11,000-hp HEMI V-8 Engine Time-Lapse Tear-Down/Build

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It's all cordless impacts when the camera is off!
(Torque wrenches for back on though)
It was one of these time lapse rebuild between rounds videos that made me finally go out and buy one. I think it might have been one of Murillo's. Man what a difference that makes. Now I can screw things up faster!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When everything has been sorted out things certainly can get done quickly. Sometimes too quickly. 2000 Audi R8 prototype LeMans car pulled into the garage with a broken transmission. It took the crew 3 minutes 15 seconds to change the gearbox and at 3 minutes 40 seconds the driver was pulling out of pit lane onto the track. Following year that was banned. Audi apparently had their car sorted out a little to well.

Ya I believe that was where they just changed out the whole damned back 1/3 or so of the car. Body, suspension, trans and all

blownstang01

Established Member
I always wondered how low on the totem pole you are to be the one pulling the pan and rod caps like 2 min 13 seconds after a run...
But, I'd gladly be that guy.

L-Bronco

Established Member
I've always enjoyed watching them rebuild between races in the pits at NHRA events. It's simply amazing how quickly they get it done, and how well they work in unison.
It is for sure. I am fortunate enough to be a crew member for a Nostalgia nitro funny car. (same basic engine, only one mag and a lot less fuel. We are 5000Hp) It is the coolest thing I have ever been part of! 3 guys on the same engine and one on the clutch\trans and nobody gets bumped into or stepped on.

L-Bronco

Established Member
I always wondered how low on the totem pole you are to be the one pulling the pan and rod caps like 2 min 13 seconds after a run...
But, I'd gladly be that guy.
Actually the worst job is the clutch. Its way hotter than the engine, and oil washes off way easier than clutch dust! Bottom end isn't that bad, you just have to work between the drips. And you are right, nobody complains no matter where you work on the car!

olympic

Established Member
Awesome video, loved it! I got a chuckle when they give it the ol' craigslist dingleberry rebuild at the 4:00 mark...lol!

L-Bronco

Established Member
Awesome video, loved it! I got a chuckle when they give it the ol' craigslist dingleberry rebuild at the 4:00 mark...lol!
I chuckled at that one too!
We use a rigid hone on ours between rounds. (It shows how much the sleeves have stretched, plus puts in some crosshatch to hold oil for the rings)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Pretty cool that they still use the two plugs per head system.

Users who are viewing this thread