155mph + roush chin splitter = carnage

DaBigBone

Established Member
That sucks. I've had mine up to 120ish many times and never have had an issue with it

jn2

Established Member
That sucks. I've had mine up to 120ish many times and never have had an issue with it

Critical failing point seems to be 140mph+ speeds. I haven't taken mine up that high since putting the Roush on though. Fastest has been maybe 125 or whatever the end of 4th gear at 7800 rpm

vortecd

Established Member
I recently lost mine but not 100% sure how. This was a few weeks ago. I didn't see it until Saturday morning. I made some passes Friday night at the track at over 130 but it was videoed and watching them it is intact. We went to a hangout afterwards and some guys were taking pictures so Saturday night I looked at them and saw it was damaged at that point. So it must have come apart at highway speed on the way to the hangout. It has been on for 3 years with no issues.

I went with a tubular radiator support this year and there are no mounting points for the back of the underneath cover so it was plastic tied in the middle. I think the air going through the grille made it bounce up and down and it ripped it off, this is a guess. The middle of the splitter is eaten away 1 3/4" so it was dragging on the ground. This is how you fix it

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1012847-2013-Roush-chin-splitter-people/page2

The flat stock is bendable to shape it like the front of the car. I bought a new Roush splitter and installed it like the story except I used bolts to mount the flat stock instead of rivets. I also drilled through the splitter to the flat stock in 3 places so the splitter is held on by 3 extra bolts. (if you look at the first pic in the fix story you can see the rivets but they are above the splitter where mine go through it) I used vise grips to hold it together while I drilled the 3 holes then drilled the holes where the mounting tabs broke off and installed the clips

If yours has not broke I would drill 3 or 5 holes between the mounting taps through the splitter up and secure it with bolts. This will make it much stronger and it probably never will come apart

To secure the back of the underneath panel I used the oil filter panel. There are 3 bolts that drop it so you can change the oil filter. I used some of the left over flat stock and made fingers. I cut 2 pieces about 3" long and drilled a hole in each. I put one on each end of the filter cover between the cover and bolt and pointed them towards the front of the car so they are holding the back part of the front cover up since I don't have the 3 mounting holes the factory radiator support has

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
This is a fairly common/known issue with the Roush splitter. It's not really designed well for speeds at or above the stock speed limiter. There are a couple of ways to reinforce it, whether with turnbuckles or a harder and better mounted piece underneath to support it, you definitely need something extra if you're going to go that fast with this splitter.

BLKSUNSHINE13

Established Member
Mine came off at aproximently 80 mph after being installed for 2 years with multiple high speed runs (down in Mexico) under it's belt. Installation followed Roush's instructions closely and with care, but the problem is lack of reinforcement where the mounting hardware attaches to the bumper cover. The bumper cover is just thin plastic and that's all that's holding it in place. In order for the chin spoiler to be durable reinforcement needs to be placed behind the plastic bumper cover attachment points. As previously posted in a detailed post elsewhere by another victim of this situation, I used 3/8's aluminum bar stock bought at the big box hardware store, drilled and riveted in place to correct the damages to my bumper cover caused when the Roush unit gave way, then replaced with a "real splitter" (Ford Racing Boss spoiler) which also replaces the damaged air deflector and is a much more solid unit overall. Prior to installing a Roush splitter I would recommend this enhancement be performed during installation to insure longevity of the unit. Cheers...

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Look into one of these. STILLEN
a7fc5d38dc8649727eebddc6bdd09f86.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mavisky

Established Member
If you can't stand on your splitter, don't run it up over 155 if it's got any size to it at all or it'll rip everything you love about the front of your car clean off with it.

Picture from my buddy who does aero work for WTCC in Japan and Australia.
1401893_10152313923009676_1077504069_o_zpswmk0uvc9.gif

Users who are viewing this thread