1985 GT build thread.

Coiled03

Established Member
My Dad leaves tomorrow and tonight I was doing some reflection on his time out here. Its times like these I will cherish for the rest of my life. We both worked on the car as hard as we could at all hours of the day. We got irritated with one another, we shared the relief when things went just right. At the end of the day I honestly couldn't have done any of this progress on this car if it wasn't for following his direction over my whole life. Everyone always talks about my attention to detail, thats all because of my Dad. He is the reason I wanted to do this build, a reason for him to come and stay with me for a few weeks and enjoy building it together. I am officially going to wait to fire the car up till he can get back out here so he can do the honors of firing it up for the first time.

That's so awesome. My dad and I did countless projects when I was younger. Nothing this extravagant, but things like swapping heads and cams, installing coil overs, body work, etc.. I feel exactly the same as you. I'll always remember those times as I get older.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That's so awesome. My dad and I did countless projects when I was younger. Nothing this extravagant, but things like swapping heads and cams, installing coil overs, body work, etc.. I feel exactly the same as you. I'll always remember those times as I get older.

That is exactly why my car has so much sentimental value - we worked on I once before back in 2001 but I didn't have the funds to get as deep. We pulled the engine to pain the bay and did a cam and intake etc. I am very lucky he is healthy and at 64 still works circles around me. Its truly a blessing to have him here helping me on this project.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
bad ass ! keep up the great work.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Last night didn't yield a whole lot of progress but I got started on some electrical.

39367331665_83e0838dfa_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I hooked up the battery and confirmed my radio powered on. I wired up the MSD box and coil, just waiting on some relays so I can trigger my ignition power bus bar. Got my ground bus bar wired up too.

I got rid of a lot of wiring - since it was a carb car there wasn't much there to begin with. I removed all my seat belts as Im going with a harness and I think that may have effected the buzzer when keys are in the ignition and the door is open because I no longer have the buzzer sound. Guess im not even mad about it.

nxhappy

Established Member
I would love to buy a foxbody project ..even though my wife would probably shoot me LOL. It's so cool you have the skill and ability to work this hard.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I would love to buy a foxbody project ..even though my wife would probably shoot me LOL. It's so cool you have the skill and ability to work this hard.

Everything I have learned from building an 82 with my dad growing up. He is very particular like I am so that's where I get it from.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Got a few more goodies in today!

Crank pulley spacer.

40248215032_bffb5360ce_b.jpg

I have been going back and forth to the parts store and its becoming a headache. A 69" belt is about 2 inches too long. A 68-9/16ths belt is about an inch too short. What gives???

Radiator dropped in!

38483495410_e8f3e5ab25_b.jpg

Fans look great

40293447151_5d899671d3_b.jpg

Upper hose on 16AN thermostat housing neck, 16AN welded onto radiator. Black braided 16AN hose.

39581867074_600b2d033d_b.jpg
38483495100_caf4580447_b.jpg

I got my lower radiator hose on. The power steering line is way too long, will be getting one made later on after the car is up and running.

40248216172_f9199441dd_b.jpg

Working on some mounting ideas for my power steering cooler.

40248216062_2eb26a7bcb_b.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I am completely dumbfounded here.

I am stuck on serp belts.

Part number K060690 has the following lengths
  • Outside Circumference (In): 69-9/16 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 1767mm
  • Top Width (In): 0.807 Inch
  • Top Width (mm): 20mm
  • Effective Length (In): 69.01 Inch
  • Effective Length (mm): 1753mm
40265169612_0548d48e31_b.jpg

As you can see its a bit short.

Next is part number K060695 and has the following lengths

• Outside Circumference (In): 69-7/8 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 1777mm
  • Effective Length (In): 69.38 Inch
  • Effective Length (mm): 1762mm
39412984775_224afc61ef_b.jpg

As you can see, a mile long. How can two belts so close to one another be so far off?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I am completely dumbfounded here.

I am stuck on serp belts.

Part number K060690 has the following lengths
  • Outside Circumference (In): 69-9/16 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 1767mm
  • Effective Length (In): 69.01 Inch
  • Effective Length (mm): 1753mm
View attachment 1466437Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

As you can see its a bit short.

Next is part number K060695 and has the following lengths

• Outside Circumference (In): 69-7/8 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 1777mm
  • Effective Length (In): 69.38 Inch
  • Effective Length (mm): 1762mm
View attachment 1466438Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

As you can see, a mile long. How can two belts so close to one another be so far off?

Cancel that..... I am an idiot. I was routing the belt incorrectly.... I got it to fit now!

TxCobra76

Established Member
Great build bud! I’m helping my stepson build his 86 hatch right now. Theirs a lot of pride that a father has for his son when he sees what he can do. I’m sure your dad enjoys it as much as you do. I know I do. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Great build bud! I’m helping my stepson build his 86 hatch right now. Theirs a lot of pride that a father has for his son when he sees what he can do. I’m sure your dad enjoys it as much as you do. I know I do. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Im sure he is as well.

Users who are viewing this thread