07 Cobra Vs, Terminator

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
They have a Shelby topic on LS1.com. Those guys are dying.
:lol: Just went over to take a peek. Looks like there'll be a lot more people signing up on this site. Of course, if those guys think they're going to get one at sticker... :kaboom:

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
Rated 550 crank but has been spinning the rollers to 550 making it closer to 650. My guess is the 07 Cobra will make at least 420 rwhp SAE making it closer to 500 crank.

They have a Shelby topic on LS1.com. Those guys are dying.

500 at the crank sounds right. I was thinking that 450 hp with the 5.4 and the twin screw Whipple sounded weak when compaired to the 4.6 Eaton with 424 at the crank. Ford will underrate this Cobra also. ( 03/04 rated at 390 hp. ) If they can keep the price less than $40k, It's a good purchase. We shall see.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm mindful of the fact that what we're seeing at this point is a concept. Things will change (design, motor, drivetrain, etc.) between now and when the car actually goes into production. Ford was smart generating excitement by showing the car with all the good stuff. Same thing they did with the 2005 Mustang GT concept. Time will tell what actually becomes a production reality IMO.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'm confused - are we talking about the Shelby Cobra GT500 just introduced with a 450hp 5.4, or the next SVT Cobra? Ford is not doing any favors with all this confusion.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25369&page=2&pp=30

Look at post #39. According to this vendor an upper pulley swap on the 07 is not an option. If you look at the picture it looks like the pulley is almost part of the actual blower shaft.

Too early to tell guys. I am sure there will be some more changes before production.

I'll just hang out and wait and see how well it responds to modifications.

Tell you what. Prices for aftermarket parts for the 03/04 are going to go down soon.

PoisonSnake

Banned
How will the Whipple charged '07 cobra do with a KB 03/04 cobra? If a modded 07 can outrun modded 03/04s then I guess im gonna be trading in..

just like I predicted when the 99/01 cobras came out everyone talked about that till the 03/04 came out and basically no one gave a shit about the 01 anymore now when the 07 comes out, i hope it doesn't seem like no one will give a shit about the 03/04

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
A pullied 03/04 should out run a stock 07 cobra. If an 07 has weak internals it wiil only be able to hit 520rwhp or so. The bottom end on an 03/04 can handle over 750rwhp.
The reason for starting this post was to find out what internals were in the 07 cobra. If the 07 has weak internals(pistons to begin with) it would be limited in adding power (boost) to around the 520rwhp mark.

SVT316x said:
How will the Whipple charged '07 cobra do with a KB 03/04 cobra? If a modded 07 can outrun modded 03/04s then I guess im gonna be trading in..

just like I predicted when the 99/01 cobras came out everyone talked about that till the 03/04 came out and basically no one gave a shit about the 01 anymore now when the 07 comes out, i hope it doesn't seem like no one will give a shit about the 03/04

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
There is absolutely no evidence to support the idea that the blown 5.4 in the 07 Cobra has "weak pistons". I can't imagine Ford using weaker pistons on a more powerful engine - doesn't even sort of make sense.

Additionally, I would suggest that those running anywhere near 750 RWHP on stock 03/04 pistons are playing with a ticking timebomb.

Silver 03 Cobra

03yellow said:
A pullied 03/04 should out run a stock 07 cobra. If an 07 has weak internals it wiil only be able to hit 520rwhp or so. The bottom end on an 03/04 can handle over 750rwhp.
The reason for starting this post was to find out what internals were in the 07 cobra. If the 07 has weak internals(pistons to begin with) it would be limited in adding power (boost) to around the 520rwhp mark.

I would hope that a modded 03/04 would outrun a stock 07.

I'm not sure if the 03/04 pistons can handle 750 rwhp over and extended period of time/street abuse/track abuse/daily driven.

Why in the heck would Ford put cast parts in the 07 when they went fully forged on the 03/04 to handle the same boost? I don't think so.

As far as the pulley, the pulley shaft is not part of the rotor. Someone will make a replaceable shaft/nose for the Whipple that will accept interchangeable pulleys.

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
The 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500 is a Ford SVT Product. I am not sure were SVT is located in the name sequence. "2007 Ford Mustang SVT Shelby Cobra GT500". Is this right? That's a mouth full.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
WhiteT3 said:
The 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500 is a Ford SVT Product. I am not sure were SVT is located in the name sequence. "2007 Ford Mustang SVT Shelby Cobra GT500". Is this right? That's a mouth full.
It will never retain that long name IMO. I expect it to ultimiately be simply badged as a 2007 SVT Shelby GT500. The word 'Cobra' might not even be used. ;-)

TheBigDu

Established Member
I was at the opening day of the NY Auto Show yesterday. They had the new SVT Shelby Cobra GT500. It was red with white stripes, had hood exhaust vents similar to those on 03/04 Cobras, and had a black plastic trim under the side skirts and the front bumper. The wheels said SVT, the license plate said SVT, the fenders and front grille had cobra emblems on them, and the white decorative striping just above the side skirts said "GT 500". I don't recall seeing "Shelby" anywhere, but it must be there somewhere. The little info card near the car said "5.4 L Supercharged DOHC" and claimed "460+" HP.

WDW MKR

Established Member
TheBigDu said:
I was at the opening day of the NY Auto Show yesterday. They had the new SVT Shelby Cobra GT500. It was red with white stripes, had hood exhaust vents similar to those on 03/04 Cobras, and had a black plastic trim under the side skirts and the front bumper. The wheels said SVT, the license plate said SVT, the fenders and front grille had cobra emblems on them, and the white decorative striping just above the side skirts said "GT 500". I don't recall seeing "Shelby" anywhere, but it must be there somewhere. The little info card near the car said "5.4 L Supercharged DOHC" and claimed "460+" HP.

You mean you missed the S H E L B Y that so inconspicuously adorned the entire rear end of the car?! ;-)

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
Looks like Ford is gonna make a sweet car, but I am worried about the price. I don't see it being under $45K with something close to a GT motor, a whipple, and the Shelby name.

stangfreak

Established Member
the car is gonna be sweet and strong. but i cant get rid of my 03. i grew attached to this car i cant let it go

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
poppakap said:
Looks like Ford is gonna make a sweet car, but I am worried about the price. I don't see it being under $45K with something close to a GT motor, a whipple, and the Shelby name.
Believe me, Ford will pare the concept down to make the price point they are seeking. I will be shocked if it ends up being over $40K. They will want to target the same Terminator market as before IMO, not raise it to a point where the buyers most interested can't afford it.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I'm rather confident the MSRP will be under $40k - even if it ends up at $39,999.99. It's the dealer mark-ups that will make them stupid expensive when they first hit the lots.

BenD

Established Member
I think the motor will be a little stronger

From all the negative comments about the '03 and '04 pistons being the weak link I think Ford took notice and will probably use a better piston. Possibly they will use the GT pistons. I don't think there has been any failures with the '03 and '04 Rods or Cranks or none that I'm aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread