09 GT500 to 2012 5.0 questions.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Hey everyone I am thinking of trading in my 09 GT500 for a 2012 track pack.

I like road racing and im not much of a drag kind of guy. I have two nearby tracks Daytona Rolex Course and Sebring to do track events. Do you guys think I should trade the gt500 for a 2012 5.0? Im not much of an autoxer or a short track.

Did they fix the transmission issues in the manual from 11' to 12'?
will the 13' taillights retro-fit into the 12?
Who here has traded an 07-09 GT500 to a new 5.0 and how are they liking it so far?
has there been any word from Ford of an Auto with paddle-shifts in the near future?

here is the one I am looking at tomorrow:

2012 Ford Mustang GT Brembo Brake Package For Sale | Daytona Beach FL .

First mods will be GT500 rear spoiler
boss 302 front grille (fog light delete)
black rtr 19inch wheels
tune
exhaust

thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Hey everyone I am thinking of trading in my 09 GT500 for a 2012 track pack.

I like road racing and im not much of a drag kind of guy. I have two nearby tracks Daytona Rolex Course and Sebring to do track events. Do you guys think I should trade the gt500 for a 2012 5.0? Im not much of an autoxer or a short track.

Did they fix the transmission issues in the manual from 11' to 12'?
will the 13' taillights retro-fit into the 12?
Who here has traded an 07-09 GT500 to a new 5.0 and how are they liking it so far?
has there been any word from Ford of an Auto with paddle-shifts in the near future?

here is the one I am looking at tomorrow:

2012 Ford Mustang GT Brembo Brake Package For Sale | Daytona Beach FL .

First mods will be GT500 rear spoiler
boss 302 front grille (fog light delete)
black rtr 19inch wheels
tune
exhaust

thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!

I have a 2012, one of the early production ones. My transmission shifts perfectly, and it's 30 degree's here in michigan. I dont drive it in the snow, it's been dry and i've been dataloging it. I also just installed a procharger on the car as well and the trans seems to shift better with the it installed actually haha.

My car also is lowered with steeda lower rear control arms and nitto invo tires. It handles amazingly to say the least. I'm getting a set of tokico D spec shocks/struts so the handling will only get better. I have RTR wheels as well and they make the car look so much better.

I love my 5.0 and would take it over any GT500 anyday to be honest with you. I've never driven a GT500 and i would imagine them being complete animals when going in a straight line. But with the 5.0, you can go around corners pretty quickly and the car will just hook.. Plus the 5.0 pulls straight to redline and wont ever let up.

I think you'll be happy with the 5.0, in my opinion. Either car is badass. both have their pro's and con's.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
I went from an 07 GT500 to an "11

I have no regrets personally, but the only bad thing is resale...A GT500 will hold it's value, where as a GT, well, is just a GT.

This car feels better balanced, less complicated and more fun to drive IMO.

I hope those '13 taillights retrofit!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The '13 taillights will not retrofit, they are different.

I would suggest you drive the GT and see if you like it more than the GT500. That is the only way to know. The GT is a great car, but the GT500 is the top dog Mustang. Make sure you are willing to take a step down. Also, based upon what you like to do...I would look for a Boss.

Mike

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Boss is a little out of my price range at the moment. It's a bummer those 13' tails wont retrofit. But the 12's don't look bad with the gt500 spoiler i guess.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
The GT is a great car, but the GT500 is the top dog Mustang. Make sure you are willing to take a step down. Also, based upon what you like to do...I would look for a Boss.
Mike

I don't agree with that for a second. The 09 GT500 is a nice car but is not superior to a brand new GT. The Shelby has more "novelty" appeal but will not outperform a new GT unless modded. A 2011+ Shelby is definitely a nicer/better car but the 09's are not in the same league.

Go drive a new GT and form your own opinion. Also, I'd try to avoid trading unless you enjoy being raped. Post up that Shelby for sale, you'll get a lot more money. Good luck!

Funny5.0

Established Member
Tough choice. Iv'e driven both and thought the GT500 was more fun to drive and sounded cooler(blower).
But, the 5.0 is much better for daily driving, roomier, much lighter clutch...
The GT500 felt more like a weekend warrior to me just like the terminator.
More status(if you care)with the GT500, people in my area see my car as just a mustang...
Both are quick and have crazy potential.
In the end, if I didn't need a warranty I'd take the GT500;)

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
thanks for everybody's input I think im going to wait for a 13'. i test drove the new 5.0 today and loved it ford built an incredible machine. Very nimble car. Not that I hate the 12' tails but I love the 13' and with my new job it looks like I will be able to get x-plan on it. Im still going to do a silver track pack no more black for me.

Its only a 4month wait my dealer told me and said they will be similarly priced and if i work with with the same salesman he would cut me a great deal.

atistang

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the 13s autos are going to have a select shift option, not sure if it will be with paddles or not

Users who are viewing this thread