1997 cobra overheating

Phillip Scocca

Established Member
97 cobra 95k miles has been overheating on me I feel like I’ve trued everything I put a new water pump , radiator fan, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, I checked the fuses and I’m on my second ccrm, I’ve been burping the system it’s still overheating I’m having no luck with it .

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
1) how are you confirming it's over heating? I would hook up an aftermarket gauge to verify.

2) these cars must be filled and burped from the coolant crossover tube, there is a proper burping procedure to follow and can be found all over the place.

3) did it start out of nowhere or has it always done it?

4) verify that the high speed leg of the fan is working

01yellercobra

Established Member
I suggest getting one of those vacuum coolant fillers. Makes filling these cars up a breeze. No more burping needed.

wirelessguy2005

Established Member
I have often wondered about using one of those vaccum coolant setups on my car and just never tried it, getting ready to install a new motor in the next couple weeks so I may give that a shot.

I suggest getting one of those vacuum coolant fillers. Makes filling these cars up a breeze. No more burping needed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have often wondered about using one of those vaccum coolant setups on my car and just never tried it, getting ready to install a new motor in the next couple weeks so I may give that a shot.
I used it when I swapped the Whipple on. I go from the coolant reservoir and it fills it up no problem.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
drive the car up on ramps and fill....then run...then fill...

I never had to do that, just fill from the crossover. On average it takes me 3 burp/fill cycles to get rid of the air. I use my handheld and let the car get to 210 or so for a couple minutes then shut it down to cool, top off and repeat

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
given the stock design I'm shocked these cars didn't overheat the driver's side head all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread