1992 SHOS

Scottman

Established Member
Are there many major differences between the GEN 2 SHOS (ie...92,93, etc..) ? There is a beautiful looking 1992 MTX in K'zoo up in har and I'm not too familiar with these cars. It has 59,XXX miles and I have heard that the 60 k maintanence is very important for these SHOs. How long do you think I could put it off? Thanks

The BigSHO

Established Member
The 92 sounds sweet, especially if the price is right. The 92 was the last year of MTX only. I'm biased, I own a 92 and it is one of my favorite SHO years. I like the sleeper look of the 92 - no chrome tail pipes or spoiler. From 93 up you get those and I don't think they add much to the SHO, especially the spoiler. The 92 still has the dorky Gen I (89-91) steering wheel with the horn buttons, so the 93-95 have an edge there. The 92 is one of the fastest year SHOs. I think more 92s have broken the 15 second quarter mile mark than any other stock SHOs.

The 60K is a big deal. You can let it go somewhat if the SHO has been well maintained. The Yamaha is an awesome engine but maintenance is a PITA. Many people dump SHOs rather than do the 60K. I do think that the YamaHAMMER should have been designed with a 100K service interval and not the 60K.

All in all, SHOs are unique and are fun to own. They can be EXPENSIVE to own...

92 SHO Black/Black
98.5 CSVT Siver/Blue

Scottman

Established Member
Sohowcome, the price is $7200. Seems a little steep for a 10 year old car but whaddaya do. So would this 60k maintenence run me around a grand or what? I have seen the kits on SHOshop for around $700 i think but I don't think I can do it myself.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by Scottman
Sohowcome, the price is $7200. Seems a little steep for a 10 year old car but whaddaya do. So would this 60k maintenence run me around a grand or what? I have seen the kits on SHOshop for around $700 i think but I don't think I can do it myself.
Shewwwwwwwwwwwww thats a really high price, but it is a low mile vehicle,

I bought mine for significantly less a month ago but it has 132,000 miles, BUT the exterior has ZERO rust.

How are the seats? make sure the lil things in the car are ok, like door lock actuators, windows go up and down, the climate control buttons work, also make sure there is no water pump leak. If you want to know anything about a SHO ask RTStabler51 and WhiteSHO (guy I bougt my '91 from) They are SHO gods :)

BTW BigSHO, Ill have to race you in my late '91 and see who is faster :p :p :p

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
They are out of their minds

Dude:

$7,200.00 for that car is WAAAYYYYYYY out of line. Did you ask them what they're smokin'?? ;-)

I sold my 93 ATX 18 months ago (in excellent shape and low miles to boot) for $4,500.00 to a good friend. It had 80k on the clock and had the 60k service done by Doug at Performance Plus in Madison, WI along with a new water pump and CPS. (it did need tires that is why I reduced the price somewhat)

So, check out Kelly Blue Book kbb.com and see what kind of numbers they are showing. Sometimes you can stretch the 60k service to 80 or 100 depending on how she's running.

Hope this helps

:beer:

Bruce

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
for the mileage that is a decent price. And with that mileage a little old lady probably owned it or another SHO guy, which means it probably wasn't abused. tho on Ebay there is a SCed SHO for around 9k.

but BigSHO hit everything on the head pretty much. 92s also have the Gen I center console. And if your budge doesn't allow for maintenance or repairs, I'd actually advise against getting the car. They are expensive to maintain and repair. Also to find engine parts for.

60k consists of
Timing Belt replacement (can go to 100k on Auto due to 'automatic belt tensioner)
Water Pump & CPS (might as well while its apart, WP usually start leaking around 60-80k and killing the CPS)
Plugs & Wires (tho the wires can go for alot longer)
And most import the Valve Shims need serviced. They are usually within spec but they have a coating on them that wares and if not replaced can flat spot your cams (as mine are on my 90 I noticed when I replaced the VC gasket)

thats it for now, ask more if needed :)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Re: They are out of their minds

I disagree Bruce, but then again its worth to what the person wants and the other person is willing to pay...

Originally posted by ac427cobra
Dude:

$7,200.00 for that car is WAAAYYYYYYY out of line. Did you ask them what they're smokin'?? ;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Checked out KBB

Ok guys, Here is the straight poop directly from KBB web site.

I looked up a "private oarty" sale with the Grand rapids zip code, classified the car in "good" condition (because excellent seemed to be too pristine) and came up with $3,445.00.

Now I agree, if this car was factory perfect, with say 5,000 miles on it, yes, then the sky would be the limit. But that is not the case with this car.

Just my $.02 cents worth!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Re: Checked out KBB

to the average guy agreed. But in the SHO world, I disagree. Especially if you want a low mileage car...they are just not common. But again if looking to finance, guess you'd have to go with that price.....

Originally posted by ac427cobra
Ok guys, Here is the straight poop directly from KBB web site.

I looked up a "private oarty" sale with the Grand rapids zip code, classified the car in "good" condition (because excellent seemed to be too pristine) and came up with $3,445.00.

Now I agree, if this car was factory perfect, with say 5,000 miles on it, yes, then the sky would be the limit. But that is not the case with this car.

Just my $.02 cents worth!

Scottman

Established Member
Yeah...i looked at the NADA price and $7200 was about 2 Grand high. I agree with Ryan though...there aren't many of these cars out there. Although, there just so happens to be another 1992 in K'zoo with around 100k. I just asked if it had the 60k done yet. I still like the CSVT's looks better, but the Yamaha engine seems to last longer.

The BigSHO

Established Member
I think $7200 is high also. At that price you can get a CSVT with close to same miles.

I looked for a lower mileage SHO earlier this year. I found a SHOwroom condition silver 92 with 21K miles. The guy wanted $8800. He was pretty firm. It was mid-February and we were 2000 miles apart - me in Washington state and him in Indiana. He was a trucker and if he would've had a upcoming western load and would ship it, I'd of bought it. We both agreed that it would be an injustice to drive this mint SHO during winter - rock chips, etc would ding it up. So we agreed that we'd be back in touch come April. Unfortunately for me, he sold it the next week. The 92 you're looking at is not as nice as this one. I guarantee it...

So, this summer I started looking again. I found a 95/MTX with 44K miles for ~$7,000. I almost bought it until I found a 98.5 CSVT with 24K miles for ~$8,000.

SHOs are nice and I'm glad I have one. I would try talk the owner down a little. If they won't budge, I'd probably look around more. I'm glad I passed on the 95 SHO and waited for the 98.5 CSVT. But I also wish I could of snagged the 92 Silver SHOwroom SHO. That thing was as close to new as a SHO can get.

92 SHO Black/Black/113K
98.5 CST Silver/Blue/31K

Scottman

Established Member
Holy Shnikes BigSHO, where are you getting these cars? A 1998.5 CSVT with 24k at $8 grand!!!! I wish deals up here were that good. I can't find any year CSVT for under $9500.

Prophet

Established Member
In my area,San Jose cali,92 can be found for 4k or less all stock with 100k,but you can get the same sho with 4 or 5 k in mods between 4k and 6k,you just need to keep your eyes open be patient the deals will pop up.

The BigSHO

Established Member
Got another 92 SHO a couple of weeks ago. Its Red and has Black cloth/leather seats. It only has 50K miles on it... Yippie! Sweet ride and its a keeper...

My old 92 Black/Black leather with 115K is gone soon. My brother is taking it. I'll miss it. I told him that it would remind him of the 69 Torino 428 Cobra Jet I had in High School. He's drueling and wants the SHO. The 428CJ was a fun car too.

The wife also wants me to get rid of the 1998.5 Silver CSVT. I probably will this summer. I'll miss it too. I like the CSVTs, I'm just too big for them (6'5").

Right now we have eight cars for four drivers. We'll be thinning the herd.

2000 Mercury Cougar Black Stock V6/5 speed - wife's pretty kitty
2000 CSVT Red Modded - son's
2000 CSVT Green Stock - daughter's
1998.5 CSVT Silver Stock - mine, will be going
1992 SHO Black Stock - mine, soon gone
1992 SHO Red Stock - mine
1987 Buick Gran National Black - son's, soon to be modded BEAST
2003 Taurus SLO - mine, Company Car

Users who are viewing this thread