100 Miles On A Donut

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
My brother had a flat. Drove 100 miles home with a small donut spare tire on rear of car. 2003 8.8 IRS.

Are my differential clutch plates now fried from the two tires turning at different speeds?

Currently waiting for my 3.73 gears, bearing kit, and bushing kit to arrive in the mail. Think I need a clutch pack kit now?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Might as well while you are in there. I just pulled my diff out twice, once to reseal the cover, and a second time to do carrier bearings I found out were bad after I put in harder bushings.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
You could always try doing some things to determine the state of the differential?

Giving some throttle while cornering will be a good indication - if you have one wheel putting down all the power (and spinning like crazy) then your diff is going to need some work. Be careful when doing this obviously (controlled conditions - large empty parking lot etc.).

I'm sure there are other ways to determine it's condition as well, don't really know myself so hit up google!

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Thanks guys. Another quickie if you don't mind.

Know where I can find a good exploded view of the IRS? Looking to familiarize myself with different components of the IRS. Been told to replace outer housing bearings and seals. Looking at the Ford Racing M-4413-A bearing/seal kit here. I think these are the ones. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6005

Are these the ones that the CV axles will slide into at the differential housing?

Thanks again.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Thanks guys. Another quickie if you don't mind.

Know where I can find a good exploded view of the IRS? Looking to familiarize myself with different components of the IRS. Been told to replace outer housing bearings and seals. Looking at the Ford Racing M-4413-A bearing/seal kit here. I think these are the ones. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6005

Are these the ones that the CV axles will slide into at the differential housing?

Thanks again.

Yes they are. Check out Tasca, they are a sponsor on here, and have those and other ford parts at great prices.

Users who are viewing this thread