1969 Camaro Z28 RS Major Detail Job!

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Been a long while since I have posted. Just started recently getting back on this forum. Figured I would throw up a cool detail like some of the jobs I use to post years ago. It may be a Chevy...but who the hell doesnt like a amazingly restored Z28/RS in Hugger Orange?

Owner sought us out to bring his 1969 Z28 RS up to the level, a vehicle of this condition, deserved. Owner wanting a complete show level detail done and every area of the car touched. We stored the car for a month prior to working on it, till we had a complete week open to work on the car. Once started, it was a very long journey that ended with this Camaro looking better than it ever did leaving the show room in May of 1969.

After seeing the car, we decided to go with our Full Correction Package. After doing the full correction and bringing the condition of the vehicle up to better than new, the owner wanted everything coated to help preserve the job and maintain the look for years to come. We coated nearly every inch of this car. From the paint all the way down to the full interior. CQuartz Finest on the paint. CarPro Leather & Vinyl Protectant on the Landow Top and complete interior. CarPro Forte on all the glass. Then finished out with CarPro Dlux on the wheels, caps and beauty rings. We spent nearly 55 hours on the complete job, but once completed, it was well worth it.

Now onto the car... Once we got to start on the car, we pulled it outside into the sun to really see the condition of the paint prior to any work. The paint was in pretty bad shape, but it was simply just a diamond in the rough. As you can see below, the paint was riddled with scratches and holograms from a previous detailer. But improvement was inevitable.

DSC_0185_zpstpgsof1j.jpg

DSC_0151_zpscf2zysup.jpg

DSC_0159_zpskxlswn3b.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsmuyoozyu.jpg

DSC_0172_zpsowuvx1yi.jpg

DSC_0179_zps39acv1i3.jpg

DSC_0191_zpsm2ck8rph.jpg

Once getting the paint cleaned up and stripped, we did our usual testing to see what the potential outcome was and what it would take to get there. With a little bit of light remaining, we tested the paint, then rolled it outside to see the difference it made in the sun. Was enough to show that the condition of the paint underneath all the scratches and swirls was pristine. You can see from multiple angles and left side to right side, a big difference was made.

DSC_0200_zpssjgb5zr2.jpg

DSC_0210_zps5bmjgyzy.jpg

DSC_0214_zpssmgpmcym.jpg

Now, after stripping any fillers on the paint, we did notice that the front end was plagued with hard water spots. These spots were very deep and took many steps of compounding to safely remove. Our LED light stands were able to show us the condition of the paint under low light and the difference it made under the same conditions.

Below is how the paint looked under low light conditions.

DSC_0232_zpsezpvihrr.jpg

DSC_0233_zpsl7zrvlve.jpg

DSC_0234_zpsezzwrj6p.jpg

Now the exact same conditions, but after many stages of compounding. What a difference made.

DSC_0229_zpsv6szeldn.jpg

DSC_0237_zps6crfmill.jpg

DSC_0239_zps2mxls5bs.jpg

DSC_0240_zpsis7ndh8g.jpg

While we had the wheels off and coating them, we went ahead and cleaned the undercarriage. The undercarriage was not in terrible shape, but needed a good wipe down. While under there, we noticed various spots were the undercarriage paint was scraped away. We decided to go ahead and touch those areas up as well.

DSC_0244_zpswtfkyydz.jpg

DSC_0247_zpsncrgsstx.jpg

Same goes for the wheel wells. Did a Suspension Detail on all the wells while each rim/tire were off. Cant have this amazing looking of a car and not had wheel wells to match.

Before:

DSC_0249_zpsvixoh5zb.jpg

After. Even took care of some frame paint as well.

DSC_0251_zpsjv1keexr.jpg

Once finished with all this, we moved onto coating the Landow Vinyl Top. People overlook this a lot and do not give it the protection that it deserves. As you can see in a half and half, the color difference alone that coating it made.

DSC_0257_zpswoirafra.jpg

Now, 55 hours later. The car is complete. We took some shots inside while it was waiting to be picked up from the owner. Couple good shots under low light conditions before really seeing the beauty and difference the vehicle had outside in the sun.

DSC_0003_zpsjkguqrrc.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsjjx8tqtm.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsigsmcian.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsh9pu52cq.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsgafbrqul.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsbow2ejla.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsv3r6n70w.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsmz5uywmp.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsnrbo4ciw.jpg

Now onside in the sun. The level of gloss, shine and depth of color is unreal. The CQuartz Finest makes a tremendous difference, but a lot of that difference is thanks in part to the level of preparation done for the coating. When you want the best for the coating, a great detail is required.

DSC_0362_zpsdix5gnyz.jpg

DSC_0356_zpsphdhkckz.jpg

DSC_0348_zpska8m1oiy.jpg

DSC_0339_zpszoihujcn.jpg

DSC_0333_zpslalryi5x.jpg

DSC_0325_zpse0kjc9ji.jpg

DSC_0308_zpssfhncwer.jpg

DSC_0300_zpsuu2lrh1n.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsp9lvc8e2.jpg

DSC_0285_zpswaznego3.jpg

DSC_0279_zpsrht9x1xe.jpg

DSC_0267_zpsyss5enmc.jpg

With a car like this we had our friend at Chadbee Photography come out and get us some quick shots of the car. Shots came out amazing.

DSC_4882_zpsatxqyhqj.jpg

DSC_4908_zps9lyj1vsk.jpg

DSC_4905_zpsfvyryq0l.jpg

DSC_4903_zpswdnweged.jpg

DSC_4895_zpselskhvuj.jpg

DSC_4893_zpsvbbzvflc.jpg

DSC_4888_zps1twxjlbj.jpg

DSC_4887_zpsanqyzwur.jpg

DSC_4886_zpshiwkvdvc.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
Looks fantastic! :beer:

I may need to come visit you guys. Got 2 black 2015s that could us some work :D

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Excellent work. Car looks just perfect. Can't say much more! Well done!

Thanks

Looks fantastic! :beer:

I may need to come visit you guys. Got 2 black 2015s that could us some work :D

Give us a shout sometimes. We do pretty much everything here. www.shineautosalon.com

Gorgeous!

Thanks

Beautiful!

Thanks

Out freaking standing!

Thanks

Perfect! Nice work!

Thanks

Thanks

va boy

Established Member
Solid work, I know the amount of hours/dedication that is required for the outcome you guys achieved.
Nice end product, what did the owner have to say?

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Solid work, I know the amount of hours/dedication that is required for the outcome you guys achieved.
Nice end product, what did the owner have to say?

Didnt say much. He walked in. Looked at the car. Looked at me. Looked back at the car. Looked back at me. Then gave me a full hug. I mean the type of hug that is cheek to cheek. Took me by surprise, because he isnt a small guy. lol So...pretty sure he was happy.

Users who are viewing this thread