1st Oil change

pga4trp

Established Member
:rollseyes
I just passed the 2000 mile point and I want to go ahead and change my oil and filter. Looking for recommendations on brand of oil and type of filter? Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Regular oil changes is the most important factor in my opinion. I used Mobil 1 exclusively in my Callaway Camaro and still changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I was told by more than one person that I was wasting my money. The engine would have done quite well on non-synthetic oil at the same change interval. What will I use on my Cobra when it arrives? Probably Mobil 1! Call me silly (again)!

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
This forum is absolutely loaded with oil postings, especially from the "master", Cobra03.

Do a search and you'll be reading for hours.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Petzuk
This forum is absolutely loaded with oil postings, especially from the "master", Cobra03.

Do a search and you'll be reading for hours.

Don't forget the apostrophe on Obi Oil Kenobi. It's "Cobra'03" hehehehehe

gary

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Call me cautious, but I take the Cobra back to the dealer for oil changes. Then I hang around the shop ans build relationships with the mechanics and service personnel. With all the potential problems (tick, vibe) I want to be sure the warranty is honored. Ford must have confidence in their oil if they're betting $8,000 engines on it. The old WWII vet who is their car porter treats my car with respect.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
Call me cautious, but I take the Cobra back to the dealer for oil changes. Then I hang around the shop ans build relationships with the mechanics and service personnel. With all the potential problems (tick, vibe) I want to be sure the warranty is honored. Ford must have confidence in their oil if they're betting $8,000 engines on it. The old WWII vet who is their car porter treats my car with respect.

Yes, they have confidence that 5w20 oil will get them past the warranty period and keep the EPA happy - but there is more to life than Ford's happiness - like the long term happiness of our expensive engines. Check out my "expose" of the whole 5w20 issue for some provocative reading.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I just changed my oil slightly before 500 miles to help remove all the metal particles that come off as the engine breaks in...Remember that you engine is still breaking in for at least the first thousand miles...Therefore I recommend using the synthetic blend oil from Motorcraft 5W-20 (until 1k-2k miles)...Then I think it is appropriate to start using synthetic oil...Wallmart has the oil in the Sacramento area for under $2/qt...Ford sells this oil for a lot more maybe upwards of $3/qt...Happy Hunting

Users who are viewing this thread