'16 Shelby GT350 Tech Package at Watkins Glen International

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Absolutely. The only reason not to get track insurance, in my opinion, is if you have a dedicated track car, you own the car outright, and have the means to replace it.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Hey so I live about 2 hours from the Glen, never been there who can direct me in how to find info when the times are available to the public? I would love to try my '16 350 on this track

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Hey so I live about 2 hours from the Glen, never been there who can direct me in how to find info when the times are available to the public? I would love to try my '16 350 on this track
Take a look at this page: http://www.theglen.com/Track-Info/Facility-Rentals.aspx

It lists all the organizations that have rented out the track and when. You probably want to take a look at the driving school schedule, specifically. I'd suggest checking out those schools' websites and booking through them. The only other option I see, aside from that, is the "Drive the Glen" experience, which is only two laps and limited to 55mph with no passing.

blownstang01

Established Member
Looks like you had a blast! I am scheduled for a track day at the Glen on June 21st. I was looking at the roster and there are already two other GT350's, should be fun. I live only 15 miles from the track and have literally hundreds of miles up there, I also drive solo which is more fun for me as I can try different things on my own. I had several days up there with my '15 GT, and I can't wait to see how the Shelby does, I went up for opening day and even with the choked laps I could feel the difference with the magnaride....can't wait.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
When I was there we had three other GT350s, one in group C, another in group B, and one in my group, group A. Sadly, I barely saw the guy in my group. I just know I passed him once. He had a cooling kit installed on his '16 Tech Package and said he didn't experience overheating anymore.

With all that track time you must be a fairly advanced driver. That's awesome.

Last edited:

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Indeed. I can't wait to go back this fall. Apparently Hooked on Driving will be having a three day event at Watkins Glen. I will have the transmission temperature under control by then, but I'm worried about brake pads. I planned on taking an extra set to change trackside, but apparently changing the front pads requires removing the caliper. I'm nor entirely certain that's something I'd be able to do myself. I'll have to look up some instructions and see how involved that would be.

barstowpo

Established Member
I have a tech, have overheated the trans on the street and track and have purchased the 3195 transmission cooler and trans upgrade but not installed it yet. This kit does not come with a warranty despite being the exact same parts installed on the track pack cars. This also does not address the diff cooling issues at all. To say tech pack owners want something for nothing is ignorant at best. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my car.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
What would you call asking Ford to pay $3k for something you chose not to buy/pay for?

Great if you said, Ford I'll pay the extra 3k bucks like the above member did, and now these parts should be warrantied as if they were oem. I think that is very fair for all parties.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I can see both sides of the argument. Ford's advertising is very misleading. The advertisement says it's the most track capable mustang ever. When I bought my car, they weren't making any statements that excluded the Tech cars. The truth is, I had zero idea that I needed a trans and diff cooler until well after I bought my car. About 2 months into ownership, my owners package showed up and there was one small insert that mentioned it as a recommendation.

Also, the insert says "recommend" not required. That implies that it's not needed.

On the flip side, the other models are more capable, which is why they are more expensive.

I don't know...I my opinion, Ford F'ed up and didn't do their due diligence when it come to "full disclosure" that's why the class action suit is going through. The courts believe owners have standing due to deceptive advertising.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I wouldn't want to deal with the trans swap/upgrade kit or keep a 16 tech car. I would put it up for sale at an attractive price. 90% of buyers have no clue they are different. Then, go buy a 17 model and have it all. The 16s are going to be the least desirable model of the 350s.

Tom

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When I bought my car, they weren't making any statements that excluded the Tech cars. The truth is, I had zero idea that I needed a trans and diff cooler until well after I bought my car. About 2 months into ownership, my owners package showed up and there was one small insert that mentioned it as a recommendation.

Also, the insert says "recommend" not required. That implies that it's not needed.

The GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement was included with all the other manuals when you purchased your car. It is pretty clear about tracking a Tech/Base or a R/Track Pack. From page 25...

GT350.jpg

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Crashspeeder

Established Member
The GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement was included with all the other manuals when you purchased your car. It is pretty clear about tracking a Tech/Base or a R/Track Pack. From page 25...

GT350.jpg

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf
Gentlemen, please. Let's agree to a few things. 1) the cars overheat, 2) the problem was not apparent prior to purchase, 3) the track package was not available in conjunction with the tech package, 4) owners will need to spend money to bring their cars to a level where it won't limp on track (for the record, something I wanted to do but was unable to since the two packages could not coexist) 5) though these things were "recommended" by the manual, they were not available for purchase until very recently 6) the cost of performing the official transmission upgrade is more than the cost of the entire track package if you take labor into account.

If performing the official upgrade isn't covered under warranty then I do see Ford as being in the wrong. Ford didn't do anything legally wrong, but the best way for them to do right by the consumer is to allow us to pay the difference ($5000? $6000?) to fully upgrade our cars to include the track package (spoiler, cooling, and all).

Finally, I really want this thread to be about us enjoying our cars. I could've put up a video of nothing but my car limping around the track, believe me, I have the footage. I chose not to do that. I am focusing on how amazing the car is and giving context for why it wasn't better around the track (because I had to short shift and because I'm a novice). Those reasons are getting rectified through additional cooling and additional track time.

Please, please don't blame the consumer. Maybe somebody wants shit for free, but I am willing to spend (some) money to rectify this on my own and so are others. Just because we feel a little let down by Ford and their decisions doesn't mean we don't love our cars and are looking for a free lunch.

I wouldn't want to deal with the trans swap/upgrade kit or keep a 16 tech car. I would put it up for sale at an attractive price. 90% of buyers have no clue they are different. Then, go buy a 17 model and have it all. The 16s are going to be the least desirable model of the 350s.

Tom
I couldn't care less about desirability. I love this car as a daily driver and as a track car. I'll add a cooling pump for track use and we'll probably be fine. I'm not looking to sell it anytime soon and cars shouldn't be bought expecting any sort of appreciation. These are not made in low enough quantities. I thought they would be, which was why I bought a 2016. I expected them to stop making them in 2016 or 2017. I'm also not looking to take a $10,000 hit and buy a new one. if I had money to throw around, you're right. Maybe others will, or already have. It's not that serious in my mind.

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

GT350.jpg

Dude, with all due respect, you call tell me what I received when I bought my car. Not only was there no supplement, I didn't even get a paper or digital owners manual.

And even if I did get one, it's still disclosed AFTER the purchase and is RECOMMEND, not required.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Gentlemen, please. Let's agree to a few things. 1) the cars overheat, 2) the problem was not apparent prior to purchase, 3) the track package was not available in conjunction with the tech package, 4) owners will need to spend money to bring their cars to a level where it won't limp on track (for the record, something I wanted to do but was unable to since the two packages could not coexist) 5) though these things were "recommended" by the manual, they were not available for purchase until very recently 6) the cost of performing the official transmission upgrade is more than the cost of the entire track package if you take labor into account.

If performing the official upgrade isn't covered under warranty then I do see Ford as being in the wrong. Ford didn't do anything legally wrong, but the best way for them to do right by the consumer is to allow us to pay the difference ($5000? $6000?) to fully upgrade our cars to include the track package (spoiler, cooling, and all).

Finally, I really want this thread to be about us enjoying our cars. I could've put up a video of nothing but my car limping around the track, believe me, I have the footage. I chose not to do that. I am focusing on how amazing the car is and giving context for why it wasn't better around the track (because I had to short shift and because I'm a novice). Those reasons are getting rectified through additional cooling and additional track time.

Please, please don't blame the consumer. Maybe somebody wants shit for free, but I am willing to spend (some) money to rectify this on my own and so are others. Just because we feel a little let down by Ford and their decisions doesn't mean we don't love our cars and are looking for a free lunch.

I couldn't care less about desirability. I love this car as a daily driver and as a track car. I'll add a cooling pump for track use and we'll probably be fine. I'm not looking to sell it anytime soon and cars shouldn't be bought expecting any sort of appreciation. These are not made in low enough quantities. I thought they would be, which was why I bought a 2016. I expected them to stop making them in 2016 or 2017. I'm also not looking to take a $10,000 hit and buy a new one. if I had money to throw around, you're right. Maybe others will, or already have. It's not that serious in my mind.

After I'm done with my track days this season, if I enjoy it, I'm just going to sell mine and buy an R or Track Pack car.

I'm really just testing the waters as to if I am going to enjoy running laps enough for any additional expense.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...though these things were "recommended" by the manual, they were not available for purchase until very recently...

Hardware for transmission and/or axle coolers has been available for decades. This car is no different. What you want is factory integration and it doesn't work that way. Buy a car and then go through the parts department to get an option (better radio, tires, etc) and that part you just changed isn't covered under the factory warranty.

There is no "official" cooling fix from Ford. FRP (a separate entity from Ford Motor Company) offers certain parts that can help but as in the past, you are on your own.

Dude, with all due respect, you call tell me what I received when I bought my car. Not only was there no supplement, I didn't even get a paper or digital owners manual.

And even if I did get one, it's still disclosed AFTER the purchase and is RECOMMEND, not required.

Dude, I figured you'd say you never got it. Apparently there are many Tech Pack owners that, for some strange reason, never got the supplement that comes in a sealed bag along with the owners manual.

I only addressed this specific item and figured that if I did that you would say that "it's still disclosed AFTER the purchase." Ok, fair enough. Let me ask you this....at any time before you purchased your Tech Pack car, did you ever look at the sticker or any dealer related literature to see what your car came equipped with?

I'll assume you did and that your response will be that you never expected that the car could possibly go into limp mode if driven aggressively on the street or track. Those would be your assumptions and not what Ford specifically stated. Just because you or your dealer didn't do their due diligence doesn't make it Ford's fault. Be honest, you knew there was a difference in terms of the car's ability to shed heat under duress if it didn't have certain coolers. You just thought it "wouldn't be that bad."

Did you ever glance at a GT350 brochure while at the dealer? I'll bet the farm you are going to say you didn't. Regardless, notice a major difference between the two option packages and their intent?

2016%20GT350%20dealer%20brochure.jpg

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
@Tob, I'm not even mad about it. I love my Fords... I'll buy more. I'll enjoy what I have while I have them. If this doesn't do what I want, I'll get another one that will. Lesson learned.

I'm not going to debate it anymore. You can post anything you want. Ford participated in bogus advertising and the people have a case or it wouldn't be on a court docket.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

If performing the official upgrade isn't covered under warranty then I do see Ford as being in the wrong. Ford didn't do anything legally wrong, but the best way for them to do right by the consumer is to allow us to pay the difference ($5000? $6000?) to fully upgrade our cars to include the track package (spoiler, cooling, and all.

1. The cars do not overheat. The transition and differential have a sensor to protect them. I'm guessing they can be expensive to replace.

2. Everything was available prior to purchase. If the track pack and R had coolers included you better believe for sustained high speed track use you need them to protect expenses components. See #1.

3. Track package was not available with luxury items that add weight and slow down the car. Think GT3 and Turbo Porsche.
'Wait I thought you are complaining about a sensor that slows down the car. Why is one slow better than the other slow?'

4. Owners of track pack and R had to spend money to make it not limp across track. Your point?

5. Again they were available from the very start of dealer delivery in late 15.

6. It can be. 6500 - 3200 shipped is
3300. At my dealer rate of $139 an hour it would take over 23 hours labor to match cost. But you can always pay more...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lol. This will be the argument for the next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Lol. This will be the argument for the next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When a bone stock 2005 S197 Mustang GT or a bone stock 1989 Miata has better tack stamina then a new "Track-Ready Shelby GT350", it's gonna upset some buyers. And the Fanboys will defend it to the death.

For what it's worth, my GT350 Tech is running fine and getting my ass to work every day. My debate is based on principle. Words have meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread