1st TIME AT THE TRACK - Alllllrighty then!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Went to Crapitol Raceway:

Set up:

Spare & Jack removed
Tires at 32
Fresh Mobile1 5W-30
820 miles on car
90F and MUGGY

What I did:

Launched at about 2000 RPMs
Lots of wheel spin off the line
Spinning when I hit 2nd
Almost missed 3rd (slow shift)
Closing in on redline at the end of the track so I shifted to 4th (another bad shift)
Shifted around 6500 RPM at least each time.

THE STATS:

R/T -1.030
60' - 2.255
330 - 5.950
1/8 - 8.892
MPH - 83.47
1000 - 11.402
1/4 - 13.541
MPH - 104.19

I beat the SS next to me. He did a 13.880 @ 101.18

A C5 was doing 13.7's at 108 to 110...

THAT WAS UGLY!!! I only did 1 run cause I forgot helmet.

1. I cant drive.
2. HOT air sucked.
3. I cant drive.
4. Next time bringing helmet.
5. Next time going to MIR where the track is better - less spin.

I did have a good time though. I sat back and watched some of the other cars run. One SS got into the 12's... He had small front tires. The C5 had at least some K&N's...

VERY VERY disapointed in my times. I think if I got used to the car some and the temps where cooler I could prolly do at least a 12.6-7 or so...

Anyone know how to laucch these cars? I am used to auto's... Should I have hit 4th?

:gt: :cuss: :shrug: :cryying:

i8u

Established Member
Practice makes perfect. You will get better! Enjoy and good luck.:beer:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I was maybe a couple hundred feet above sea level! Most areas around DC are at or slightly above sea level.

Practice huh? First I have to get my confidence back. I wish someone would analyze my stats and perhaps tell me how to get a good hole-shot on a 6 speed and with this car.

At MIR I have had good and bad conditions BUT I have been able to floor it off the line and really stick hard. There was NO STICK at this tack. And whats up WITH THE DUDE SPRAYING THE WATER??? I thought you were not supposed to get water on our tires and that radials work best cold??

1. No water.
2. no burn out (radials work best cold).
3. Lower tires to about 25-28 lbs

Am I retarted or why where all these guys doing burn-outs on radials?

STILL RED!

Hammer

Established Member
You don't need to be at the track to practice your launching. If you can get it to jump on the street, you will jump at the track.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
And whats up WITH THE DUDE SPRAYING THE WATER??? I thought you were not supposed to get water on our tires and that radials work best cold??

are you sure it was water and not traction compound ?
they were probably trying to make their crappy track a little stickier

Last edited:

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Johnny Bravo

are you sure it was water and not traction compound ?
they were probably trying to make their crappy track a little stickier

It's called the waterbox. It is to assist with heating tires.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I made the assumption that he wasn't talking about the waterbox, but the actual lanes.....they DO spray traction compound at some tracks. :coolman:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
I never get water on my tires and I do not heat them up prior to running through the 1/4. This is contrary to everything I know about high performance Z rated tires.

I agree, in that I think water should be avoided when you're running any kind of tread whatsoever because it's isn't going to get out of those grooves completely, no matter how massive the burnout.....as you stage, the moisture is slowly working its way down to the contact patch

Now slicks are a different story....

jtfx6552

Established Member
I thought you were not supposed to get water on our tires and that radials work best cold??

1. No water.
2. no burn out (radials work best cold).
3. Lower tires to about 25-28 lbs

Am I retarted or why where all these guys doing burn-outs on radials?

STILL RED!

Radials work best cold???? Where did you get this tidbit???

I have gotten 1.8X 60 fts on all three tracks local to me (Cecil County, Atco and Maple Grove) all with a "mini" 1st gear burn out.

JT

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I have to agree with EVERYTHING that Tetge says here. I too am fairly conservative...

Everything I've ever read says that radials get better traction the cooler they are...

I could not avoid the water, no where to drive around at this track...

I too gave them a guick spin to wipe the water off, but you still get it inside the fender and dripping down...

