13' Track Pack 45k miles loud rear end noise.

Franks5.0

Bought my 13 track pack a few months ago and have been hearing an unbearable noise coming from the rear more so when holding speed. Brought it to a dealer they replaced the every component in the diff, even drive shaft and an axle because they thought it was bent. Wasn't fixed. Brought it to another still couldn't fix it after 6 weeks. 4 ring and pinions later nothing. Are all 3.73 that bad? Or could it be something else? Any info will help. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
I'm on my 3rd set. Factory setup lasted about 8500 miles then the whining became unbearable. Took it in to the dealer and replaced under warranty, second setup lasted about 1200 miles then same problem. Went to a driveline shop and have my current set in, with motorsport r&p and tighter backlash. Flawless and super quiet. For the record my first 2 sets were babied.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Franks5.0

Bought my 13 track pack a few months ago and have been hearing an unbearable noise coming from the rear more so when holding speed. Brought it to a dealer they replaced the every component in the diff, even drive shaft and an axle because they thought it was bent. Wasn't fixed. Brought it to another still couldn't fix it after 6 weeks. 4 ring and pinions later nothing. Are all 3.73 that bad? Or could it be something else? Any info will help. Thanks!

The previous owner bought it as a mid life crisis car. Not saying that he didn't beat on it. But the car fax was very detailed about services. I'm on my 5th set including the original one from the factory and the noise is still un bearable. Car is still under warranty, so it's nothing out of poket yet. Just hoping it makes the drive to mustang week and back.

Also I was looking at the report from the former dealer and they said they saw a variance in backlash between .004-.010 and then they set the new one to .008. Is that to much or to little?

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
I'm not positive but I think mine was set to .005 and like I said it's been very quiet so far with about 2,500 miles on it and a about a dozen passes at the track with a sticky tire. The previous factory setup and dealer replacement did not see anything other than some occasional spirited cruising with the factory radials. The shop I went to suggested the factory backlash was way to loose to last.

Sent from my SM-T817W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

paulyboy928

Established Member
There's no way I'd be on my 5th set of 3.73s. I think after the 3rd set I'd switch them out for a different ratio.

96gt02

Established Member
my 13 TP with 3.73s has always whined at around 2000 rpm under accel only. At first I care but then got used to it and once I did my exhaust I couldnt hear it anymore anyway until I did the upper control arm with amplified the noise x10 to where I hear it over the exhaust but fortunately it just a very small RPM range that im never in for too long.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mine whines, but not enough to concern me, wasn't noticeable till I installed BMR panhard bar with spherical rod ends, panhard brace. The stock panhard bar is filled with sand to dampen vibration/noise. Think those aftermarket pieces definitely amplified it. I also put the axle dampers/weights back on the car and it brought the noise down some.

Franks5.0

So I brought the car to Tasca mod shop at my local ford dealer, and come to find out, the car has bmr upper and lower control arms which as you guys have said affect the noise. The performance tech told me the noise is louder than he would like to hear but he can try and fix that. So the gears and everything is just fine it's just the aftermarket parts that make a big difference. Sad to say that 4 dealerships later he was the one that saw and noticed the numerous aftermarket parts on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Franks5.0

Just did almost 1000 miles down to mustang week, noise and all, and he was right no issues with the diff.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread