until people start demodding the 03s and make some nice performance parts available to us. :)

04torchred

Established Member
I for one will not jump on the band wagon and get a new 07 Cobra. I would much rather purchase the 5.4L DOHC block stuff it with some good shit and drop that in my 04. Why have to go through warranty again when you know you are gonna want to mod it. Plus I personally feel that the new body style is starting to look to big and bulky.

Silver 03 Cobra

BADASS03SVT said:
the 2005 Ford GT....you know...550 whipple charged HP...212 top speed...$150k...that car

Rated 550 crank but has been spinning the rollers to 550 making it closer to 650. My guess is the 07 Cobra will make at least 420 rwhp SAE making it closer to 500 crank.

They have a Shelby topic on LS1.com. Those guys are dying.

Users who are viewing this thread