I will try a burn out next time, but the F1's arent cheap!!

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge

I do not believe that street practice will necessarily improve your times at the strip.

Hmmm...no way I agree with that! The surface of a race track is different from street surfaces but they are both asphault and have more similarities than they do differences. Practicing launches on the street can only help you with launching at the track. The idea is to get a general feel for where your clutch engages and disengages and learn how to slip it for maximum forward momentum. Practicing that on the street can only improve your experience and understanding at the track.

Just like track conditions vary; so street conditions vary. Again, the idea is to get a general knowledge and feel for racing.

If you wanna get a good ET at the track, you can't be subtle with your car. Since my very first muscle Mustang I have been told to "race it like you are trying to break it". In other words, you can't be afraid to get into her HARD.

If you are only practicing launch techniques at the track, it will take you years to master it.

And as far as drag radials hooking better cold....well, that's just pure BS. ITS RUBBER! Is rubber stickier cold or hot? At some point, common sense has to kick in.

Watch the experts. Ask any NMRA Drag Radial racer. They ROAST those tires. I'll see if I can get Big Daddy here to comment on the subject. He's the record holder and had a big MM&FF cover and feature spread on how he pulled his drag radial car up on the back bumper; with all four tires in the air. I ASSURE YOU, he did not hook like that with cold tires.

Now there is a point when the compound in tires starts to break down from excessive heat. I am sure that the breakdown temperature for street tires is very different from race tires. But a cold tire couldn't possibly hook as well as a warm/hot tire.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I know Drag radial need heat.. DUH! But street radial tires DO NOT! That I am also certain of.

BTW: Exact compund of an F1? I do not know, bit it aint all rubber nor was it built for use at the track (eg burn-outs to make sticky).

There are tires that are built to get better with heat and tires that are meant for all seasons (rain, cold, hot) and to LAST and not break down too fast in these conditions and yet provide some good all around handling and performance. I beleive the F1's, like many others, are meant for high speed. To not break down in excessive heat/speed conditions (hence the Z rating).

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I've been over this issue a thousand times years ago on LS1.com about how to hook up the Z28. My best times where when I did not burn out and the track had lots of rubber on it.

If I purchased DR's, no doubt I would have pulled a 12.8/9 at least in the 90 degree heat...

AS for the clutch. How long will it last driving the hell out of it and slipping it at the track?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I know Drag radial need heat.. DUH! But street radial tires DO NOT! That I am also certain of.

BTW: Exact compund of an F1? I do not know, bit it aint all rubber nor was it built for use at the track (eg burn-outs to make sticky).

There are tires that are built to get better with heat and tires that are meant for all seasons (rain, cold, hot) and to LAST and not break down too fast in these conditions and yet provide some good all around handling and performance. I beleive the F1's, like many others, are meant for high speed. To not break down in excessive heat/speed conditions (hence the Z rating).

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I've been over this issue a thousand times years ago on LS1.com about how to hook up the Z28. My best times where when I did not burn out and the track had lots of rubber on it.

If I purchased DR's, no doubt I would have pulled a 12.8/9 at least in the 90 degree heat...

AS for the clutch. How long will it last driving the hell out of it and slipping it at the track?

Ok, I am not sure why I want to post yet again in this thread. But I don't understand why you would make a post about results at the track that you are not happy with, then when people attempt to help with good advice, you respond that they are wrong and that you are right. Well the proof is in the pudding as they say, and the proof in this case is that more than one guy on this board has gone better than 12.8 to 12.9 with a stock '03 Cobra without needing drag radials. I went 12.722 all stock on the f1's in mid 90 degree heat so I know it is possible.

Now all tracks are different, but so far I have gone to all three tracks around me and gotten at least 1 1.8xx 60 ft at each track. I don't think it is the track, it is the technique.

I guess I am one of the retarded ones that will keep doing a slight burn out on my F1's.

JT

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I was just arguing a particular point. I am not clueless here. I just need some help. If I had done some reading on this subject and someone contradicts what I've learned, I need to make the point so others dont get confused...

Users who are viewing this thread