1997 Cobra Transmission Issues

WebDevCobra97

Established Member
Probably needs a rebuild but I had issue getting into 4th without grinding. Couple months later I stop at a light and try to take it out of 4th, after forcing (lots of force) it out of 4th I continue my drive home. Almost home, I cannot get into 4th or 3rd except after a couple of tries I was able to limp home in 3rd. With the car sitting or started, with or without the clutch engaged, I can not shift into 5th or reverse. My shifter does not even reach right to make a shift into 5th or R.

Stock T45 with 93k, previous owner "said" he put in a stage 2 comp clutch, rest of the car is stock.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

BABVenom98

Established Member
That does not sound like a clutch cable, especially if it's grinding and hard to get into gear and won't go into 5th or R . I bet your 5th and reverse linkage broke, it's common with these T45's.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
My 5th gear commonly grinds, and Im very conscious of it when im shifting into 5th and really take my time with it, yet 75% of the time it grinds....along with the tranny jumping out of 1st and reverse sometimes.....ive always been pointed in the direction of syncros.. dunno if it helps but that's my experience.

luke87gt

Established Member
First make sure that the clutch is grabbing at least 2" off the floor to ensure that it is not the clutch adjustment.

If that's a check, then your transmission needs a rebuild... simple as that.

These types of issues with the T45 are as common as night and day.

I'm going through a problem with 2nd gear grinding now myself.

WebDevCobra97

Established Member
Yeah, my clutch grabs fine. It is just funny how I cannot even move the shifter all the way over to the right to even begin to get into 5th or R. I think I might take the shifter off and see if a bushing might of broken but it sounds like this transmission is probably done for...*sigh* Wonder if I can get away with spending ~1k for transmission plus install. :D

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Yeah, my clutch grabs fine. It is just funny how I cannot even move the shifter all the way over to the right to even begin to get into 5th or R. I think I might take the shifter off and see if a bushing might of broken but it sounds like this transmission is probably done for...*sigh* Wonder if I can get away with spending ~1k for transmission plus install. :D

call zak at thet45source.com , tell him zach told you to and you'd be surprised at what you can get done for less than you thought you would spend/budgeted

WebDevCobra97

Established Member
Will do. I will check it out after work. Company has the site blocked but an old Mustang buddy of mine has that same site in his signature. I have a pro 5.0 shifter for it too just needs to be put on after the rebuild to keep the transmission a happy transmission.

cobra 97

Established Member
man i had the same prob with my 97 cobra..it kept popping out and grinding into 4th i needed a rebuild....

cotchnobra

Established Member
It sound like you have a busted syncro shift key. when they break they can get stuck and cause the trans to get stuck in a gear. quite possibly you could have also a bent linkage and or shit fork. At the very least you will need a 3-4 syncro and shift key. Won't know for sure till it gets opened up.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
My transmission is with Zak Harty with thet45source as we speak. Great communication and great prices. Great turn around time and a nice guy to deal with.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Checked out his site (and others, e.g. Hanlon, Promotion, Keisler)

Are these upgrades worthwhile for a car that will do more open-track events rather that drag strip?

Will it make it more difficult to shift/downshift, etc

Would it be wise to pair a built trans with a softer clutch in my particular case?

OP - sorry for the thread hijack...

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Checked out his site (and others, e.g. Hanlon, Promotion, Keisler)

Are these upgrades worthwhile for a car that will do more open-track events rather that drag strip?

Will it make it more difficult to shift/downshift, etc

Would it be wise to pair a built trans with a softer clutch in my particular case?

OP - sorry for the thread hijack...

I would honestly call Zak from thet45source.com and see what he has to say. I think it's always best for the transmission if a softer clutch is used though. I'd stick with an organic disk. I'm using a stock 03 cobra clutch and they can handle more than enough power and are not harsh engaging.

WebDevCobra97

Established Member
Sorry for late reply. I got some quotes from the company probably going to have a shop do the shipping and install. Asking a couple of people how their transmission are after the t45source got ahold of them.

Users who are viewing this thread