10+ year maintenance recommendations

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I agree with the folks that mention actually inspecting items before replacement. Squeeze hoses to see if you can feel any stiffness/crackling, inspect belts for cracks, get test strips for brake fluid/coolant, spark plugs and fuel filters don't really go bad.

Wouldn't think that a car with 30,000 would need a complete go through unless you're board. Not to mention, the more prying, screwing, bolting/unbolting; the more unnecessarily invasive your being.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Owners manual says the belt should last 100K miles before even being inspected. Replacement is mentioned at 150K if it has not been replaced within the last 100K.

I guess peace of mind is one thing. If the visual inspection doesn't reveal any cracks or missing chunks - and the belt doesn't squeal - wouldn't you think it is safe to say the belt is in good condition and doesn't need replacing?

Which belt? In either case you're probably not running OE boost anymroe and putting much more stress on them (all parts) than what OE intervals require.

I agree with the folks that mention actually inspecting items before replacement. Squeeze hoses to see if you can feel any stiffness/crackling, inspect belts for cracks, get test strips for brake fluid/coolant, spark plugs and fuel filters don't really go bad.

Wouldn't think that a car with 30,000 would need a complete go through unless you're board. Not to mention, the more prying, screwing, bolting/unbolting; the more unnecessarily invasive your being.

Going to have to take hoses off to get the best inspection done. Should be draining your coolant and refilling annually anyway or atlesst testing with strips once/year.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Which belt? In either case you're probably not running OE boost anymroe and putting much more stress on them (all parts) than what OE intervals require.....

I download the Maintenance schedule and then did a word search for belt.

Link to the latest print: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04nmgmg5e.pdf

The first mention of Belt (accessory drive belt(s)) inspection is at 100K (page 38 - Normal Schedule Minivan Cars). It's not listed in the Multi-Point inspection - though I think it prudent to look over the belts every time anyways. For contrast - the cooling system is to be inspected at 15K.

My question still is that if the belt looks healthy and performs well - do you really need to replace it? Are there regular cases of belts looking and performing healthy and then just snapping for no reason or warning?

And just an aside - I am one of the rare owners that is actually still operating with the stock tune and boost. I have a feeling that based on the mods listed by the OP - he is probably stock tune/boost as well.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Most belts now a days stretch before showing cracks that most of us are used to seeing to determine whether or not they need to be changed. Gates Green stretches less than others and Gates Blue (limited sizes) even less than green. FWIW the cost of a tow far outweighs the cost of a belt and/or hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread