1996 COBRA HANGING IDLE

NJCobra96

Established Member
Yup....got it too.....thought it was IAC as well.....check that off...I have it just when AC and Defrost is on.....

JREYNOSO916

Established Member
Yup....got it too.....thought it was IAC as well.....check that off...I have it just when AC and Defrost is on.....

It's bad when my ac/defrost is on ....I just noticed this last weekend cause I just fixed my ac and I rarely even use the defrost

JREYNOSO916

Established Member
Nope I checked the spring on throttle body like dude in post told me to check and I can't figure it out......waiting on a miracle lol

ZeroDCX

Established Member
When you say hanging idle, for how long and at how much RPM?

These cars are designed to idle higher for a couple seconds when coming to a complete stop to prevent the load from the power steering and brakes (hydroboost system) from stalling the car. It should idle up (~1000 RPMs) when coasting and for a couple seconds when coming to a complete stop, then idle down towards ~850-ish RPMs, IIRC.

When the A/C is on, it naturally idles up to compensate for the A/C compressor load as well as the hydroboost system.

Performed any recent work to the car lately? Did you have the car tuned recently?

Did you test for vacuum leaks? Vacuum leaks post MAF on a NA car would cause a lean condition being caught by the O2 sensors, the ECM would then command more fuel by STFT resulting in a higher than normal idle condition. If you could datalog, you would be able to verify this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread