1st street race with Z06

arizona302

Established Member
I know you all love hearing these stories so I'll share my latest:

I went out for a cruise last night in my 03. Once I got down to the main drag a Z06 pulled up next to me and gave a look. I knew he was looking for a kill so I pulled out of the turning lane and followed. I pulled up aside him and we discussed where to race. We agreed to head down to a well known "safe spot" on the service road of the expressway. I also told him, "I'll be shutting it down at 100 MPH just to be safe." He agreed that was smart. If you get caught around here at 100+ your f*cked. Can you say impound yard!

The 1st run I got WAXED. I tried to slip the clutch but the tires went up in smoke. He got a very good launch. Once I got going he was 2-3 lengths ahead but wasn't making any more separation. I let off at 100. When I pulled up next to him he said that, "I earned his respect." Not sure why because he basically embarrassed me. I told him my launch was absolutely horrible and said, "let's go again." He obliged.

The 2nd run was VERY close. We both bogged slightly off the start. In the 1st 100 feet or so he got slightly ahead of me and thats where he stayed until 100. All I could do was ride his rear quarter panel up to 100. Again that's where I hit the brakes.

If I earned his respect on the 1st run I wonder what was going through his mind after the 2nd run?:beer:

Pyro

Established Member
Nice runs...and good death. Z06's are great cars so keeping up with that one was an accomplishment. What mods do you have AND was he modded?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
The ZO6 launches very easily, so we have to be damn near perfect or the whole run is blown unless you're racing from a roll. From my experience, you should be able to get the jump on him out of the hole, then hope you got ahead enough to stop him from running you down at the end.

arizona302

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Nice runs...and good death. Z06's are great cars so keeping up with that one was an accomplishment. What mods do you have AND was he modded?

All I have is a MAC 2 1/2 CB and a Steeda CAI which is worthless until I get a pulley & tune.

Not sure of his mods.:shrug:

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
Good Runs.
It is true about Z06's launching pretty easily.
My friend's Z06 is super easy to get out of the hole and he always puts a couple of cars on me, but from a roll, it is heads up and whoever gets the jump that wins.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by arizona302
All I have is a MAC 2 1/2 CB and a Steeda CAI which is worthless until I get a pulley & tune.

Not sure of his mods.:shrug:
Why do you say CB and CAI are useless until you get pulley and tune? I'm betting between the two (Not sure about MAC CB so I might be off) you got a nice 30rwhp gain.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Your best bet is to run from a 50 MPH roll or so. I pulled four times on a Z06 this way. Off the line they will murder you though.

Good runs.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Good runs! On the street anything can happen! I have driven both of these cars and the Zo6 is surely easier to launch. It seemed a bit torquier in the low end too. Once the 2 cars get into their power band the Z06 still seems to have a little more pull. Then again I drove an 03 Cobra vert with somebody in it and the Z06 by myself. I'll bet they are very close in the mid range mph but the Z06 has more low due to launchability and better aerodynamics up high.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
:thumbsup: Way to have the sack to try!

I guy I slightly know has a 03 Z06 in town.
I think he sucks at driving, he looks like the type.

I want to meet him bad after I break 1000 miles.

If not a win, I know Ill get a hats off.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Good runs! On the street anything can happen! I have driven both of these cars and the Zo6 is surely easier to launch. It seemed a bit torquier in the low end too. Once the 2 cars get into their power band the Z06 still seems to have a little more pull. Then again I drove an 03 Cobra vert with somebody in it and the Z06 by myself. I'll bet they are very close in the mid range mph but the Z06 has more low due to launchability and better aerodynamics up high.

I don't think you drove it properly, the cobra has a ton more torque down low. I see the Zo6 pulling up higher. You're probably basing your statement on launch difficulty. Get off the line right, and you'll put a car on him by the end of first.

arizona302

Established Member
i was referring to the steeda cai

Originally posted by DSG03Snake
Why do you say CB and CAI are useless until you get pulley and tune? I'm betting between the two (Not sure about MAC CB so I might be off) you got a nice 30rwhp gain.

i know the MAC added a little but the steeda cai is designed for pulley cars, not stock ones. it will pay off when i install the 6 LB lower and diablo

Users who are viewing this thread