1996 Cobra leaking oil

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
I have a 1996 Mustang Cobra that is leaking oil from under the headers on the drivers side. Not sure exactly where but there is oil all under the headers. It's not coming from the valve covers. I had a mechanic tell me that the head gasket was blown. I just came here to see what everyone else thought.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Is it on the block or on the cylinder head? I don't understand how it would be the head gasket if it's underneath the exhaust manifold. That, to me, would indicate a valve cover gasket.

Is the car exhibiting any other symptoms of a head gasket failure to make your mechanic say that?

Helomech74

Established Member
If a mechanic diagnosed a head gasket by just looking at a puddle of oil and not performing any other diagnosis, then you need to find another mechanic. Is it a leak, a drip, is it pouring out? Both sides of the motor, one side? Is there oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil? Any other info might help.

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
No milky oil, no moisture in the exhaust. There is oil all under the headers on the drivers side. I don't believe it's the valve covers. I've ran my finger around them and can't find anything.

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
It misfires a pretty good bit as well

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 296

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Pressure wash the area down with some degreaser. Once clean it will be easier to observe where its leaking from.

I would suspect its coming from the oil filter housing area or from a cracked oil pressure sensor.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Check your oil cooler during your next oil change. Over time it loosens causing an oil leak when removing an over-tighened oil filter.

fastferndog

Established Member
I have seen head gaskets leak oil, there was a service bulletin back in the day but only common on the 4.6 SOHC. If it misfires then for sure it's your valve cover gasket and the "donuts" for the spark plug access holes. Like mentioned here, pressure wash with " HOT WATER!" And use a good degreaser like simple green. Good luck

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i'm having the exact same issue at the moment. valve cover gasket.

otherwise, it could be your oil cooler that grenaded. the bottom of my motor looked exactly like your pictures when my oil cooler let go. if you manage to take off your oil filter check and see if there's antifreeze leaking where the oil filter would normally be. another indicator would be to check your degas bottle and see if there's any oil in there. that could be another sign your oil cooler is shot.

M9.

i'm having the exact same issue at the moment. valve cover gasket.

otherwise, it could be your oil cooler that grenaded. the bottom of my motor looked exactly like your pictures when my oil cooler let go. if you manage to take off your oil filter check and see if there's antifreeze leaking where the oil filter would normally be. another indicator would be to check your degas bottle and see if there's any oil in there. that could be another sign your oil cooler is shot.

Was the oil leak from the gasket or o-rings?

blwnmstc

Established Member
My car has the same issue but I'm pretty sure mine is the head gasket. Mine has a little bit of oil residue where the head and block meet. Do you have to consistently add oil or coolant?

jgt58

Established Member
Let me know when you diagnose the problem. Mine looks similar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread