1st mod

PhknPst OJ

Its party time!!!
Established Member
I have just recently purchased my 04 cobra days ago and am ready to start the mods. The best bang for the buck would be to re-flash or burn a new computer for the car but that would void the warrenty and that is out of the question. I am already scheduled for a cat back exhaust on friday as that is "reasonibly" inexpensive. I own a 1991 5.0 lx as well. With that car i went with mostly suspension upgrades (all maximum motorsports) and a couple of other small mods k&n, exhaust, shortthrow shifter etc..........Some parts from maximum motorsports would be great and are planned in the future but for now (as if 390 isent enough) I am looking for more power. I was thinking about going with a k&n filter system and or supercharger pulleys. I am very glad to finally be welcome in these formus now that i have an SVT, one I am quite fond of infact. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreicated!!!

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Before the search police some in, I'll just say it. Use the SEARCH button. There is soooo much good info on this exact topic as it has been brought up about 437 million times. I use the search all the time and you would be suprised how much it helps.

But to just answer your question, get a cold air kit(K&N or JLT), catback and midpipe of your choice. Those are the 3 items I would start out with(and did). Then I would do the head cooling mod(LDC chicago cooling mod) b/c these cars NEED it and its worth every penny and time spent putting it in cause it could save you some trouble and money down the road. Why? Just SEARCH and you will have all your questions answered about it!

Then you can start thinkin about what you want to do next after all that. Good luck and welcome to the site. Oh yeah, SEARCH :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I second the recommendation to use the Search option. You'll be rewarded with a ton of good info.

Sounds like you don't want to spend a lot of money and don't want to endanger your warrantee. So my list would be as follows.

1. Steeda (which I used and loved), JLT or K&N intake.
2. Catback of your choice. I'd recommend keeping the stock midpipe for now. You're not going to see a big power difference and swapping cats might become a warrantee issue. I would do the midpipe later on. But that's just my own opinion.
3. An aftermarket shifter. No power gain but the stock shifter is, well, not one of the car's strong points. MGW seems to be the best choice.
4. Forget a smaller pulley since you don't want to mess with a tune and risk voiding your warrantee. You will need a re-tune with pretty much all of the smaller pullies. Either the pulley or tune can endanger the warrantee.

Depending on your base power (average is around 365rwhp) an intake and catback should get you to 390-410rwhp. Maybe even 420 if you're one of the fortunate ones that have one of the higher powered stock motors (380-395rwhp). Hopefully you can be happy there. Otherwise you're only months/weeks/days away from going full speed ahead with your mods. It's so hard not to because for a minimal outlay of cash you can get 450+rwhp. Add porting your blower and you're knocking on the door of 500rwhp. Have fun! And good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread