1998 Contour 2.5L Performance Parts HELP!!

TheGimp711

Established Member
Hey guys...a customer of mine has a 98 Contour with a 2.5L V6 with a 5spd trans. He wants to do some mods to it and Im not really sure where to start with this car.
Current Mods: Air Intake
Suspension Kit (Koni)

The car has got 80k on it and runs very well. It has all maintenance done and synthetic fluids ran throughout.

Who makes exhaust for these? headers? throttle bodies? What mods should I look for and what companies do you guys recommend?

Please help!
Thanks,
Evan

Silver Bullet2

Established Member
Hey guys...a customer of mine has a 98 Contour with a 2.5L V6 with a 5spd trans. He wants to do some mods to it and Im not really sure where to start with this car.
Current Mods: Air Intake
Suspension Kit (Koni)

The car has got 80k on it and runs very well. It has all maintenance done and synthetic fluids ran throughout.

Who makes exhaust for these? headers? throttle bodies? What mods should I look for and what companies do you guys recommend?

Please help!
Thanks,
Evan

What is your budget? Hard to advise if we don't know how much money your customer wants to spend?

TheGimp711

Established Member
I would say 2k...Hes not going to go forced induction...hes not going that hardcore...he just wants to make the car fun to drive...

loc0gring0

Established Member
do a 3l swap with headers and a lighten flywheel and ull be good thats the cheapest way to go. flys around 300. headers 250ish and the whole 3l swap about 300 buxs lol

brapple

Established Member
^You are full of ***t and have obviously never done an engine swap.

you need to calm down .... yes headers are about $250 shipped. you can find good 3L's for $300. and if you port them and then just swap and reuse everything its not to much more to get it done. Easier when you have spare parts around. This obviously doesn't include mtx upgrades like would be suggested.

now that isn't how I built mine. I spend near 1k on my 3L but I got all new gaskets, oil pan and various other parts when all said and done.

but +1 on the 3L swap. best bang for the buck.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
you need to calm down .... yes headers are about $250 shipped. you can find good 3L's for $300. and if you port them and then just swap and reuse everything its not to much more to get it done. Easier when you have spare parts around. This obviously doesn't include mtx upgrades like would be suggested.

now that isn't how I built mine. I spend near 1k on my 3L but I got all new gaskets, oil pan and various other parts when all said and done.

but +1 on the 3L swap. best bang for the buck.

Lol, I don't need to calm down, I just don't like when ppl give advice about things they don't have any experience with IRL. Internet racers can screw up people who don't know any better with bad/wrong advice. $300 for the MOTOR yes... not the whole swap. New hardware, gaskets, misc things you break along the way, sensors, sealants etc... It adds up and fast. Figure at LEAST $500 for just the motor swap itself if he can get a motor for $300, re-use most of the parts he already has and that is probably bare bones cheapest.

Plus if he wants to do port matching he has to buy the plates and bits(and air tools if he doesn't have them) and then there is what he'll factor in for a tune to get the whole shebang running right along with an optional injector upgrade. THEN he gets into issues with the already weak diff. having to handle an extra 50 ft lbs so that should get quaifed while out AND a new clutch too. **** adds up fast. If he does the engine swap, quaife, clutch, headers and a tune that'll burn through his $2k just like that but doing things right takes money.

-Fast
-Cheap
-Reliable

You can only have 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread