10 spline finally gave up the ghost...

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Sure did! It lasted four years so it was time for another clutch so in she went :burnout:

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Established Member
lol, I guess that's what happens when you tow your car home in the dark and don't take a look at it until the following weekend...

never saw that coming...

halfshaft carnage.jpg

driver's inner and passenger outer... no wheel hop at launch, have full MM setup... everything is aluminum or poly...

swore that the bang occurred just forward of the shifter, but sound does travel funny in metal... lol

these are my original halfshafts... the sins of the father will catch up to you... all that wheel hop the first 5-6 years of its life...

1badlx

Established Member
I have a brand new d&d 26 spline shaft with shim kit, lethal sleeve, ford racing t/o bearing, and mcleod adj pivot ball. If your interested pm me.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
There's reports of 10 splines popping on street tires in 4th gear. Not sure what abuse was put through them other than that but if you're ever in there my philosophy is to overbuild to avoid future failures. It's ok I realize not everyone is as proactive as I.

Hey that's me! mine went in 4th with tires that never hooked.
Snapchat-20140419023204_zps4b90f4a6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bubblehead93

Established Member
I don't know if the 10 spline is stronger than the half-shafts, recognize the half-shafts are the originals on a car I have driven since July 2002. Back then, lots of wheel hop and not much to do about it... both broker right where the bar is machined down to spline into the CV joint. Under any loading situation that is going to be a stress concentration point. The wheel hop over the years before I MM'ed my entire suspension would have work hardened and fatigued that area. The input shaft takes abuse, but it does not get worked like a lever the way a half-shaft does with wheel hop.

In any event, got a new pair of slightly used half-shafts, new steeda k-member installed with a rebuilt set of front lower controls arms I rebushed with urethane... need to get her down on the race ramps, tighten all the control arm bolts, do an alignment front and rear, get her inspected (for registration purposes in case I break it again before my registration expires this month), and off to the track tonight... 78 degs here in Guam... cool part of the year...

Users who are viewing this thread