?? 100 shot and 2.80 with mt drs

hsssss03

Established Member
Ok so i have a 2.80 pulley, jlt intake high flow intake and a 100 shot with a jon lund tune, a girdle on the rear and 315 mt drs. i haven't fired the shot off from a stop , just courious whats going to happen when i do whats the next step besides clutch? let me know

Last edited:

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
that IRS is going to scream bloody murder!!! lol Say goodbye to your halfshafts and who knows what else if it hooks...

MustangThief

Established Member
Girdle on the rear = IRS pumpkin brace?

Blown04GT i don't think he'll snap his halfs... it's not out of the question, but I dont think it's gauranteed breakage...

hssssss03, Why are you so antsy to pop a 100 shot from a dead stop anyway? Most suspension failure happens at launch, so unless you have money you *want* to waste, then why put such a strain on it while at a stop?

I'd say just pop it after you get the parts moving, 15-20mph. The 14 lbs of boost (?) you should be seeing should offset you needing that 100 shot off the line...

Mystic03

Established Member
Blown04GT said:
that IRS is going to scream bloody murder!!! lol Say goodbye to your halfshafts and who knows what else if it hooks...

+1 exactly what i was thinking if you do so get on video!

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
MustangThief said:
Blown04GT i don't think he'll snap his halfs... it's not out of the question, but I dont think it's gauranteed breakage...

I have just seen them go with a lot less.....and not to mention adding another 150-200 ft lb of torque to the tires from a dig, and hooking. If they live, it will only be for one launch...

hsssss03

Established Member
Mystic03 said:
+1 exactly what i was thinking if you do so get on video!
thanks guys i probably won't hit it right off the line and i will get a girdle, the spray is just there if i need it, a friend of mine has a vette heads, cam, 150 and he wants to race...
o and i will get it on video. :)

ViciousJay

Established Member
you should be ok... i mean hows what he doing then running a whipple or kb at 600 hp on stock halfshafts? its been proven to work ok with others, just be careful and have fun and hold on

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I am not sure about the halfshafts.. but I would put my money on your needing a new input shaft after you do that... I think you'll hit it, then your car will just screech to a bloody halt...

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
ViciousJay said:
you should be ok... i mean hows what he doing then running a whipple or kb at 600 hp on stock halfshafts? its been proven to work ok with others, just be careful and have fun and hold on

It isn't the horsepower that snaps the halfshafts, it's the torque.

GodStang

Established Member
My buddy on a bone stock 03 Cobra with 275 BFG DRs Snapped his half shafts on a launch. So if you hook I guarantee bye bye half shafts. And I know someone will come on and say well my brothers cusions friend was putting down 3000rwhp and had 10,000 launches on stock half shafts and have never broke a one. But chances are you will.

svt99rag

Established Member
GodStang said:
My buddy on a bone stock 03 Cobra with 275 BFG DRs Snapped his half shafts on a launch. So if you hook I guarantee bye bye half shafts. And I know someone will come on and say well my brothers cusions friend was putting down 3000rwhp and had 10,000 launches on stock half shafts and have never broke a one. But chances are you will.
True that!
DSC04561_JPG.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
Blown04GT said:
It isn't the horsepower that snaps the halfshafts, it's the torque.

yea and your point being is...??? a 2.8 and a 100 shot is the same as a whipple or kb with 17lbs of boost :shrug:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
ViciousJay said:
yea and your point being is...??? a 2.8 and a 100 shot is the same as a whipple or kb with 17lbs of boost :shrug:

I would imagine the 2.8 with a 100 shot would make a good 40-50 more rwtq than a 17 psi twin screw...

I mean the average 17psi twinscrew makes what like 560-580 rwtq?

With these cars from what I have seen a 100 shot can give as much as 175 rwtq or something crazy like that....

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the nos car would have more rwtq

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
03cobrarocks said:
I would imagine the 2.8 with a 100 shot would make a good 40-50 more rwtq than a 17 psi twin screw...

I mean the average 17psi twinscrew makes what like 560-580 rwtq?

With these cars from what I have seen a 100 shot can give as much as 175 rwtq or something crazy like that....

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the nos car would have more rwtq

You are correct sir! but I have seen that most twin screw cars do not make that kind of torque with 17 lbs 530-550RWTQ is what I would think:beer:

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
the stock clutch is the saving grace for the Irs, upgrade it and the half shafts will go out. I think DR's are harder on the rear than slicks, you would be better off with the slicks the slight give and flex they have takes up some of the shock right off the bat and along with a stock clutch you should be ok, DR's more than likely won't hook sprayin off the line and if they do, I don't want to be around to see that, hope whatever you decide to do works out for ya.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
ViciousJay said:

my point is that with his mods and a 100 shot, he will be making a good amount of torque more than a KB or Whipple car with 17psi (most of them anyway).

That is too much torque for the stock IRS and it is not a good idea to play with fire unless you have some water handy :) If he doesn't care about breaking stuff, I agree, have fun and hold on. But if he is like a lot of us, he doesn't want to break anything, so he should wait to about the 60' at least and then hit it.

Better safe than sorry is the way I would play it.

mavereq

Established Member
GodStang said:

i launch the shit out of my car on e/t streets and hook well.... no broken shafts so far.

GodStang

Established Member
mavereq said:
i launch the shit out of my car on e/t streets and hook well.... no broken shafts so far.

What do you launch at and do you slip the clutch or side step it?>

mavereq

Established Member
i don't completely sidestep, but i let it out pretty damn fast. last races i was launching at 3k. i have switched to 4.10's and a 28" e/t street, so i am going to launch a little higher.

Users who are viewing this thread