1959 Mercedes 190SL Detail

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Just had to post this one. I am ****ing falling in love with these cars with the amount of them I have been doing. These old 190's are awesome!

Another customer of Buds...owner saw the '65 280 I recently did and wanted his done to the same degree. Car was in great shape and a great turn around. Came out real well and paint really glowed after being completed.

This paint was awesome to work with. 1-2 Rounds of 105/300 with the MF Cutting Pads knocked out upwards of 95-100% correction in most areas. Followed up with PO85RD and the trusty Dewalt and really brought the gloss out.

Before pictures when it was dropped off. Was a perfect day outside to really get the befores of the paint too see its condition.

Befores. Car had been repainted years back and still had some of the sanding/DA marks in the paint and a lot of micro marring from either the sanding or buffing after being repainted.

1-7.jpg

2-7.jpg

3-7.jpg

4-7.jpg

5-7.jpg

6-7.jpg

7-7.jpg

8-7.jpg

9-7.jpg

10-7.jpg

11-6.jpg

Interior was going to need some cleaning up...

12-6.jpg

Top was looking a bit discolored and grimy..

13-6.jpg

After getting it inside...washed and clayed. Was able to see a better idea of the paint and get some pictures of it cleaned up prior to any correction work...

14-6.jpg

16-6.jpg

17-6.jpg

18-6.jpg

21-6.jpg

22-6.jpg

23-6.jpg

My test area before...overhead light and LED light...

15-6.jpg

17-6.jpg

18-6.jpg

Half and Half...

20-6.jpg

After...

19-6.jpg

Now onto the top...after washing the grime off the top and before treating it, you can see the amount of stuff that came out of it. Raggtopp Convt Top Cleaner does an awesome job as always.

24-6.jpg

Also with the top, with a car like this you have to release the convt top fully into its storage area so you can work all the way up the edge. Good thing its rather simple with these old cars...lol

Before...

25-6.jpg

Removed...

26-6.jpg

And find things like this. A present from the previous detailer.

27-6.jpg

After finishing buffing...moved too the interior. Seats were pretty bad and took a lot of scrubbing to get years of grime out of them. Back of the seat untouched, bottom cleaned...

28-6.jpg

29-6.jpg

Both sides done...

30-4.jpg

After getting everything done, got some pictures with the top down before I put it up and took it outside for afters...

31-4.jpg

32-4.jpg

33-3.jpg

Now outside into the sun for the afters...

34-3.jpg

35-3.jpg

36-3.jpg

37-2.jpg

38-2.jpg

39-2.jpg

40-2.jpg

41-2.jpg

42-3.jpg

43-2.jpg

44-2.jpg

45-2.jpg

46-1.jpg

47-1.jpg

Now back inside and waiting on the customer. Figured I would get some more afters...

48-1.jpg

49-1.jpg

50-1.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

56.jpg

Shoeman 1

Established Member
To bad you're not close to me I'd have you do my red car!! GREAT JOB on a really cute little car. What products did you use on the seats, they look awesome!!!

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Holy cow what a transformation!! You do great work!!

Thanks.

thats VERY nice, TransAxle. awesome job :beer:

Thanks.

To bad you're not close to me I'd have you do my red car!! GREAT JOB on a really cute little car. What products did you use on the seats, they look awesome!!!

I love bright red colors. They look amazing when detailed correctly. Also this car may be "cute" but shit...I would own one. The more I work on these cars the more I like them.

All I can say is WOW.... I need to learn how to detail like that

Spend a few grand and start doing it full time, with enough determination you will get as good as this within a few years.

Looks Amazing

Thanks.

BAM. Sick job. Love that type of red when it's polished correctly.

Thanks John.

What a classic!!!:pepper:

Thanks.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Such a gorgeous car. Good work.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Absolutely stunning, and very impressive. How many hours do you have into it? and did you go under the hood?
On a side note I had a chance to buy a '59 4-spd off the the original owners widow. It was white with red leather and clearly garage kept. It was at a repair shop in need of new master cylinders on all 4 wheels, she wanted $8000 and I passed. I didn't want to spend the money on the repair and it wasn't enough power for me so I bought a TR6 instead. This was 1999 and I still kick myself. They are beautiful cars.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
great job. Looks beautiful.

Thanks

Such a gorgeous car. Good work.

Thanks

Looks great! What kind of clay do you use?

DI Medium Grade

Absolutely stunning, and very impressive. How many hours do you have into it? and did you go under the hood?
On a side note I had a chance to buy a '59 4-spd off the the original owners widow. It was white with red leather and clearly garage kept. It was at a repair shop in need of new master cylinders on all 4 wheels, she wanted $8000 and I passed. I didn't want to spend the money on the repair and it wasn't enough power for me so I bought a TR6 instead. This was 1999 and I still kick myself. They are beautiful cars.

This one took about a total of 12-14 hours. Also no work under the hood. Just interior, exterior and top.

As for you chance at a '59...you really passed up a deal. Here is a '62 White with Red Interior I did last month that was in pretty rough shape..

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-...sl-roadster-*worse-body-shop-work-ever*.html#

These cars value between $50,000-80,000. So for $8000 you would had a great project too turn a profit on.

Users who are viewing this thread