'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I know this was a topic of interest here, so I wanted to leave some information on the subject. I just watched the M4 head to head. With the carbon ceramic brakes option and an $85,000 sticker, the M4 outran the Mustang GT PP on the road course by a whopping .59 of a second on the same track and with Randy Pobst driving. Add into that the frail nature of a track-worked BMW, and I'll take the Mustang.

I think it is safe to say that a large % of BMW owners will not ever track their car..

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I realize that, especially a brand new model. The comparison was mentioned multiple times though, so I brought it up.

04nccobra

Established Member
Regardless, I will be getting a base. It won't be hard to find even if they don't have many on the lot at the time. I agree that a lot of people want options. My argument was just that you don't have to have them, and a $38k 1LE package is for a base car too, options on that are going to put you over $40k easily. So my point was a Mustang is not really any more expensive than the previous model and it's cheaper than the competition. And you can get a base. If they don't have a lot in my area I can wait for a dealer trade or special order. No big deal. If I'm dropping $30k I can wait a bit for the car I want.

Make sure you really want a base. When I purchased my 2012 GT I wanted the base model to save a little coin. A week after driving the car I wish I would have stepped up to the premium and options. The seats were awful, trim was bad, radio not very good, and while the car's exterior looked great the interior looked and felt cheap. Made the same mistake with my new Dodge Ram, went for the base model now I find myself driving long distances for jobs and wish I would have spent a few more dollars on upgrades.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I have a base and I like it. Not my DD now, but it was for a year. The 2015 base is supposed to be a good bit nicer too.

Voltwings

Established Member
Wow. The camaro had a commanding lead, no doubt about that, but 6/10ths is almost a drivers race. I'd bet he could run that race 10 times and end up with a different winner each time, that is impressive.

Now, to be fair... We've complained that the mustang tested was a fully loaded premium version, and just a base model with the PP would likely be faster. I believe we owe the BMW that same respect, was it loaded to the brim as well? Credit where its due though, that is very impressive on the Mustang's behalf, but theres still a lot of variables.

Branhammer

Established Member
Make sure you really want a base. When I purchased my 2012 GT I wanted the base model to save a little coin. A week after driving the car I wish I would have stepped up to the premium and options. The seats were awful, trim was bad, radio not very good, and while the car's exterior looked great the interior looked and felt cheap. Made the same mistake with my new Dodge Ram, went for the base model now I find myself driving long distances for jobs and wish I would have spent a few more dollars on upgrades.

I drive a base 96 GT with 145k miles on it and the original suspension. The 2015 is going to be like stepping up to a Jaguar for me, no matter what trim level it is. Besides, everyone seems to like the stock seats for the most part, and the interior is way better than the 2014.

nicksender

Established Member
I drive a base 96 GT with 145k miles on it and the original suspension. The 2015 is going to be like stepping up to a Jaguar for me, no matter what trim level it is. Besides, everyone seems to like the stock seats for the most part, and the interior is way better than the 2014.

I agree with this sentiment. I'm going from a 2003 Cobra interior to a 2015 base interior, which I've already sat in, and it's far better than what was in any of my old Mustang's.

My daily is a '03 WRX and the interior on that car is spartan to say the least. A base GT will be fine for me!

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
The base '15 GT was nice, just had 3 issues from my vantage point: missing toggle switches, 1" loss in headroom and the base stereo.

• There was a noticeable diff between my 13's Shaker audio and the 15's base. If guys are gonna mod it, it's not an issue. But my Stangs stay 100% bone stock, so I need a good stereo from the git go
  • The 1" loss in headroom was not appreciated (I'm 6 ft)
  • The toggle switches are hyped up in every review, would've liked to see them there

But that's me, someone who'd be going from a Prem to a Base to save $$ if he got one. But people coming from older cars will enjoy a treat.

Anyways, good luck to whoever gets an S550 ... whatever the trim level!

olaosunt

Established Member
The base '15 GT was nice, just had 3 issues from my vantage point: missing toggle switches, 1" loss in headroom and the base stereo.

• There was a noticeable diff between my 13's Shaker audio and the 15's base. If guys are gonna mod it, it's not an issue. But my Stangs stay 100% bone stock, so I need a good stereo from the git go
  • The 1" loss in headroom was not appreciated (I'm 6 ft)
  • The toggle switches are hyped up in every review, would've liked to see them there

But that's me, someone who'd be going from a Prem to a Base to save $$ if he got one. But people coming from older cars will enjoy a treat.

Anyways, good luck to whoever gets an S550 ... whatever the trim level!
I initally ordered a premium in guard with PP and recaros.
I then saw a an ecoboost in guard non the lot and was not that impressed while a DIB premium/non recaro/pp looked stunning.
I am partial to blue as I have a 12 in Kona blue and sold my 11GT500 but did not like the DIB on the 2013-2014.
I drove it and it was very nice but after several drives in the premium cars I think the toggles actually look quite cheap.
I was also concerned about the 3.73/torsion diff since it will see the drag strip.The PP also still needs a drop and I don't plan of road racing .
I also plan on FI and had to go down to 3.31 in my 2012 eventually after supercharging.
The day I was to pick it up a base guard with no options arrived- with 6 miles on the odo(the blue had 50)
It looked stunning and when I sat in it I was sold.The Seats were nice and well bolstered .
Interior still looks nice without the cheap looking toggle switches( may be nicer?) and definitely an upgrade over my 12 premium.
Not going to be a daily driver and already have a "luxury"'car in the audi S4
The base is also going to be considerably lighter and best of all at 31 K plus 1k conquest rebate at least 10 K cheaper than the blue one.
10 K buys me a lot of go faster/sound betteer parts I would rather have than leather/recaro/plastic toggles.
Will update with pictures

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
image_zps0f2f075e.jpg

image_zps2ea1c1e7.jpg

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
I initally ordered a premium in guard with PP and recaros.
I then saw a an ecoboost in guard non the lot and was not that impressed while a DIB premium/non recaro/pp looked stunning.
I am partial to blue as I have a 12 in Kona blue and sold my 11GT500 but did not like the DIB on the 2013-2014.
I drove it and it was very nice but after several drives in the premium cars I think the toggles actually look quite cheap.
I was also concerned about the 3.73/torsion diff since it will see the drag strip.The PP also still needs a drop and I don't plan of road racing .
I also plan on FI and had to go down to 3.31 in my 2012 eventually after supercharging.
The day I was to pick it up a base guard with no options arrived- with 6 miles on the odo(the blue had 50)
It looked stunning and when I sat in it I was sold.The Seats were nice and well bolstered .
Interior still looks nice without the cheap looking toggle switches( may be nicer?) and definitely an upgrade over my 12 premium.
Not going to be a daily driver and already have a "luxury"'car in the audi S4
The base is also going to be considerably lighter and best of all at 31 K plus 1k conquest rebate at least 10 K cheaper than the blue one.
10 K buys me a lot of go faster/sound betteer parts I would rather have than leather/recaro/plastic toggles.
Will update with pictures

Well, Recaro's aren't for me. Like most people, I won't be racing my car (maybe a pass or two on the drags, that's it) so I prefer regular seats.
Ford says everything that looks metallic on the interior IS metallic, I just think people have come to expect over the years that everything is fake.
Of the 9 V8 Mustangs I've owned, all but 1 have been daily drivers. My 13 GT is a DD.
I'd like to see the actual weight diff between a base model and a normally optioned Prem, I'd bet it's next to nothing.
Oh well, I'm keeping my 13. Got it for too good a price.
Post your pics when you get 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread