'16 Shelby GT350 Tech Package at Watkins Glen International

Crashspeeder

Established Member
If this is what this is going to become, keep the thread. I thought I was on SVTPerformance, not Mustang6G. I figured my posts this whole time were fairly fair and balanced, especially given the fact that I'm not opposed to spending money to get this sorted since I was willing to pay for the track package anyway, if only it had been offered with the tech package!

Instead, somehow this turned divisive and even has forum staff being antagonistic. I'm out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When a bone stock 2005 S197 Mustang GT or a bone stock 1989 Miata has better tack stamina then a new "Track-Ready Shelby GT350", it's gonna upset some buyers. And the Fanboys will defend it to the death.

For what it's worth, my GT350 Tech is running fine and getting my ass to work every day. My debate is based on principle. Words have meaning.

A bone stock 2005 S197 Mustang GT, nor a bone stock 1989 Miata has the sensors that put the vehicle into limp mode to protect from overheating.

If they did, they would go into limp mode.

I'm not a fan boy. I had a 2016 Track Pack for 16 miles, decided I didn't enjoy the car, and sold it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When a bone stock 2005 S197 Mustang GT or a bone stock 1989 Miata has better tack stamina then a new "Track-Ready Shelby GT350", it's gonna upset some buyers. And the Fanboys will defend it to the death.

Neither of your examples has the capability to generate nearly as much power (and therefore heat) as your GT350. It really is that simple.

If this is what this is going to become, keep the thread. I thought I was on SVTPerformance, not Mustang6G. I figured my posts this whole time were fairly fair and balanced, especially given the fact that I'm not opposed to spending money to get this sorted since I was willing to pay for the track package anyway, if only it had been offered with the tech package!

Instead, somehow this turned divisive and even has forum staff being antagonistic. I'm out.

Gloves are off. I have responded in kind with tech, directly from Ford and available from either the glovebox or your local Ford dealer. I didn't think crayons were necessary but apparently they are. You think you are a victim of antagonism because somebody countered your opinion with documentation from Ford? Grow a set of what used to be called testicles.

You talk about not being opposed to spending money but when it comes to doing so you have chosen to point the finger and blame. As I said previously, this car isn't somehow different and cooler hardware is readily available as it has been for decades. What you want is factory integration and warranty coverage for parts you chose not to have installed on the vehicle you purchased. Get your Kleenox box ready because it doesn't work that way.

You aren't the only one that went back and forth when deciding if the Track or Tech was right for you. I went in the opposite direction you did and figured it would be easier to upgrade the audio/nav, etc, than it would be to integrate cooler hardware with various control modules. As such, I chose a Track Pack car and then added factory parts (8" screen/navigation) along with a custom harness and you know what? It was easier. And I don't expect the factory to cover those factory parts via the original warranty.

So shit or get off the pot. Or invoke your anti-bullying card and wait for the magic fairy to come to your rescue. Better prepare yourself though, as he/she/it is probably afraid to turn a wrench too.

I'll be here when your self-imposed exile comes to an abrupt halt and are ready to look at this from a technical perspective.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I wouldn't suggest it, but I'd be interested to see if a tuner can turn off the sensors responsible.

That's something to consider. If someone does it, the need to be ready for the responsibility. Me personally, I don't want to asume the risk. It's a lot cheaper to pull in the pits for a few minutes. ;-)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's something to consider. If someone does it, the need to be ready for the responsibility. Me personally, I don't want to asume the risk. It's a lot cheaper to pull in the pits for a few minutes. ;-)

Completely agree lol Was just curious.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You guys are arguing with the wrong guy, and I've seen some flip flopping in this thread. Staff or not, it's what this place is about.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I'm a flip-flopper, but I said up front that I can see both sides. So, I'm debating both sides.

I will say this, I can disagree with someone on a given point and still respect that person. Having a hissy fit like a little kid doesn't solve problems or disagreement.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Great post Tob!

Crash:
You are enjoying your car for what it is and I say great job! It is true you're driving the 350 on track and trying to upgrade to keep on track longer. Well done, most people complaining are not doing either.

However some of your comments are created out of thin air and you are echoing a falsehood to everyone reading your complaints.
fact is you did have a choice in for the 2016 GT350. The choices were to go around the track fast with no let up, or to have the luxuries of a $60k vehicle. You chose the latter. Many many people made the exact same choice as you and are very happy.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...I can disagree with someone on a given point and still respect that person. Having a hissy fit like a little kid doesn't solve problems or disagreement.

Label someone as antagonistic for responding in kind and you reap what you sow. If pointing out facts invokes the need for a safe space - fantastic. Reality isn't about hissy fits but rather accepting it and moving on. And at this point, the only person responsible is the one that signed the purchase agreement and accepted the keys. If you are unwilling to make it work to your satisfaction that's fine. Just keep the finger pointing to yourself.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I don't agree with the lawsuit, and don't think they'll win

Having said that, the mutual exclusive Track/Tech for the non R is one of the most bone headed moves I've ever seen from Ford.

Kept me from even trying to get a car for a couple years.

And I can totally see that someone who isn't on automotive forums might think the "track pack" was for serious track junkies, and not for the occasional once or twice a year event.

Couple that with Ford's typical salesman (sorry 13Cobra, not guys like you), who IMHO
1) would't even know when the track pack was necessary, and
2) Might not want to jeopardize a sale by pointing out that guys who might want to track the car would need it and couldn't get it with the tech pack.

I can see why people are upset.

Further, I can't believe how much changes when you get the track back. On other forums, looking at guys trying to add the diff cooler in a factory manner, is just crazy complicated.

AND, Since supply and demand is such that you still can't just walk into the local dealer and find a car sitting there with the options and colors you want, and buy for a reasonable price, the only viable option of replace it with a '17 is a huge PITA even of you are willing to be separated from your cash.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
And I can totally see that someone who isn't on automotive forums might think the "track pack" was for serious track junkies, and not for the occasional once or twice a year event.

Honestly... this is what happened to me. The way I was looking at it, the R was basically a race car, the Track Pack was for the diehard weekend warrior, and the Base and Tech cars should be fine for a couple of HPDE's a year.

Whether its lack of research on my end, questionable advertising or both, IMHO you can make a Tech or Base car work for HPDE's and open track days by simply not trying to get 30 minutes of constant track time while over 5k rpm the whole time. If it wasn't built for it, what else is there to say?

Again, looking at it from both sides.

barstowpo

Established Member
30 minutes? Try 15. I have the FPP trans and cooler kit and plan to install it soon. I wish I had a warranty like the 17 have with the same parts. I also wish I had a crystal ball and could have seen that Ford would correct their blunder for the 2017 model year. Nevertheless, Ford oversold the capabilities of the 350 and was not clear in much of its advertising to differentiate between the tech and track/r cars.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
30 minutes? Try 15. I have the FPP trans and cooler kit and plan to install it soon. I wish I had a warranty like the 17 have with the same parts. I also wish I had a crystal ball and could have seen that Ford would correct their blunder for the 2017 model year. Nevertheless, Ford oversold the capabilities of the 350 and was not clear in much of its advertising to differentiate between the tech and track/r cars.
That's the thing tho. There is no such thing as being able to survive one or two track days a year. It's either capable of surviving on the track, or it's not. Without any coolers stock on the Tech packs, it's easy (and correct) to assume that it will not survive any real track time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread