1968 Style Ram Air Hood Coming!

Lightning Bob

Established Member
I took a trip in the GT500 over to Kendalville, Indiana to meet up with Terry from ProGlass. The purpose of the trip was to test fit his first 1968 style hood on a real GT500. Terry had recently put this particular hood on a black 2005 V6 Mustang with a Shelby nose for display at SEMA last week, but he needed to measure hood clearance to the shelby underhood layout. The other big questions to be answered was would there be enough hood clearance for the new Whipple 3.3 supercharger which is almost 2 inches taller than the Eaton.
The answer to that question is an emphatic YES!
The hood is dual plane and directs air from the front scoops to an opening in the hood just above the airbox.
With an aftermarket semi-enclosed cold air intake system, it will be a piece of cake to make a true ram air system using this hood. There are also rearward facing vents to allow heat out in a similar fashion as on the factory hood. It give the car a real aggressive look, and I can't wait until my hood is done and installed on the car.
Terry is also going to remove the over the hood stripe decals and lay down some painted stripes for me. He previously made the Shaker style hood and painted the Boss style stripes on my Lightning, so I know the quality of his work.
21883-283-3267.jpg

Check out the attached pictures. The hood went over very well at SEMA and Terry will be releasing them for sale in the near future.
100_0870.JPG

100_0869.JPG

100_0872.JPG

Here are some pictures on Terry's 2005 V6. You can see the rear facing vents better than in my pictures and the hood is latched so you can see how well it fits.
By the way, this car is for sale cheap, 9K miles, leather, 5 speed, most other options, Nice tires on 20" Torque Trust Shelby Wheels, with the painted Shelby front end, this hood, and rear Shelby wing $18K. A nice driver which many people at SEMA thought was a real Shelby Mustang. I can get more info if anyone is interested.
shelbyhoodblk2.jpg

shelbyvents.jpg

LB

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
damn, looks good! i never really liked those hoods on the older stangs(looked bloated!) but that looks damn good! they also must do some quality work, because the panel gaps and other stuff look great in those pictures. it looks stock! only thing i would worry about is if it will allow enough air to escape from those rearward vents, pressure building up under the hood is a big problem for the 05+s. in fact, in one of the grand-am races last year one of the stangs lost a hood at around 90-120mph.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
To make a true judgement call, I'd have to see the hood painted to color match the white car and have the stripes on it. I will reserve judgement until then. But the black hood is not my cup of tea. :(

RepoMann

Established Member
I cant say that I like it either. Dream car factory already has this hood out for the GT and I don't like it either. It looks too "need for speed underground" for me. I like the hood on the Shelby GT better than anything right now.....exept for the hood on the origional concept GT500 - which is the best looking by far.

hotrodstang

Established Member
:rockon: I saw the black mustang and really liked the hood. Made the stock Gt500 hood look sort of lame.The fact that the big 3300 whipple fits under it without lowering the motor is a real bonus! My blower is on now: Dude where's my hood??:-D

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The forward scoops seem a bit out of proportion with the car, and interfere with the natural lines a little bit. If they were scaled down about 20% they would look a whole lot better.

-Jeff

MD03SVT

Established Member
Nope doesn't do anything for me , I do however really like the Hood Ford had on the Blue GT500 Roadracer at the SEMA show it is on the cover of the 07 Ford Racing catalog.I asked about it's availability & was told that a present it is not available but could be in the futur.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
The forward scoops seem a bit out of proportion with the car, and interfere with the natural lines a little bit. If they were scaled down about 20% they would look a whole lot better.

-Jeff

The side of the scoops need to line up with the front grill....like every other car :beer: . If this doesnt happen, it looks disproportioned (like it does now).

chuckstang

Established Member
hmm, ya the scoops are a lil too wide, but I hope they build the hood seen on the cover of car&driver mag and the new ford racing catalog.
looks very clean, cool and functional, perhaps too much water will get in the engine bay.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
chuckstang said:
hmm, ya the scoops are a lil too wide, but I hope they build the hood seen on the cover of car&driver mag and the new ford racing catalog.
looks very clean, cool and functional, perhaps too much water will get in the engine bay.

Thats the FR500GT. I also wonder about the water entering the engine compartment but it also looks like alot of hot air could also exit it.:)

Iman01

Established Member
That is awesome. That is almost the hood a GT-500 is supposed to have, just like the 68. I prefer how the 68 scoops were at the very front of the hood... It just makes the front end look tough. Is there something that prevents the scoops form being moved forward a bit more?

68gt3501.jpg

chuckstang

Established Member
Iman01 said:
That is awesome. That is almost the hood a GT-500 is supposed to have, just like the 68. I prefer how the 68 scoops were at the very front of the hood... It just makes the front end look tough. Is there something that prevents the scoops form being moved forward a bit more?

68gt3501.jpg

Well, the nose/hood on the 07 does not slant forward as fas as the originals :( dam crash test standards

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
A little too much.

You don't want it to look like all those camaros running around with giant hoods on them.

Getting a little ricer'ish for me. Keep it clean and understated IMO

Users who are viewing this thread