1991 Chevy Lumina Z34 | Retro Review

olympic

Established Member
Nice looking cars from my high school days. I always thought those hood vents were cool!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My in laws had a z34 when I started dating my wife...fun car to drive...back seat didnt have much room though but I got mine lol

My mother in law killed that car on some black ice

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
These were almost cool back in the day. They even had a 4-door version to compete with the SHO. I do remember Ed Cahill Chevrolet had a 5-spd and it was rare. But if you were really cool you got the Beretta GTU with the Quad-4.

Another neat car from this era. 1990 or 91 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
This gives me visions of Natty Ice, mullets, trailer parks, and domestic violence charges.

giphy.gif

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
These were almost cool back in the day. They even had a 4-door version to compete with the SHO. I do remember Ed Cahill Chevrolet had a 5-spd and it was rare. But if you were really cool you got the Beretta GTU with the Quad-4.

The quad 4 ran ok iirc?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What was the Quad 4?
I had a '94 Beretta Z26 brand new back in the day. Loved that car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Quad 4 was the shit. Great motor right there that was a victim of bad timing since Honda’s VTEC had just come out and completely took the 4 banger world by storm.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Wanted one of those for about a week in high school. Only reason was because my second car was a 91 Beretta GT. Ahh the memories

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Quad 4 was the shit. Great motor right there that was a victim of bad timing since Honda’s VTEC had just come out and completely took the 4 banger world by storm.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

in terms of power, the only engines from that era that honda had that could compete was the H22, the type-r engine didnt hit US soil till '95 and the Quad4 was dead by that point, replaced with the turd TwinCam. none of their other 4 cylinder engines were as powerful. the W41 Quad was making 190hp/160tq in 91, the H22 didnt hit until 93 and made 7hp more.

the W40 calais were running high 14s and the W41 calais ran mid 14s. the beretta gtz and z26 cars ran low 15s due to weight but were better handling. even the heaviest calais with a Quad4 still ran 15.20s on a street tire. pretty much all of the times from magazine recorded from that era are incorrect about their times. go check out the motor trend gtz review, the driver dumps the clutch and smokes the tires completely through first gear.

FYI, the GTU never got the Quad4. they were 88-89 only and got the boat anchor V-6s. they really did have amazing handling packages but the never got an engine that mattered.

ive owned a 90 LO Quad4 Calais, a 90 HO international series calais, a 90 Beretta GTZ, a 92 W41 Achieva SCX, and a 92 HO grand am. the GA had a rebuilt Quad4 with a ton of parts. i never took it to the track but it was fast. the SCX was gutted and had a roll cage, i took it autocrossing for funsies.

the lumina z34 was pretty neat imo if you could get it with the 5speed. it was trash with the auto. i liked the hood vents, lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Right.. so the Honda was superior.

Quad 4 was a bad ass mill. But nothing even remotely close to the technology Honda was bringing to the table at the time.

Also, good thing we’re talking motors only... Let’s not even get into the rest of the car that GM was producing in that era.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A friend of mine had a Lumina Z34 back in the day. Man did he love that car. Decent bang for the buck.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a Quad4 equipped Grand Am once. Timing chain setup was noisy and the engine had a bad secondary vibration. Head gasket became a regular service item. Head eventually cracked which apparently was very common. Ignition system was problematic. The engine eventually had such a bad reputation that they dropped the Quad4 name and just called it "Twin Cam".

Still, Oldsmobile had a good motorsports program back then and you could buy a decent amount of hop-up parts. A good turbo kit would have done wonders.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I had a Quad4 equipped Grand Am once. Timing chain setup was noisy and the engine had a bad secondary vibration. Head gasket became a regular service item. Head eventually cracked which apparently was very common. Ignition system was problematic. The engine eventually had such a bad reputation they eventually dropped the Quad4 name and just called it "Twin Cam".

Still, Oldsmobile had a good motorsports program back then and you could buy a decent amount of hop-up parts. A good turbo kit would have done wonders.

I had a neighbor growing up that had most of the problems you experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread