1985 GT build thread.

Rare40th

Established Member
Looks absolutely perfect @suicidekings that engine bay is something else and it sounds mean as hell. I bet your neighbors really love you.... lol.
Did you resolve the issue with the fuel leak?
Glad to hear the AF gauge was an easy fix

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Looks absolutely perfect @suicidekings that engine bay is something else and it sounds mean as hell. I bet your neighbors really love you.... lol.
Did you resolve the issue with the fuel leak?
Glad to hear the AF gauge was an easy fix

Thanks, I appreciate that!

There are about 5 or 6 that have all given me the thumbs up and love the car each time I start it but yeah, there are the grumps too lol.

I was able to drop the tank and remove the fuel hat and lay some rtv on the bottom side where the mounting ring has a gap around the tank lip. The rtv doesn't come into contact with the fuel here so it should do its job of sealing. I retorqued the bolts too after resetting the rubber seal. I have yet to fill it all the way up but so far no leaks.

And yeah, I was stressing the AF gauge. I am going to rely on that to do some further fine tuning to the carb.

331 LX

Established Member
Thanks, I appreciate that!

There are about 5 or 6 that have all given me the thumbs up and love the car each time I start it but yeah, there are the grumps too lol.

I was able to drop the tank and remove the fuel hat and lay some rtv on the bottom side where the mounting ring has a gap around the tank lip. The rtv doesn't come into contact with the fuel here so it should do its job of sealing. I retorqued the bolts too after resetting the rubber seal. I have yet to fill it all the way up but so far no leaks.

And yeah, I was stressing the AF gauge. I am going to rely on that to do some further fine tuning to the carb.

Nice.

Good luck on your trip and on the exhaust. I wish I had the time/patience to do my engine bay like yours. Sometime I will clean mine up though.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Nice.

Good luck on your trip and on the exhaust. I wish I had the time/patience to do my engine bay like yours. Sometime I will clean mine up though.

Thanks appreciate it! I originally wasn't going to do the engine and the bay... but I figured, it was already down might as well.

Good news today, the gauge panel was shipped out today and shows an expected transit time of 1-2 days so that's an added bonus! Also my trailer I ordered is ready for pickup tomorrow. Pretty excited about that.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well, Florida 50 came through clutch and overnighted the gauge bezel. Piece is really clean however I had to trim the shit out of the factory dash. I knew I was going to have to but this was some serious cutting and hacking.

I chose to get a red warning light im going to use for a shift light. turn signals and high beam indicator. Super nice brushed aluminum.

26213591147_558f088055_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The texture matches really well too.

40191108275_de70a61b27_k.jpg

41041766352_245c0272c2_k.jpg
41041766192_4a5fe84a88_k.jpg
41041765942_d5906ed0d2_k.jpg
26213589357_f20b45b18a_k.jpg

In other news, I picked up a dirt cheap trailer brand new. I originally wanted an enclosed trailer however I couldn't justify spending 7k to just sit and not be used much. Ended up getting this thing for a steal. $2550, 2700 after lifetime perm plates and taxes and fees etc etc etc.

39275859710_aae2c801b2_k.jpg
27212388298_409cc42fad_k.jpg

This weekend I will fit the car on the trailer, strap it down and then cut my straps to length so I don't have excess. I plan to extend my 5' ramps to 8' and put some grip tape down so the tires don't want to spin if it ever gets wet.

Future plans will be to make a rock guard for the front, add a box up front for a battery and winch to be housed in as well as misc other junk.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Had 2011 gtcs come over today and help me out with loading the car onto my trailer. He took this little video of the car firing up.

Watching this video makes me realize how far this car has come... all built out of my little 2 car garage... what a ride it has been.

The car is on the trailer and all ready to go get the exhaust fabbed up!

41168287721_d9686d7bcc_k.jpg

This is going to be a super long week!!

MG0h3

Established Member
That’s awesome you had a member come over.

Passed a 13/14 500 earlier today. Stopped at the gas station and I come out and there he is parked next to my car. Went and talked to him and he was out data logging. Had my SVTP performance shirt on and sure enough, he’s a member lol.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That’s awesome you had a member come over.

Passed a 13/14 500 earlier today. Stopped at the gas station and I come out and there he is parked next to my car. Went and talked to him and he was out data logging. Had my SVTP performance shirt on and sure enough, he’s a member lol.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Ive known Steve for several years but with my car being down its been a while since we have hung out regularly. I have another very good friend that I have met through here as well. Always cool when it works out like that.

Had a good time today. The car sounds so nasty in person.

Same here man. Thanks again for the hand loading the car.

Silver95

Established Member
Just wondering what you did with your alternator and waterpump in terms of a finish?

I’m debating on getting a black alternator from LMR but then again my intake and valve covers from trickflow will be black and I’m thinking ehhh.....might be a bit too much black going on there. So maybe I’ll powder coat the wp and alt in silver and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Wow the car is looking great!

My trailer is similar to yours and I ended up buying some heavy equipment ramps. I think they are about 6’6” long and weigh at least 75 pounds each. Even my ‘14 GT at stock ride height would scrape using the short 5’ ramps that came with my used trailer. The heavy ramps are a pain because they don’t store under the trailer, but now even my ‘66 coupe (much less ground clearance than my ‘14) clears without scraping.

Have you thought about a winch? A buddy fabbed a receiver mount that lets me quickly mount it to my trailer when I need it, and remove it for safe dry storage.

Good luck wrapping up the build!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Just wondering what you did with your alternator and waterpump in terms of a finish?

I’m debating on getting a black alternator from LMR but then again my intake and valve covers from trickflow will be black and I’m thinking ehhh.....might be a bit too much black going on there. So maybe I’ll powder coat the wp and alt in silver and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alt and WP are standard finish. The Alt may be taken apart this summer and powder coated black to match the rest of the stuff.

Wow the car is looking great!

My trailer is similar to yours and I ended up buying some heavy equipment ramps. I think they are about 6’6” long and weigh at least 75 pounds each. Even my ‘14 GT at stock ride height would scrape using the short 5’ ramps that came with my used trailer. The heavy ramps are a pain because they don’t store under the trailer, but now even my ‘66 coupe (much less ground clearance than my ‘14) clears without scraping.

Have you thought about a winch? A buddy fabbed a receiver mount that lets me quickly mount it to my trailer when I need it, and remove it for safe dry storage.

Good luck wrapping up the build!

So, Im going to end up making ramps that are the same dimensions as these and end up putting a diamond plate sheet on the top then put down grip tape. I hate that the car stops in the dips of the ramp and ends up being a bitch to get out of it.

I am going to end up mounting a box, battery, winch, and making a rock guard so yeah the winch is in the works. I will put in a receiver hitch so I can take the winch off and put it on my truck when I go out camping just in case.

I just read through this entire thread, simply amazing OP. That car sounds SO GOOD.

Thanks for taking the time... I know its super lengthy. Appreciate it man.

Users who are viewing this thread