09 GT500 vs pair of crotch rockets

frazierfreud

Established Member
it was about 1am on I-45 north passing through the woodlands and conroe, tx. there was literally almost no one on the road. i saw taillights on two bikes up ahead of me. i sped up and pulled along side. i have no idea what kind of bikes they were. we were going about 80mph. i dropped to 3rd gear, they dropped and we all took off. one guy was tenative and kind of held back. the other guy walked me. we slowed down and did it again. this time both bikes walked me. my gt500 makes 555rwhp / 574 rwtq with cai, stock blower, 2.6 upper, iw lower, 3" magnaflow catback.

this is where the fun starts:rockon:. we all slowed down back to 80mph or so. i was behind them and dumped it in 4th and blew past them to do a high speed run. they started chasing after me, but i had a big head start. i shifted to 5th gear at 6000rpm and kept accelerating. i buried the speedometer with at least 1000rpm left to go before redline in 5th gear! (things get a little blurry going this fast...the road and my memory!) i kept it floored in 5th for another five seconds or so, then put it in 6th gear and floored it for another 5 seconds or so. then i backed off. the bikers caught up to me after i slowed down. they gave the thumbs up.

i'm not sure how fast i went. i'm guessing 170mph, which would be a little faster than previous top speed. these cars are freaking crazy!! i could have kept it in 5th gear a lot longer without redlining. it makes me want to run the texas mile. it also makes me wish our speedometer went a lot higher.

by the way, my car was pulling some major timing after this. no lights or warnings on the dash. it just seemed like a total lack of power once i exited the interstate and turned around for home.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Cool, sounds like a fun time, I bet those rice rockets are talking about the runs too...LOL, H.

littlejohn

Established Member
These things build heat pretty good when running hard for extended periods, especially with upper and lower pullies on the stock blower. Plus, it has been established that the stock cats are a big restriction above 550 rwhp, getting too hot and the computer richens up(losing power) to keep them from melting.

I have LTs, no cats and 3 inch exhaust, and a ported stock blower. All helped for fighting heat buildup, but my car will still pull timing on a long hard run, and I`ve had the intercooler coolant boil a tiny bit out of the reservoir a couple of times.

This is where the upgraded heat exchanger and rad make a big difference. The bigger blowers are more efficient at the same boost level and don`t make as much heat(15 lbs) as the stock one. At this level, the stock blower is being oversped and losing efficiency, hence the heating up.

frazierfreud

Established Member
it was about 1am on I-45 north passing through the woodlands and conroe, tx. there was literally almost no one on the road. i saw taillights on two bikes up ahead of me. i sped up and pulled along side. i have no idea what kind of bikes they were. we were going about 80mph. i dropped to 3rd gear, they dropped and we all took off. one guy was tenative and kind of held back. the other guy walked me. we slowed down and did it again. this time both bikes walked me. my gt500 makes 555rwhp / 574 rwtq with cai, stock blower, 2.6 upper, iw lower, 3" magnaflow catback.

this is where the fun starts:rockon:. we all slowed down back to 80mph or so. i was behind them and dumped it in 4th and blew past them to do a high speed run. they started chasing after me, but i had a big head start. i shifted to 5th gear at 6000rpm and kept accelerating. i buried the speedometer with at least 1000rpm left to go before redline in 5th gear! (things get a little blurry going this fast...the road and my memory!) i kept it floored in 5th for another five seconds or so, then put it in 6th gear and floored it for another 5 seconds or so. then i backed off. the bikers caught up to me after i slowed down. they gave the thumbs up.

i'm not sure how fast i went. i'm guessing 170mph, which would be a little faster than previous top speed. these cars are freaking crazy!! i could have kept it in 5th gear a lot longer without redlining. it makes me want to run the texas mile. it also makes me wish our speedometer went a lot higher.

by the way, my car was pulling some major timing after this. no lights or warnings on the dash. it just seemed like a total lack of power once i exited the interstate and turned around for home.

high on my list of next mods is the revan racing h/e and radiator. i think this will be invaluable in texas, even just cruising or sitting in traffic.

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
Kind of off subject a lil bit but I have noticed my car running a lil bit hotter since being here in Killeen as in a lil over the middle where as it usually ran just below the middle prior to moving here. I did upgrade the reservoir for the intercooler but that was it.

Awesome runs though my guess is you ran into 750's or maybe some really suped up 600's? Hard to guess.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
id like to know more about how the car pulls timing. mine does the same thing after a hard run...

Heat that is produced sets off knock sensors which is why the ecu pulls timining.
Also hotter air isn't as dense as cold air.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Heat that is produced sets off knock sensors which is why the ecu pulls timining.
Also hotter air isn't as dense as cold air.

NEGATIVE. the '07-'09's don't have knock sensors like the terminators or the new 2010's. It's based off of IAT2 (probably among other things)

NA_Cobra

Established Member
NEGATIVE. the '07-'09's don't have knock sensors like the terminators or the new 2010's. It's based off of IAT2 (probably among other things)

Ah, yea, you're right about that. If the IATs are too high it pulls timing to keep from burning up the pistons.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Nice! Use a GPS... They don't lie!

Not one to split hairs, but the faster you go with a ground based GPS (Garmin Nuvi, etc.), the less efficient they become. GPS drift can throw you off a bit from reality, but obviously GPS speed is better than guesstimated speed when your speedometer runs out of room!

Compliment on your cajones OP, we've got some four legged demons called deer here in GA that make me weary of running fast after dark.:rockon:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Nice. I have fun with the rice rockets in mine too. I like the look i get when i pass them...nothin like a supercharged v8 screamin in your ear to remind you that your shits slow

Users who are viewing this thread