11' tune in regards to knock sensors

slynch68

Established Member
Picked up a 2.6" pulley, Lethal O/R x pipe, OEM car cover and pulley removal tool for $400 on ebay. Not a bad days work. Trust me when i say i read, read and read some more on the forums for info but can't get an answer about this:

Which tuners desensitize the knock sensors for better performance? I want peace of mind having a tune that has the knock sensors in OE specs.

Getting a SCT X3 for the tune and want to get a 91,93, and 100 with nitrous tune(75shot only!) I know i'll pick up about 70rwhp with the tune, x pipe, and pulley combo as I already have a JLT CAI on the car so thats covered.

So out of the big four(EVO, VMP, LETHAL, REVAN) which is the ticket? I don't want to waste the money on having the car dyno'd and tuned specifically as I have heard/read too many problems with having the knock sensors desensitized with other shops. I'm not saying small shops don't have experience or are reputable but a Lund tune through one of the companies is fine with me as there are plenty of GT500's that have been test mules for great tunes. Also i like to do my own wrenching and installing a tune is easier and faster than changing an air filter

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Picked up a 2.6" pulley, Lethal O/R x pipe, OEM car cover and pulley removal tool for $400 on ebay. Not a bad days work. Trust me when i say i read, read and read some more on the forums for info but can't get an answer about this:

Which tuners desensitize the knock sensors for better performance? I want peace of mind having a tune that has the knock sensors in OE specs.

Getting a SCT X3 for the tune and want to get a 91,93, and 100 with nitrous tune(75shot only!) I know i'll pick up about 70rwhp with the tune, x pipe, and pulley combo as I already have a JLT CAI on the car so thats covered.

So out of the big four(EVO, VMP, LETHAL, REVAN) which is the ticket? I don't want to waste the money on having the car dyno'd and tuned specifically as I have heard/read too many problems with having the knock sensors desensitized with other shops. I'm not saying small shops don't have experience or are reputable but a Lund tune through one of the companies is fine with me as there are plenty of GT500's that have been test mules for great tunes. Also i like to do my own wrenching and installing a tune is easier and faster than changing an air filter

Being that 3 out of the 4 companies you list above all sell Jon's tunes it's going to come down to who you prefer to deal with.

If you end up ordering from us we've got a streamlined process with Jon so your turnaround time is 24 hours or less. All of the parts are here in stock so the only thing that needs to be done for the order to ship is have the custom tune made. Once you place the order we'll send you a tune request form. Fill it out, submit it and we send it directly to Jon. Usually we'll receive the tune back the same day so the order can ship the same day you order. However if Jon is busy and is unavailable he still sticks to a 24 hour or less turnaround time.

If you have any questions regarding the tune or any of the parts please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

slynch68

Established Member
Jared, you were the first one on my list as your 10' GT500 is the reason my wife hounded me about getting the black/grabber stripes.

Good to know about the tune ordering process but does Jon leave the knock sensors in OE specs?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
It's best to call the person you are getting the tune from and ask them directly. If they use Global or made the switch to individual knock detection. Just a flip of the switch in the tune and is believed to be the big cause of the number 8 piston failure in the coyote. Other important questions would be if they turn off the catalyst protection system(also saves exhaust valves and sensors) how aggressive they get with timing and yadda yadda yadda. All the normal questions one should ask before giving permission to change important parameters in an expensive car that could lead to damage.

I personally have used Ken Bjonnes in the past and have zero complaints and car runs like a dream and is safe. He really knows his stuff. I do not have any experience with Lund or Justin so I can not give any input on them.

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jared, you were the first one on my list as your 10' GT500 is the reason my wife hounded me about getting the black/grabber stripes.

Good to know about the tune ordering process but does Jon leave the knock sensors in OE specs?

Thanks a bunch. The black w/grabber is definitely one of the best color schemes of all time.

As far as the knock sensors go they are left stock.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Van@RevanRacing

We sell Jon Lund's tunes for a reason, they are accurate, detailed and delivered in a timely manner. Feel free to give me a call at your convenience and I can go over a number of different things that are done when Jon writes the tunes.

It's best to call the person you are getting the tune from and ask them directly. If they use Global or made the switch to individual knock detection. Just a flip of the switch in the tune and is believed to be the big cause of the number 8 piston failure in the coyote. Other important questions would be if they turn off the catalyst protection system(also saves exhaust valves and sensors) how aggressive they get with timing and yadda yadda yadda. All the normal questions one should ask before giving permission to change important parameters in an expensive car that could lead to damage.

I personally have used Ken Bjonnes in the past and have zero complaints and car runs like a dream and is safe. He really knows his stuff. I do not have any experience with Lund or Justin so I can not give any input on them.

FYI. Jon Lund and Ken Bjonnes are friends. Ken lives down here in South Florida now and he does all of his tuning exclusively on the Revan Lund Dyno. Ken is a great tuner.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
You are correct Van. Ken and Jon are friends and they both speak highly of each other. I do not have any experience with Jon one on one however. I had became friends with Ken when he was in Cincinnati and was introduced to him when he first started Modular Depot(the site before the shop). Great guy and we seem to be losing all sorts of people that are moving to florida. Lol I thought that's where you moved when a person retired!!! I'll be done in Florida next year for vacation maybe if it's so nice there I could convince the wife to move. Yeah right! I still rocked the MD sticker on my back glass until Ken went away.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

You are correct Van. Ken and Jon are friends and they both speak highly of each other. I do not have any experience with Jon one on one however. I had became friends with Ken when he was in Cincinnati and was introduced to him when he first started Modular Depot(the site before the shop). Great guy and we seem to be losing all sorts of people that are moving to florida. Lol I thought that's where you moved when a person retired!!! I'll be done in Florida next year for vacation maybe if it's so nice there I could convince the wife to move. Yeah right! I still rocked the MD sticker on my back glass until Ken went away.

Very cool. Try and get down to West Palm Beach and we'll hook up for dinner one night with Ken. I'm sure he'd like to see some Northerners! :beer:

mullens

Established Member
Just a general question to your question...why would anyone desensitize knock sensors? Seems foolish to me and there's really no up-side to it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just a general question to your question...why would anyone desensitize knock sensors? Seems foolish to me and there's really no up-side to it.

Knock sensors pull timing. Making them less sensitive prevents the timing from being pulled.

Some tuners including OEM's can make the the PCM react very conservative allowing the timing to be pulled by several degree's even if the slightest bit of knock is present. A lot of aftermarket tuners aren't that conservative. Not saying that aftermarket tuners are aggressive but more so that they're not as conservative as an OEM tune would be with that portion of the tune.

It's the same with IAT2. You can tune the car to pull several degree's of timing at any temperature you like. Some tuners keep that temp setting low and some raise it.

Jared

Van@RevanRacing

Thus the reason why there are "Tuners" and then there are "Tooners".

Ford might very well have set a high benchmark for Global Knock sensing where a 'Tuner' can be bring it down to a reasonable knock sensing measure for an educated consumer (someone who actually runs the highest octane fuel they can purchase every time at the pump)

For example, there is someone out there that will put a trailer hitch on a GT500 and try and tow a boat up a 30% grade with 87 octane in the car. :lol1:Most of us are wise enough not to do this but there are individuals out there that don't have enough common sense regarding engine management to understand the dynamics of what they are attempting to do . These cars with knock sensing set to OEM standards saves everybody time and money. (The consumer and Ford)

mullens

Established Member
Well explained guys..thanks. I always considered knock sensors as a major safeguard and taboo to mess with them. I think they are a great tool that allows Ford to tune thier OEM tunes more aggressively. I'm sure a good tuner (not tooner) would take into consideration the available fuel for the particular application before adjusting them. I know mine work for sure...my datalog shows major timing pulls with this crap 91 fuel out here in NV.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Those were good explanations and good based on 10-later cars. There is another reason why some tuners(and blower companies) cut back on Knock sensor sensitivity. Positive displacement blowers can send "false" readings due to noise/pulse of the blower. KB found this on the old NA Cobras and Mach 1s pulling timing when there really wasn't any detonation or pinging present. The 96-98 Cobra's also was EXTREMELY sensitive and would pull timing all the time even when the car was 100% stock as the Modular engines are actually loud engines that the knock sensors sometimes confuse with detonation/pinging. These issues have been mostly worked out as time has progressed.

Van that sounds like a plan.

slynch68

Established Member
All of these are great responses and are why I asked in the first place. I'm not going for trophy HP numbers I just want a safe tune. I know our 10-12's are more aggressive than the 07-09's but there is always room to get more ponies from the factory. The gas around here in lower Mississippi is pretty stout so octane shouldn't be an issue, even has 10% ethanol. Van I will be ordering some cooling mods from you down the road because this Mississippi heat makes you want to slap yo momma...I'm from Nevada(not used to everybody's southern slang) down here for work through military and the nevada heat has nothing on this stuff. Car feels totally different in the morning than afternoon.

Dry or Wet 75hp shot through the blower? Researched alot last night and couldn't find a straight answer. Trust me when say I won't go more than 100hp on the juice. Alot of people get greedy with it but I have some will power. Plus with the PD blower the tq gains are insane and that what you feel. Buehler?

Van@RevanRacing

All of these are great responses and are why I asked in the first place. I'm not going for trophy HP numbers I just want a safe tune. I know our 10-12's are more aggressive than the 07-09's but there is always room to get more ponies from the factory. The gas around here in lower Mississippi is pretty stout so octane shouldn't be an issue, even has 10% ethanol. Van I will be ordering some cooling mods from you down the road because this Mississippi heat makes you want to slap yo momma...I'm from Nevada(not used to everybody's southern slang) down here for work through military and the nevada heat has nothing on this stuff. Car feels totally different in the morning than afternoon.

Dry or Wet 75hp shot through the blower? Researched alot last night and couldn't find a straight answer. Trust me when say I won't go more than 100hp on the juice. Alot of people get greedy with it but I have some will power. Plus with the PD blower the tq gains are insane and that what you feel. Buehler?

Right on. I look forward to cooling your car down. Dry 75 Shot pre-throttle body. It will create some huge torque.

Users who are viewing this thread