'13-14 GT500 for daily driver?

delvek

Established Member
and really this is why I said above that I dont dd my Shelby because its really a place of enjoyment for me to take it out on weekday nights or for weekends, if I commuted in traffic, etc to and from work I wouldnt have that sense of enjoyment.

Sometimes I will go a full work week and never start it, then on Saturday morning when I get in and crank it up ... well, yea....

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think when giving advice, we need to be sure to clarify our perspectives. There is a big difference between CAN you dd your GT500 and do you WANT to.

My opinion:

You can easily DD your GT500 and have no problems. I believe its comfortable enough and docile enough. Only reason I would say it couldn't be used as an only car would be if you lived in colder regions where snow/ice was common.

I wouldn't WANT to DD if I had a choice. I like to keep it as clean and rock-chip free as possible. I try to avoid getting it in rain, etc. That's a preference though, not a necessity. People may say these cars were meant to be driven and it's a shame to let them sit, but I'm willing to bet I've USED my car at it's limits and intended uses more than the average driver with 10,000+ more miles than me. Most of my miles have been accumulated on some form of track, whether it be drag strip, road course, or autocross. That's the real point of the car: Enjoying the way it performs.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
The wasted miles comment is crazy lol.

You guys act like you only get 50,000 miles and after that the car self distructs or something.

Someone else said something similar but I've heard that not driving your car is like not screwing your girlfriend so she's tighter for the next guy. Out of every 10 of you that say you are going to keep this car forever 1 of you probaby will. But to you guys not driving them thank you ..... I'm glad that when I buy your car used it's tight and I can treat it like the whore it is.

Last edited:

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I dd mine and love it. Always get asked questions and given compliments everywhere I go. Of course, if given a choice I would have another car but for the time being I enjoy riding around in my shelby. 13 with 24000 miles and counting.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
But why buy it if you aren't going to drive it. what do you drive to and from work?

I do drive it just not everyday or at all in the winter.

I bought it because I loved and wanted it. If I could only buy one car this would not be the car I would choose.
Not sure why this is difficult to comprehend. If you want to dd a 13-14 gt500 I salute you. I don't want to.

guarnibl

Established Member
Why buy a $55k car that cant be driven as a DD? Some guys must enjoy throwing away money.

Weekend cars... some people like to have a toy in their garage that they use once a week. Not a waste for those people. I've been doing that for a while... I always daily something that makes sense and doesn't depreciate with mileage as much (i.e., truck for a while.. didn't need it anymore then got a Prius after commute changed).

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
But why buy it if you aren't going to drive it. what do you drive to and from work?

Not daily driving it doesn't mean it isn't getting driven. :idea:

When it's sunny I drive like this…

DSC_2959_zpsf568e249.jpg

[video=vimeo;79466594]http://vimeo.com/79466594[/video]

DSC_0484_zpsa9c8b65d.jpg

When I run out of concrete I drive like this…

DSCF4291_zpsec3183b1.jpg

When it rains I drive like this…

[video]http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v431/lethalchem/Cars/2007%20Toyota%20FJ/DSCF4235_zpsb5632323.mp4[/video]

And when it snows I drive like this…

DSCF3786.jpg

So neither one are officially "daily" drivers, but they both seem to get used fairly well...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cody can't seem to comprehend that some people can drive multiple vehicles for different uses.
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So I moved from VA to CO and my GT500 was on dd status from May to early November. Now I've added a 2014 Taurus SHO as my dd and the Shelby hasn't moved since. I actually enjoy the car much more when I drive it only on nice days and for the sheer enjoyment of driving. It was totally livable as a dd I just hated driving it in traffic or when it rained. IMO, the car is more enjoyable when not daily driven.

But I will say that owning one is better than not owning one. The ideal situation is that it's a weekend toy. I still get all giddy like a little kid whenever I open the garage door and that shiny blue Shelby is sitting there.

shelbysvt

Established Member
I DD'd mine in the rain, snow, and sun. It's perfectly fine as a DD. But don't lower the car, otherwise the ride will be too rough. Also get rid of the good years because they suck. I put MPSS and it made it much smoother. Also getting stuck in heavy traffic is the worst thing ever with that car. So it is doable, but it can sometimes be not very enjoyable.

But ultimately after 1 year I sold my shelby and now I have a 2012 turbo S. It's a much better DD to be quite honest. PDK and AWD. Rides smoother too.

Honestly if I were you, I would get the new shelby gt350 for a DD. With the magnaride and IRS, it will be much better. Or get an auto zo6 stingray. It's pretty much just as impractical, but it will ride smoother, get better gas mileage, look better, and have better performance :).

Last edited:

David Neibert

Established Member

Bought mine because I love the car and knew it would be a long time if ever... before Ford built another car with as much power. Don't daily drive it because I have a couple more high powered cars that I also like to drive, and I also have a company car (2014 Expedition) that I drive most of the time. The thought of driving my GT500 on salt covered wet and slushy streets makes me cringe. If I lived in Florida I'm sure it would get driven a lot more, but I don't so it's sitting in the garage under a cover waiting for nicer weather.

David

Users who are viewing this thread