13-14 For heavy Autocross duty over a vette?

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
I've long been a mustang guy. I traded my 13 Boss 302 when I "wanted" to mod the hell out of it for more power, and ended up in a 2011 Grand sport vette.

I then got hooked on autocrossing, and autocross twice a month. the vette is on relatively stock suspension, and modded to 460rwhp. I run race tires (315 front, 345 rears, yummy), but I found a 13 grabber blue with all options except glass roof and it has me thinking....

Im relatively competitive in the short time I've been autocrossing, and compete in a HPDE once or twice a year. I know I'd likely love the GT500 on the road course, but not sure about slinging it around the autox track as much.

I also debated the z06 route too, although I am handing with the z06's in autox currently due to the GS's gearing....

So, any heavy GT500 autocrossers out there? How does it fair?

Only thing I have close is a couple coyote guys that drive hard, and are generally competitive, but I run similar or better times to them most days unless the true pros are on the course...

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
No, no Mag ride..

Stock suspension with a decent alignment currently... If I go to coilovers, it mucks up all my current classes for autocross in the 2 series I run with...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
If your goal is to autocross, stick with the Vette. Most courses are smaller and tight (intentional and by design), which by default caters to lighter, more nimble vehicles. Since you've already been running events you should already be well aware that horsepower most certainly does NOT rule the game in autocrossing.

Will a GT500 be fun? Sure. I autocrossed my 2003 Cobra for several years and had a ball. That was back when 3600lb cars were "fat pigs", lol. Still, if you care about being the top of the food chain it's going to take more work to make the GT500 competitive than the vette. I ran the Cobra because that's the car I enjoy, and how I placed was irrelevant. If that's not you, stick to what ya got.

steeltoe

Established Member
No, no Mag ride..

Stock suspension with a decent alignment currently... If I go to coilovers, it mucks up all my current classes for autocross in the 2 series I run with...

Even without the Mag Ride the Z16GS/Z51 cars are built to carter to autocross. Hence why they get different trans ratios and rear gears and a different suspension. You're better off with the Vette

Users who are viewing this thread