1999 Mustang GT's

AdamD

Established Member
Hello

i am 15...16 in a few months.i am thinking about buying a 1999 mustang gt.

what do you guys think about em?as far as modifications what should i buy to get the best "bang for your buck" type or mods?

what performance parts should i stay away from??

and as far as exhausts, borla or steeda??I LOVE the sound of the steeda,but the borla exhaust setup is also tempting.

-Adam

ps.im paying for it all on my own..not like some spoiled kid:coolman:

ReducedFat

THE PONTIFICATOR
Established Member
As far as exhaust goes, I believe that the Steeda cat back is just a rebadged Borla system, so just go with what you can find cheaper. Be careful with a powerful RWD V8 as your first car, but as long as you're responsible you'll have tons of fun in it.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Good Luck!!! Gears, cai, mid pipe, cat back, shifter, u/d pullies, would be a good start and wouldn't be too harsh on your wallet. Glad to see another "kid" out of rice,

89stang306

Established Member
And then go for long tubes and timing adjuster. Strap on a set of slicks and have a ball at the track.

MustangFvr

Established Member
99 gt is a good way to go thats what i have, borla exhuast would be better in my opinion, i have borla with x pipes and it sounds awesome, after that go for steeda tri ax shirt shifter, u/d pulleys and steeda timing adjuster.

DJT03GT

Established Member
Cat-back is great you get performance and sound. My second mod was gears, and possibly the one I like best was my Tri-ax shifter, best mod under 200 bucks, IMO.

Daniel

U.S Naval Power
Established Member
Gears. Definately the gears first and its good to know your working for your car man. Hope you get that GT.

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
i dont have a car yet, ill be 17 in april, parents say if i get a job i could finance one :) , im gonna have to do that:beer:

Stanger35thGT

Established Member
yea i just got a 99 GT...ive enjoyed it so far...im also sixteen and am looking for some good "bang for your buck" mods...and yes im working my arse off for it so...

looks like most everyone recommends gears... i was thinkin 3.73s

im also looking for a good exhaust.. this one guy had his flowmaster mufflers for sale for 40 bucks..but they sold too quickly :(

kennym01

Established Member
How does a 16 year afford to buy a mustang gt ? Give me a break, do you mean Mommy and Daddy are buying you a mustang??? Sorry but I have a 16 year old driver as well and unless your getting some help there's no way you can afford the cost maintenance, gas , and insurance without some help...

AdamD

Established Member
Originally posted by kennym01
How does a 16 year afford to buy a mustang gt ? Give me a break, do you mean Mommy and Daddy are buying you a mustang??? Sorry but I have a 16 year old driver as well and unless your getting some help there's no way you can afford the cost maintenance, gas , and insurance without some help...

not here.

I work on dirtbikes. I work at a shop downtown and port motors as well as model rc planes. fully porting a cylinder,cases,piston, and add ons cost as much as 500 bucks.thats in my spair time doing that, now i work at safeway. I already have 11,000 for a car, im probobly going with a 1992 mustang gt though.I pay for the car,gas,and we split the insurance.

hard work pays off though:beer:

kennym01

Established Member
Hey, good for you, it's nice to see a young guy like you working for what you want. I see a lot of parents buying expensive cars for their highschool kids in my neighborhood and the kid's don't have any appreciation for having to work for it. It's one thing having a little help with insurance but when your just handed a car and you don't have to work for it, that's another story. Anyway, good luck finding a car...I live in the S.F. bay area as well and there are a lot of mustangs on the market to choose from.

AdamD

Established Member
here is an updated list.

1. 2001 mustang gt
2.gears. probobly 3.73's
3. cold air intake
4. gt40 heads
5. pro 5.0 shifter
6. vortech supercharger
7. vortech intercooler
8. pulleys.hmm i dont know which kind.ideas?
9. exhaust. still dont know which kind to get.probobly bassani.
10. diablo racing chip
11. saleen wheels and tires
12. headers

I am paying for all of that. going to work at safeway over the summer, 6 out of 7 days, then when school starts back up i will work 4 hours a day and then all day saturday.10 bucks an hour is pretty good.

how do you like that gt setup?anyone know what kinda hp i should be getting around? and about the pulleys and exhaust, any reccomendations?i kinda wanna run a H pipe cuz of the sound, but whatever.any websites that sell mustang exhausts would be nice.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
No such thing as GT-40 heads for a modular motor buddy. Only aftermarket heads so far are made by ford motorsport and you have to switch out your intake manifold to coincidently, a ford motorsport intake which is expensive as crap. You're better off having stock heads ported and buying a C&L upper plenum. That list you described there is probably $30,000 or so. You can't make that working over the summer.

My advice is if you want a fast car, get a fox body 5.0 with stock forged pistons, put some gears and a big shot of nitrous through it. On slicks you'll be running easy 11's. Which is faster then what you'd be running with all that stuff you listed above.

Basically, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Worry about school and your future before you spend your life savings on a car.

AdamD

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
. That list you described there is probably $30,000 or so. You can't make that working over the summer.

umm.wherd you get that from?30k?

headers-350
vtech upercharger and intercooler-4400
cai-140
pro 5.0 shifter-200
exhaust-700
gears-230
racing chip-600 i think

not gonno bother with rims and tires for now.

I am still thinking about fox bodies now though. I already have 3500 so i think working over the summer i can get a 93 gt.

bloodhound248

Classic Muscle Car Guru
Established Member
EDIT: My bad man, I didn't notice you have 11 grand towards the car.

Just a question, but why did you say you have 11 grand, than you said you have 3500 (when you said you would get a 93 gt) .:bored:

Im only 16 as well (gonna be 17 very soon) and I'm gonna go for a fox body. I've been working my ass off 4 days a week (during school days) in a catering restaurant washing dishes in the back for minimum wage. I do this while maintaining an 89% overall average in school.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it kinda sounds like your 'rents are just gonna contribute big time to this thing and you just have mod money. Hey, if I'm wrong, thats awesome :coolman:

Best thing is if your not lying, were 2 kids who love mustangs and are working hard to get one

Last edited:

AdamD

Established Member
Originally posted by bloodhound248
EDIT: My bad man, I didn't notice you have 11 grand towards the car.

Just a question, but why did you say you have 11 grand, than you said you have 3500 (when you said you would get a 93 gt) .:bored:

Im only 16 as well (gonna be 17 very soon) and I'm gonna go for a fox body. I've been working my ass off 4 days a week (during school days) in a catering restaurant washing dishes in the back for minimum wage. I do this while maintaining an 89% overall average in school.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it kinda sounds like your 'rents are just gonna contribute big time to this thing and you just have mod money. Hey, if I'm wrong, thats awesome :coolman:

Best thing is if your not lying, were 2 kids who love mustangs and are working hard to get one

my bad. I have 3500 now, by the time i work at safeway all summer and keep on working on all of the dirtbikes i will have close to 11 grand. My dad may chip in a little but thats all.

I may get a fox body just becuase theyr cheep and can be made fast with not alot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread