10 spline finally gave up the ghost...

bubblehead93

Established Member
Just got done searching through and re-reading old threads about 10 versus 26 spline input shafts... I've had a 26 spline and a 26 spline DX2 clutch plate sitting around for a while.... know many folks have had good success with the 10 spline, to include racing on slicks... thought I would take the 10 spline as far as it would go... far as it would go was Saturday night... third pass, 28" Hoosier slicks w/14#, 3500 rpm launch full throttle off the two step... bang, all done for the night... steeda k-member, quicktime bell housing, and 26 spline going back in...

back story, have had a lot of traction problems, finally realized that my traction-loc needed a rebuild, most of my power had been going to one tire for quite a while... put a Detroit locker in... have done a few auto-x events and street driving since... first dry night since the install for drag racing... track has fairly poor prep... completely different beast off the line with the Detroit locker versus traction-loc... first two passes, could not get enough heat in the tires during the burnout because of the prep they had done (1st three passes of the night, should have let some other folks lay down some rubber)... in any event, first couple passes, tire spin on launch and into second... third pass, finally a solid burnout, staged, green, let her rip, car hooked, bang, sat where I started...

so the original 10 spline died on what was essentially my first pass with both rears truly locked with a solid hook... it is all about the hit, and I hit it hard with my little combination... just another data point amongst many others...

can't wait until the 26 splines become available again, need to get another spare, I'm sure this will not be my last broken input shaft...

Need to finish tearing the car down, I'll post a pic once I pull the tranny...

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Lots of good info in this post, good thing you had a spare 26 spline laying around.

In for pics..

Tractionless1

Established Member
26 spling going back in? Why did it come out? Tell me you're not one of the live/die by the 10-spline crew. Hope they're all reading this thread, maybe they'll come to their senses.

Bigggy

Established Member
Great infos! That was the reason i stayed with a 10 spline, I don't have any needs for a 26. Dumping at 3.5K on slicks is a lot harder then baby the car on the street. Thanks OP for sharing your experience!

bubblehead93

Established Member
It was never in... I had it on standby as I was waiting for my new k-member and some other stuff before putting it in since clutch work with long tubes is such a PIA... after reading the debate, I delayed a little longer (spreading the purchases out a bit too, helped with XMAS spending)... in any event, I'm not a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" 10 spline guy... saw little harm in taking her as far as it would go other than an $85 flat bed ride home from the track... this 10 spline and I had been together since the car was new, while saddened by its passing... I will only will put a 10 spline back in if I can't find another 26 spline before the current one breaks... if TREMEC has discontinued the 26 spline, the market for 10 splines will likely pick up in the interim until the aftermarket picks up the 26 spline input shaft...

b_dike

Established Member
I've always been too afraid to launch off of the 2step for that very reason. Now I have 26 spline, and a lpw diff cover, but I'm still extremely hesitant to try it.

I have a pair of et streets coming in spring. Would you think I'd be OK trying it, at let's say, 3500rpm.... Or am I still just asking to break something else?

bubblehead93

Established Member
with no more 26 splines available until the aftermarket picks it up, I was thinking about buying a brand new in the box 10 spline (i.e. one not subjected to the first 12 years of my driving my cobra) and seeing how that input shaft faired drag racing with my current combo... an experiment...

cj428mach

Established Member
with no more 26 splines available until the aftermarket picks it up, I was thinking about buying a brand new in the box 10 spline (i.e. one not subjected to the first 12 years of my driving my cobra) and seeing how that input shaft faired drag racing with my current combo... an experiment...

If so you should look up my thread about 26 spline input shafts, a company called Last Call Racing is looking for a new 26 spline shaft to use as a template to make new 26 spline shafts. Maybe you can get a free 26 spline shaft for letting them use yours as a loaner.

Mystic03

Established Member
26 spling going back in? Why did it come out? Tell me you're not one of the live/die by the 10-spline crew. Hope they're all reading this thread, maybe they'll come to their senses.

yup im one of them...though i dont do any 3.5k clutch dumps..slip the clutch with proper tire shouldnt be an issue...that was with my prev 650rwhp car..now im shootin for 800+ so well see what happens

Tractionless1

Established Member
Great infos! That was the reason i stayed with a 10 spline, I don't have any needs for a 26. Dumping at 3.5K on slicks is a lot harder then baby the car on the street. Thanks OP for sharing your experience!

yup im one of them...though i dont do any 3.5k clutch dumps..slip the clutch with proper tire shouldnt be an issue...that was with my prev 650rwhp car..now im shootin for 800+ so well see what happens

There's reports of 10 splines popping on street tires in 4th gear. Not sure what abuse was put through them other than that but if you're ever in there my philosophy is to overbuild to avoid future failures. It's ok I realize not everyone is as proactive as I.

Mach828

Established Member
What clutch were you running when it popped? A more forgiving clutch will help ease the shock on the input shaft.

bubblehead93

Established Member
not at all... it is not like you think... yes, not as good as a Tru-Trac, Quaife, or DPI Platnum... but it is not a problem on an auto-x corse, more of an issue in parking lots and slow speed... just need to adapt your driving style...

03 silver cobra

Established Member
I broke a retaining sleeve on a 4800 rpm launch on Hoosiers lol! Thought I had broke the shaft so I went ahead and upgraded while mine was down, I got lucky because my friends dad had a 26 spline input shaft in his shop that he wasn't using and gave it to me!!!!! At the time I didn't realize how hard they are to come by now.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I broke a retaining sleeve on a 4800 rpm launch on Hoosiers lol! Thought I had broke the shaft so I went ahead and upgraded while mine was down, I got lucky because my friends dad had a 26 spline input shaft in his shop that he wasn't using and gave it to me!!!!! At the time I didn't realize how hard they are to come by now.

OE retaining sleeve?

bubblehead93

Established Member
finally Friday here in guam, tonight I'll start tearing everything down... no racing this weekend... need to finish wiring my friends 48 Willys and pull my tranny...

Mystic03

Established Member
I do over kill on everything lol at the power levels i was at didnt need to change the 10spline out..its plenty strong for the power i was at..then again im not clutch dumping at 5k rpms..no meed to with 550+ torque at 2500 rpms

There's reports of 10 splines popping on street tires in 4th gear. Not sure what abuse was put through them other than that but if you're ever in there my philosophy is to overbuild to avoid future failures. It's ok I realize not everyone is as proactive as I.

Users who are viewing this thread