13-6 air filter re oil

keystonemedical

Established Member
Unfortunately I dont have a answer for you, but I hated re oiling filters back in the day. I just buy dry for everything. Good Luck.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've spent a bit of time looking for a dry blue filter that's compatible with JLT's 127mm CF intake. The closest contenders are aFe's 21-91039 (but I don't want a white filter) and AIRAID's 703-496 (but its dimensions aren't quite right).

In the meantime, I recommend using a minimal amount of oil to prevent fouling the MAF.

keystonemedical

Established Member
I've spent a bit of time looking for a dry blue filter that's compatible with JLT's 127mm CF intake. The closest contenders are aFe's 21-91039 (but I don't want a white filter) and AIRAID's 703-496 (but its dimensions aren't quite right).

In the meantime, I recommend using a minimal amount of oil to prevent fouling the MAF.

When Im ready to put the JLT on , I think Im just going to suck it up and get the white one. I was thinking about putting the JLT blue pre filter cover over it to make me feel all color co ordinated.

keystonemedical

Established Member
Yeah me too, but Im stuck. No cut and dried info on this

Im sure there is tons of YouTube stuff out there giving suggestions on this, but I agree wih Norton, use the minimal amount you need to. I never had luck over the years cleaning and re oiling those things. Before I went dry, I just bought entirely new oiled filters and threw the old one out. May have been a waste, but I felt better knowing I didnt over oil it.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
... I never had luck over the years cleaning and re oiling those things. Before I went dry, I just bought entirely new oiled filters and threw the old one out. May have been a waste, but I felt better knowing I didnt over oil it.
Planning to do the exact same thing until/unless a better option presents itself.

docs03

Established Member
Yeah. Only downside. I'm working on oiling my filter this weekend. Bought a spare one just in case it doesn't go well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fearthesnake

Established Member
Yeah. Only downside. I'm working on oiling my filter this weekend. Bought a spare one just in case it doesn't go well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the dry blue airraid filter now but on my previous Cobras and Shelbys did have the oil based filter. Never had any issue other than getting oil on my hands reinstalling the filter.

It doesnt take much, just LIGHTLY coat and turn the filter while spraying. You can see the oil coating the filter. Basically same idea as spray painting, dont spray to much or too long in same spot or it will run.

Takes very little oil, if you feel you put too much, spray off with air hose from inside of filter to knock off any excess, if your hands are oily( excessively) when you reinstall, too much!

Its simple, you will be fine.

blue 07

Established Member
I've got a JLT Big Air that came with a blue filter, not compatible with your set up ?

IMG_3656.JPG

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I figured it out. I bought the S&B kit, but the trouble was I didn't know which filter came with the 13-6 kit. Turns out its the 5X9. I also was trying to figure out what an inverted stack was. Turns out thats the small filter area at the front of the filter. So a 5X9 uses 87ml of oil on the main section and 7ml on the inverted stack. The instructions for applying it are very good. A bead of oil 1/2" from each end. Done correctly you should use just under half of the oil. Then finish off by running a bead along each pleat (just a gentle squeeze on the bottle). Inverted stack done the same way.

I did it last fall about a month before I put it away and when I pulled it out of storage the filter didn't seem very blue. I know I oiled it after cleaning but I guess I didn't put enough on.

blue 07

Established Member
Unless something's changed, your blue JLT filter requires OILING. While those are compatible, you may have missed the fact that a couple of us are looking for a compatible DRY blue filter.
My bad, sorry

_Satch_

Established Member
I figured it out. I bought the S&B kit, but the trouble was I didn't know which filter came with the 13-6 kit. Turns out its the 5X9. I also was trying to figure out what an inverted stack was. Turns out thats the small filter area at the front of the filter. So a 5X9 uses 87ml of oil on the main section and 7ml on the inverted stack. The instructions for applying it are very good. A bead of oil 1/2" from each end. Done correctly you should use just under half of the oil. Then finish off by running a bead along each pleat (just a gentle squeeze on the bottle). Inverted stack done the same way.

I did it last fall about a month before I put it away and when I pulled it out of storage the filter didn't seem very blue. I know I oiled it after cleaning but I guess I didn't put enough on.

I bought/installed a factory oiled S & B blue filter on my Gimmie 5 intake last summer, and it was considerably lighter than what it was new when I got the car out this month... so maybe you put on the correct amount of oil after all?
-Satch

Users who are viewing this thread