08/09 GT500KR or 13/14 GT500

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Good afternoon everyone, I'm getting ready to be in the market for another GT500. This will be a long term purchase and the car will be used mainly for cruising around and going to shows/meets. My question is which one will be more valuable(collectable) over time? I'm pretty sure its the KR but wanted the community's input.
Based on your intended use of the car, I would opt for the KR. Great for cruising and car shows. If utilizing the performance of the car was a big factor, I'd go with the 13/14'. Big upgrade from the 07-09' from this standpoint. And as others have said, the KR is the more rarer car and will retain/improve value. As long as we don't run out of fossil fuels!

Jus Cruisin

Established Member
I don't buy cars as investments, but it seems to me the fewer examples that last through the ages, the more the car's worth. I would think there are fewer KR's built, but how many of those are garage queens that will stand the test of time may impact the final results. When you look at the production numbers, they are not terribly rare cars and not likely to produce that great of a return over other investments. I'd say buy the one that puts the bigger smile on your face. I'd have a hard time with that decision because I think Shelby did a great job in the styling department for the KR. On the other hand, the '14 is a much faster, more refined car.
Yep.... Investments are in the stock market and rarely cars. Sure there are examples of people making a big return but those are few and far between. Cars are my past time / hobby and I'm happy to breakeven which is rare. I bought one #'s matching car about 20 years ago (1969 Chevelle SS396) and was miserable owning it because I couldn't modify it and had to be careful with it. I did make a little bit on the sale of it but I would have done better leaving the money with Merrill Lynch. I want a car that I want to look at everytime I walk by it in the garage. I use this example. A couple can go for a 10 day trip to the Caymans /Hawaii or wherever and blow 10 grand easy. If I have a car for a couple of years and between what I spend on it and what I sell it for costs me 10 grand over that time , I consider it money well spent.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
But if you put that $10 grand in the car, you can enjoy it again, and again and...... You just have to look at as entertainment, because you're not going to recoup it. For all we know, even owning an internal combustion engine may come with its own set of taxes or liabilities 40 or 50 years from now.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If its just investment, 2008 KR unmodified with as low mileage as you can find.

Second would be the 2013 in the rarest combo available.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I am more in the Super Snake world than the GT500KR, for the money I spent in 2008 I could have bought either one and I chose to buy a then new GT500 and send it to Shelby for a 725hp upgrade........My thought then (and it proved to be true), I gambled that Ford was at the 500hp level on the regular GT500's at that time and would surpass the GT500KR 540hp within a couple of model years, and they did. I also guessed that Ford would not build an assy. line Shelby at 700+hp in the S197, and Ford did not.

^^^^^All of this being said............ALL Super Snakes are not the same in the power options per model year........People see 605hp Super Snakes sell for some pretty low dollars (around GT500KR money) and use those selling prices as "Super Snakes values".........Some times depending upon the seller, a 700+ Super Snake "may" sell for 600+hp money, but not usually and many times the car was not well cared for. The HP option on the Super Snake is the starting point to assess value......and then options beyond that.

In reality, in today's world, a 605hp optioned Super Snake is not so "Super", when the Ford Assy. Line built 662hp GT500's for the S197's............the 700+ Shelby built S197's, that is a different story.

I also see many GT500KR and Super Snake owners with "dreamer prices" attached to their cars, many are priced well beyond "selling prices", so do your homework before the purchase.

As for the 2013/14's, they are more refined than the earlier GT500's, by Ford or by Shelby.

R

Users who are viewing this thread